NapsGear.net

Ever have such a shitty workout that youd want to leave early?

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Angry Ever have such a shitty workout that youd want to leave early?

I saw todays workout through.

But I was pissed. Deadlifts before squats. Naturally squats suffered, but I supposed I got surprised. Thus, I got pissed.

But I made it to calfs.

This isnt the first time this has happened of course.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

I do it atleast once a month....but it is not because it's not going as planned, it is because I feel like I might be overtraining or comming up on an injury.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Read my today's journal entry -

Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Usually if I have a shitty workout I just want to stay longer and make up for it, unless it's because I started to feel ill during the workout or something.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Usually if I have a shitty workout I just want to stay longer and make up for it, unless it's because I started to feel ill during the workout or something.

Yeah you could stay longer. Then come on here, post up what you did today, and read replies saying you over did it.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA
    Yeah you could stay longer. Then come on here, post up what you did today, and read replies saying you over did it.
    Heh, yeah. I never actually do stay longer because I know it won't do me any good, but I just get the urge to sometimes.

1RM Videos

3UZFE

Rep Points

i GOTEM EVRY NOW AND THEN.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have walked out twice because I wanted to do squats, but some shithead was using the only squat rack for curls. I have walked out, because I didn't feel like waiting on the retard to get through with his calve raises, mainly because he has 25lbs on the machine and wasn't even trying. I have left early because I injured my neck.
    Fucking Determined!

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA
    I saw todays workout through.

But I was pissed. Deadlifts before squats. Naturally squats suffered, but I supposed I got surprised. Thus, I got pissed.

But I made it to calfs.

This isnt the first time this has happened of course.
    Please don't take this as a flame but, why would you schedule deads and squats in the same session? That right there is an indication you're going to have a bad workout.

Had the same experience as KelJu, had to leave early because I pulled something in my neck. It was on stinkin' triceps pushdowns of all things. I was PISSED............and out of commission for a week and a half. Have also had shitty workouts due to lack of motivation/mind on other things. I forced myself to finish the workout, but didn't really get much out of them. Better than giving up though.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB
    Please don't take this as a flame but, why would you schedule deads and squats in the same session? That right there is an indication you're going to have a bad workout.
    I've done both in the same session many a times. I don't really see a problem with it. I might not hit total failure on both exercises in the same session, but that's another story entirely.

1RM Videos

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    I've done both in the same session many a times. I don't really see a problem with it. I might not hit total failure on both exercises in the same session, but that's another story entirely.
    Yeah, but you're not of this world.

Seriously, would you recommend someone design a routine that included deads and squats in the same session all the time? There are probably people that could handle it, but most wouldn't get the full benefit of both exercises.

Rep Points

I do it all the time, squats deads hypers calf raises and ab work, i also do front squats and cleans on the same day too....

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I did one rep of my 1st exercise (the squat) the other day{my 'legs' routine}. dumped the bar on the stand and walked out of the room. Reason was a sore knee, but I was also sore in the head.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish
    I do it all the time, squats deads hypers calf raises and ab work, i also do front squats and cleans on the same day too....
    What kind of weights are you using for squats and deads?

I don't ask that as a sign of disrespect, but it does make a difference. If I'm using anywhere near my max for squats and/or deads, it's not very likely I'm going to get the full effect of both if I try to do them both on the same day.

Look, I'm not saying it can't be done. As a matter of fact, I did it when I first started lifting. I found, and most others have found, that it's very difficult to get the full benefit of BOTH exercises if you try to do them in the same session. Anyone able to do a max squat routine and a max deadlift routine in the same workout is an animal that 90+% of the lifting world would be jealous of.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Happens regularly to me. About one workout out of every three weeks worth.
    Just a regular guy.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

What kind of weights are you using for squats and deads?

I don't ask that as a sign of disrespect, but it does make a difference. If I'm using anywhere near my max for squats and/or deads, it's not very likely I'm going to get the full effect of both if I try to do them both on the same day.

Look, I'm not saying it can't be done. As a matter of fact, I did it when I first started lifting. I found, and most others have found, that it's very difficult to get the full benefit of BOTH exercises if you try to do them in the same session. Anyone able to do a max squat routine and a max deadlift routine in the same workout is an animal that 90+% of the lifting world would be jealous of.
    I did have a recent discussion about this, but, even though I agree with you, I believe the opposition has some valid points.

