NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Question's regarding Deadlift's!

Rep Points

Exclamation Question's regarding Deadlift's!

I like to do deadlift's in my training. At my gym I can only use DB's to perform them! So anyway, I done this exercise first time the other day loved it!

I overtrained slightly though I've really taxed my hams/lower back! I included them on my leg day is this right or should they be on back day?

I done 3sets im a beginner! 1set of 12, 1 of 10 and 1 of 8 do you think this is too much?

Also, how should my grip on the DB's be, I notice on BB dealifts you have each hand opposite! Should you do this with DB's?

I kept my legs straight nearly locked at the knees throughout the movement is this right? I tried to keep my back as straight as poosible as I do with sqauts is this the way?

Please try and answer these question's, because I am concerned about my form with this exercise and I know it's such a good one, I have to pluck up alot of courage to perform them!

Thanks in advance, Happy training! Raz.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

When to do deads isn't carved in stone. MOST lifters do them on back day since they are primarily a back exercise. The way you described them though, mostly straight legs, is called stiff legged deadlifts. They primarily work the hams and glutes. For that reason you could do them on leg day. Your choice. I would caution you though, if you choose to do them on leg day they will severely limit your ability to do a good heavy squat routine that same day. Lifters that do deads on leg day normally alternate between deads and squats. Do one this week and the other next week and so on and so forth. That's another reason most lifters do deads on back day, they don't like to miss squats on ANY week.

Keeping your back straight, as you described, is an absolute MUST when doing deads. If your shoulders move forward, pulling your back into a rounded position, you're headed for a major back injury. The rule I use is to ALWAYS do deads in front of a mirror. When lifting, look yourself in the eyes and never take your eyes off your eyes. That will keep your head up and your back straight. One of the worst injuries I ever received while lifiting was on a stinkin' warm up set of deads. I wasn't paying attention to strict form because, as I said, it was only a warm up set. I felt a massive pop in my back and a guy from the other side of the gym came running because even he heard it. I wasn't right for almost two years after that.

The grip. The reason for the opposing hands grip on the bar is to keep it from rolling out of your hands. When you use the DB's, you probably notice they try to roll out of your grip. With a bar, if you place one hand overhand and the other underhand, they work toward each other, giving you a much better grip on the bar. If you keep doing deads with DB's you're gonna have awesome forearms. Nothing wrong with that.

12,10 and 8 reps is a good routine. I wouldn't go any lower than 8 until you get to be a bit more advanced. You're better off working on perfecting your form now and building a stong base. Later on you can experiment with huge weights and lower reps.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Rep Points

Hey thanks for the answers buddy they've helped out alot! I'm certain your right too! Usually when I train legs, I do 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg presses and 2 sets of leg curls, but yestersday I added dead's so my routine was like this: 3sets of squats, 4sets of dead's, 3sets of leg presses (was really tougher than normal) and the 2sets of leg curls! I'm absolutely taxed today think ive really overtrained and if I train 'back' tomorrow could do some serious damage! If only I knew sooner dammit!

Rep Points

Hey thanks for the answers buddy they've helped out alot! I'm certain your right too! Usually when I train legs, I do 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg presses and 2 sets of leg curls, but yestersday I added dead's so my routine was like this: 3sets of squats, 4sets of dead's, 3sets of leg presses (was really tougher than normal) and the 2sets of leg curls! I'm absolutely taxed today think ive really overtrained and if I train back tomorrow could do sokme serios damage! If only I knew sooner dammit!