Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

pause bench press - (3 seconds)
    5x3 195 lbs (felt really good, very similar to last week, which is good, because this week is heavier. I felt more comfortable holding the weight in the bottom position. I changed my wrist positioning so my wrists are straighter, it affects mechanics at the shoulder, feels like it is harder to tuck elbows and bring barbell down lower on my torso, but it felt perhaps stronger. I'll stick with it and see what happens.
    2x10 w/ 175 lbs (kind of fall out of tight groove on reps 8-10, not used to that kind of fatigue)

OHP -
    2x10 w/ 120 lbs (this was pretty tough because I did so much pressing volume before these. If I cut out the 10 rep sets of bench, these will feel a lot stronger I'm sure. I'll continue to progress these by 5 lbs per week. I might start wearing a belt on these again, but haven't done so in several months).

wide grip pronated t-bar row -
    6x10 w/ 100 lbs

OHEE cable -
    2x20 #130

cable curl -
    2x15 #100

Awesome session. Everything felt great today.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

deadlift -
    1x1,2,3,4 w/ 455 lbs (no belt first 2 sets. 2 reps at 455 lbs was a no belt PR. belt for last 2 sets. MG all sets. deadlifting felt pretty tough today, fell a bit out of the groove on some reps (let weight get too far in front of me) but had some more in the tank on the last set. I will use a belt on all sets for the rest of this phase). When I warmed up DOH with 405, my grip was notable weaker, as the bar was slipping out of my hand. I don't know if I just wasn't focused enough. I felt a bit off mentally today. Had a hard time feeling confident when initiating the pull)

back squat -
    3x8 w/ 205 lbs (felt really good, dare I say enjoyable. Back squats are feeling more and more comfortable. I realize that I can't start with a really vertical position like I've been trying to. Starting with a a bit of a forward lean, but still braced with hips locked out, works best for getting in the groove.)

RDL -
    3x6 w/ 305 lbs (first 2 sets felt good, but the 3rd DESTROYED me. oi. straps all sets)

calf raise -
    4x15 w/ #12

side plank with arm OH -
    several sets

Today was all about getting in, hitting my numbers, and getting out. I felt totally exhausted by the end of this session, which was not expected. I think the reason why I felt so destroyed, and why the RDLs were (and have been) so hard this phase is because I am pulling heavy deadlifts at an overall higher volume compared to what my body is used to. I used to work up to these heavier deadlifts for a single set. But now I'm doing multiple sets with really heavy weight.
    Last edited by fufu; 11-02-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

^ In addition to closing notes. I keep wondering if I am getting weaker, but I have to remember I'm pulling heavier weights at a higher volume, and I set a beltless PR today. Also, doing beltless before wearing a belt makes the belted deadlifts harder, because beltless are slower and more fatiguing. When I look at things objectively, I am getting stronger. I just feel weaker because I'm pushing my self closer to my limit than I'm used to.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

bench press -
    5x2 w/ 245 lbs (felt pretty good overall, but some guy kept talking to me during benching it was impairing my focus. on the 1st rep of the 2nd set, I fell way out of the groove experimenting with a wrist position change, it was a grinder rep. I reset my position and my 2nd rep went up way faster. More left in the tank. I will progress by 5 lb increments from this point on.)

flat DB bench press -
    1x12 w/ x2 95 lbs (pretty sure this is a PR)
    1x11 w/ x2 95 lbs (failed on the 12th rep...this is a rare occurrence, failing a rep, but at least I PRed on the previous set, so it's acceptable)

WCU -
    3x3 +50 lbs (supinated) (felt relatively easy)

unilateral DB row -
    3x10 each side w/ 115 lbs (solid)

rear delt facepull -
    2x12 #130 w/ 1 second pause at full retraction

plank -
    3x30 seconds

EZ bar preacher curl -
    2x12 w/ 25 lbs on each side

OHEE -
    2x15 w/ 75 lbs

Good stuff. Felt a bit off today, but I hit my numbers. I set the intensity pretty high at the beginning of this phase, and I;m feeling it, just 3 weeks in. I'm going to have to make some adjustments so I don't peak too quickly.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