-Take a look at powerlifting competitions - they certainly do max attempts with the three big lifts on the same day.
    -Take a look at olympic lifters - they put C&Js, snatches and front squats all in the same workouts and use very heavy weights.
    -Many people are able to successfully do this on a regular basis while seeing some kind of progress.

Of course, I have things to say about each of those points. First, there is typically a very long range of time between two different exercises for any one person in a powerlifting event (depending on how large it is, how it's organized, etc). Second, olympic lifters are terrible examples because they're the most elite lifters in the world - if they couldn't handle the workouts, they wouldn't be competing. To the last example, yes, certain people are capable of doing it. But are they using heavy weights? What are their RIs? Their ROMs? Their goals, supplements, etc?

Personally, I feel like separating the lifts has more support than putting them together. Think of Westside. They don't even do squats and deadlifts in the same week (heavy) as far as I know, nonetheless the same workout, and if Westside can't be considered a powerlifting authority, who can? I realize it's not the only authority, but you can't argue with the results it's produced. If putting the lifts on the same day were better, wouldn't Simmons have done that? I certainly think he has at least tried it in all his years of coaching and that he's found better results with separate days. Why else would the program be how it is?

In conclusion, yes, some people are probably fully capable of putting two extremely like movements in the same day with high intensity, decent RIs, full ROMs and are able to do it all naturally. But just because it's possible doesn't mean everyone is going to be successful in doing it, and I prefer to separate those lifts. I'm sure someone's going to get unnecessarily angry about this post, as is usually the case, but that's okay. It's simply a friendly discussion in my eyes and I'm interested in hearing everyone's points.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Yuppie

Rep Points

I had one recently after I had donated plasma for the first time. Other than that, I have not left the gym early in years. I have, however, skipped planned workouts when not feeling up to par (usually because I'm tired). I actually do this far more often than I would like; I just end up doing the workout a day later than planned.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Had the same experience as KelJu, had to leave early because I pulled something in my neck. It was on stinkin' triceps pushdowns of all things. I was PISSED............and out of commission for a week and a half. Have also had shitty workouts due to lack of motivation/mind on other things. I forced myself to finish the workout, but didn't really get much out of them. Better than giving up though.

Since it was a leg day, I did Hams followed by quads. I USUALLY do squats first but for variety, I switched. I usually go pretty heavy.

But. When I first started this program, it was tough to do. But after the 2nd week, my energy returned and I was able to exert as much force on the 2nd exercise as I did with the first.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Yeah, but you're not of this world.

Seriously, would you recommend someone design a routine that included deads and squats in the same session all the time? There are probably people that could handle it, but most wouldn't get the full benefit of both exercises.
    Maybe not all the time no. Your body needs a break from that kind of stress sometimes, but that's why periodization is a good idea. Also, like I said, I probably wouldn't train both to total failure in the same session (Though I've done that too, but I was doing HIT and the routine was extremely low volume) much or at all.

1RM Videos

SFR Bike Crew

Rep Points

see today's journal. first time this is happened in awhile. havent had a d/d grade in since nov i think.
    It's always in the details.

Rep Points

When I am having a shitty day at the weights, I usually just quit and do cardio instead. That way I feel I at least I accomplished something.
    Height: 6' 6"
    Weight: 244lbs

Rep Points

About 6 months ago I had a big night out, drank quite abit. Woke up 9 or 10 hours later and wasn't feeling too bad at all, so decided to do my chest/bi workout. I managed 3 sets of DB bench and 1 set of machine incline before i started feeling queezy. Took me about 5 seconds to say "fuck this" and walk out.

Rep Points

if I have sex before I go to the gym it makes my workouts suck and I usually get pissed and do cardio.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

today was my first day from taking 2 weeks off, it was pretty bad. My strength was down quite a bit, I was so pissed I left half way through, but then turned back around about half way home and went back to finish my workout. I hate coming back from breaks!
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Rep Points

I had a shitty workout this evening.

I guess all that running up and down the basketball court yesterday affected my lifts a little.