• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Step ups?

Bakerboy

cat burglar
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do any of you know the exact muscles used when doing high box step ups?

Some people I talk to say they hit your quads more than your hams. I feel them mostly in my hams, butt and a little bit in my hips. But I am not sure if this is because my quads are stronger from my years of cycling.

I need to work on my hams... but I don't like doings stiff legged deadlifts all the time because it aggrevates an old lower back ingury. Any ideas?

Thanks. I am new to this forum. The advice here, for the most part, seems pretty solid. Pfunk seems to have consistently sound advice. I am a former semi pro cyclist but would like to get more seriously into strength training.

Stats: Age 34
140lbs
5' 7"

I feel the same...On the explode up, I feel it more in my hams and butt....But if I go slow I feel them in my quads

Yeah that make sense... So do you vary how high you step up?
It seems that when I step up higher my hams get more of the action.

Do low deep DB squats activate your hams more that 90 degree squats???
Or it still mainly a quad exercise???

Bakerboy said:
Yeah that make sense... So do you vary how high you step up?
It seems that when I step up higher my hams get more of the action.

Do low deep DB squats activate your hams more that 90 degree squats???
Or it still mainly a quad exercise???

Generally stepups are considered hamstring-dominant. Making the box higher should only increase the emphasis on your posterior chain.

Going deeper on squats definietly calls on more butt and hamstrings, yes. Taking a wider stance also achieves the same effect.

Back