back squat -
    5x3 w/ 275 lbs (no belt, no knee sleeves, as usual. first set felt pretty heavy, but sets got easier as they went on. set #4 felt the best. did a quick video from the side to check depth. I was getting well below depth, even when I thought I might be squatting too high, good to know. More left in the tank. Was in and out of the groove today)

belt squat -
    3x12 w/ 120 lb (working on keeping an upright torso by bracing hard before descent, putting more stress on quads)

barbell back extension -
    3x10 w/ 155 lbs PR (third week doing these)

roll out from knees -
    3x7 (felt easy today)

calf raise -
    4x10 #17

fat bar static holds - (grip has been decreasing a bit, i think it is because I stopped doing RDLs twice a week)
    multiple sets

Good stuff.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

pause bench press - (3 count)
    5x3 w/ 205 lbs (sets got easier as they went on. there was generally a big difference between the 2nd and 3rd rep, as in speed would decrease a lot. I can progress this for at least another week at 10 lbs. I might change the parameters for this one soon though (e.g. shorter pause or less reps/sets)

bench press -
    1x10 w/ 185 lbs (just doing one set of these now, reps were snappy)

OHP -
    2x10 w/ 125 lbs (this felt notably easier than last week, even though the weight is lighter. I think only doing one bench set of 10 helps a lot, as I don't burn out my pressing muscles. beltless first set, belt on 2nd, although belt didn't seem to do anything)

t-bar row with neutral grip -
    6x10 w/ 110 lbs

seated neutral grip cable row -
    2x10 #135 (tbar row didn't seem to tax my back enough, so I did these for more volume)

OHEE -
    2x20 #120 (used rope, forget to use stiff handle, make note to use stiff handle next session)

single arm cable preacher curl -
    1x10
    2x12 each side w/ #50

t-spine mobility
    hop mobility

Awesome session.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

deadlift -
    1x1,2,3,4 w/ 465 lbs (MG, belt 4th notch on all sets)(I had a hard time getting mentally focused today, I continue to feel less-than-confident when initiating the pull. It took a lot to nail that last set. Maybe had 1 more in the tank. In the coming weeks, I'll be doing sets of 2 on the deadlift, with maybe some higher rep PR attempts at lighter weights)

squats -
    3x8 w/ 215 lbs (felt like I could brace well, reps were snappy and fairly fast, even the last ones, a lot left in the tank)

RDL -
    3x6 w/ 315 lbs (really focused on bracing hard, keeping upper back tight, and keeping bar close to thighs. really tough, but felt better than last week)

calf raise -
    3x15 w/ 185 lbs

side plank -
    multiple sets

Tough one. Felt destroyed at the end, like last week. Back felt really good. It didn't bother me at all, except just a tinge on a couple squat reps. A few hours after training, it feels really good. I was bracing hard and was really aware of my lower back positioning today, and I think it helped.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

bench press -
    5x2 w/ 250 lbs (felt really good overall. I was on a different bench, so my set up wasn't 100% where it needs to be. I unracked the bar and let it settle too far forward towards my feet at least once (this was because the bench i was using today allows me to get my head further behind the bar when unracking, which is actually better for me, but I just wasn't used to it), causing me to start the descent with the bar too forward, and this made my fall out of the groove on one rep in particular where the weight came to a complete stop on the way up, before I got it back into positioning. It was purely a good thing. A bit let in the tank, and perhaps a fair about more if I psyched up, which I wasn't doing too hard today). Next session make sure to not have head too far behind bar when unracking)

flat DB bench press -
    1x10 w/ x2 100 lbs PR (had nothing left in the tank, absolutely roasted my pecs. Happy about the PR.)
    1x12 w/ x2 75 lbs

weighted chin up -
    1x3 +55 lbs (i just cut the rest of these out, it's too much volume at this point, and too fatiguing for my lats before the rows)

unilateral DB row -
    3x10 each side w/ 120 lbs (solid)

rear delt facepull -
    3x12 #100 w/ 1 second pause at full retraction

plank -
    3x35 seconds

preacher curl machine -
    2x10 #100 (next week go lighter and do more reps)

OHEE EZ bar -
    2x15 w/ 80 lbs

Awesome session.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

back squat -
    5x3 w/ 285 lbs (no belt, no knee sleeves. felt good, had the groove pretty well on some reps, and others I found myself bending forward a bit too much on the ascent, or shifting the weight to my right side. a bit more in the tank.)

