• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Secondary muscles failing before primary

Salil

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
When I do my back exercises, back press and front press, my forearms usually get very stiff and pain a lot. Hence, I feel I can't exercise my back enough since my forearms fail much before my back does. I never do exercise my forearms. Do you think that this might be the reason that my forearms fail before back? The same kind of scenario happens when I do abdomen exercises. My back fails before my abs? What should one do in such scenarios? Change ones rountinue or exercise more of the muscles that fail?

What are back and front presses? I think you're using the wrong names. Pressing movements don't really involve back musculature.

You could use wrist straps so that your grip doesn't limit your back development. However, I would also implement some additional grip training to help alleviate this problem.

Hello Cowpimp, The exercises I am mentioning are the 'Behind neck pull down' and 'Front Pull Down'. when I do these exercises for the back then it stresses my forearms a lot more. What is additional grip training?

Don't do them behind the neck, it's bad for your shoulders and offers no benefits over doing them in front.

Additional grip training would be like static holds, farmer's walks, and gorilla hangs...

During pulldowns/pullups try and concentrate on pulling with your back rather than your arms.

I use straps for rows and shrugs and I can hang onto a pulldown bar forever with no straps at all. You might very well be using more forearm strength than you need to by bending the wrist, it may take some time to get used to movements to where you only fatigue the muscle intended.

I see and hear of people with wrist strain on bench presses as well, which is mostly poor form.

I use straps for rows and shrugs and I can hang onto a pulldown bar forever with no straps at all.

So why use straps?

Salil said:
When I do my back exercises, back press and front press, my forearms usually get very stiff and pain a lot. Hence, I feel I can't exercise my back enough since my forearms fail much before my back does. I never do exercise my forearms. Do you think that this might be the reason that my forearms fail before back? The same kind of scenario happens when I do abdomen exercises. My back fails before my abs? What should one do in such scenarios? Change ones rountinue or exercise more of the muscles that fail?

Grip strength and form have a lot to do with it. Both can be improved. For that last bit you can use straps. Many people will tell you not to use straps but if it helps you get a better back workout then why not?

KarlW said:
Grip strength and form have a lot to do with it. Both can be improved. For that last bit you can use straps. Many people will tell you not to use straps but if it helps you get a better back workout then why not?

I think straps are okay if your goal is bodybuilding. However, use them wisely. Don't overuse them. Save them for the sets that you truly need them, and attempt to progress without them.

KarlW said:

OK, What is grip strength? I think it is the strength by which one grips the bar and is linked to the strength of the wrist correct? Now what is form? Is it the way one does the exercise? And my left wrist does pain when I do the bench press. How do I correct my form?

KarlW said:
So why use straps?

Because I obviously desire to use them for certain movements so I can use more weight. I kind of thought that was obvious.

IML Gear Cream!
I have the same problem as salil on some exercises. For exemple if i am doing real hard stiff legged deadlifts (where one needs to use leg muscles) my left forearm will "fail" when grabbing heavy weights. Its stupid because i want to train legs but i cant because my left forearm wil fail, lol (btw, i am in the very beggining, so my left arm still be much weaker than right one).

Mudge said:
Because I obviously desire to use them for certain movements so I can use more weight. I kind of thought that was obvious.

yes it is. I misread your post.

Back