belt squat -
    3x12 w/ 130 lbs PR (these were tough)

barbell 45 degree back extension -
    3x10 w/ 175 lbs PR(accidentally progressed by 20 lbs from last week, instead of 10. regardless, these felt the best they have since I started doing them. I am getting the technique better, and can lock these out with a lot of posterior chain activation. First two sets felt really solid, but the last few reps of the last set were surprinsingly hard. I felt specific muscles in the adductors getting really fatigued. This is such a weird feeling exercise compared to what I normally do for deadlift assistance.)

roll outs from knees -
    3x8 (relatively easy)

calf raise on leg press -
    1x10 w/ #205,220,235,250,265

Good stuff. Felt pretty wrecked when leaving the gym.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

pause bench press - (3 second pause)
    5x3 w/ 215 lbs (felt really in the groove today, it was great. difficulty was the same as last week. I will progress by 10 lbs again next week.)

bench press -
    1x10 w/ 195 lbs (I might cut these out next week to reduce overall volume and improve my performance on the OHP)

OHP -
    2x10 w/ 130 lbs (felt solid, first set was relatively easy, but last rep of last set was a grinder)

neutral grip tbar row -
    6x10 w/ 120 lbs

seated cable row neutral grip -
    2x10 #150

OHEE cable w/ stiff handle -
    2x20 #130

single arm cable preacher curl - (incline bench set to notch #4)
    3x10 each side #60

t-spine mobility
    shoulder mobility
    hip mobility

Today I felt great. I was mentally focused, and felt good physically.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

deadlift -
    worked up to 475, was supposed to do 3x2 with 475, but when I went to pull rep one of set one, I just didn't have it in me. I broke the weight off the ground slightly, and I felt weak in my upper back , and gave up. Over the past several weeks, I have not felt comfortable initiating the pull, and today I couldn't get my mind in it. I attempted 475 again, but I barely gave an effort. Just wasn't happening. This was very disappointing as I've pulled 525 lbs for a 1RM, and pulled 475 in the past as a 4RM, yet I could not get 475 for one.
    I knocked the way back down to 315 and warmed back up and then did:
    1x8 w/ 425 lbs PR (at least another left in the tank, maybe 2. I wanted to redeem myself with a higher rep PR today. It was tougher than expected, but hey, it's a PR, so I have no reason to complain.)

RDL -
    2x6 w/ 325 lbs
    1x9 w/ 325 lbs PR (was still feeling like I had to compensate for my poor deadlift performance)

back squat -
    3x8 w/ 225 lbs

side plank -
    multiple sets each side

smith machine calf raise -
    3x15 w/ 195 lbs

Was destroyyyeedddd at the end, but was very happy to have hit 2 PRs. My strength is confusing me. I remember struggling with 3x6 w/ 305 on the RDL 2 weeks ago, and then I hit a very confident and powerful 325 lbs x9 on my THIRD SET, but deadlifts were not there! I just didn't feel like I could get a tight position when initiating the pull, and my confidence was not there. I just felt uncomfortable. Sometimes when deadlifting the weight feels heavy as fuck, but I feel very confident in my positioning. I am going to re-assess how I will be training my deadlift for this phase. I am considering working on hitting some higher rep PRs, like I did today.

fufu's 1337 Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Today -

warm up

bench press -
    4x2 w/ 255 lbs PR (these felt really solid and in the groove, especially the 1st set (where I felt like I had 2 more solid in the tank)).

flat DB bench press -
    2x4 w/ x2 110 lbs PR (these felt really solid)
    1x15 w/ x2 75 lbs

unilateral DB row -
    2x10 each side w/ 125 lbs
    1x12 each side w/ 125 lbs

rear delt facepull -
    3x12 #110 w/ 1 second pause at full retraction

plank -
    3x40 seconds

machine preacher curl -
    3x12 #70

EZ bar OHEE -
    2x15 w/ 85 lbs

hip mobility
    t-spine mobility
    shoulder mobility

Awesome session. I felt fantastic today.
    I feel like the pause benching is really helping with my overall bench strength.

fufu's 1337 Journal