Fish Oil toxins

Thread: Fish Oil toxins

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Fish Oil toxins

I was working with this women this past week. I was telling her about how I take fish oils capsules. She had read bad things about the toxins stored in the fats. She sent me this today. Check it out. Comments.

While there is no doubt about the beneficial effects of omega 3 fatty acids in your diet, this article seems to suggest that reduced rates of morbidity from cardiovascular disease as a result of consuming fish oil may be offset by morbidity due to the toxins in the oil.
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...ll/106/21/2747

I don't want to be too alarmist, but a quick survey of the literature suggests that my fears about mercury and dioxin levels in fish oil were not unfounded. However it seems it is possible with a little research to find sources with lower levels of toxins. Those may from fish bodies rather than livers and from fish lower on the food chain, because as I was explaining toxins are stored in fat. So in simple terms, the more carnivorous fish another carnivorous fish has eaten the more cumulative the levels of mercury, dioxin and POP's. are . In the article http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3013797
    http://www.all-creatures.org/health/chewing.html
    Thanks for everything last week. I had a lot of fun. Hope to see you in Boston.
    Connie
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

It's sad that mercury is such an issue, but I believe that molecullarly distilled fish oil has virtually no mercury in it. Also, certain kinds of fish contain much higher levels of mercury than others.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I take Member's Mark Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1000mg softgels. About 6-8 a day. How do I know if they area good or not?
    "A child does not learn to squat from the top down -- in other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and makes the conscious decision to stand." - Gray Cook

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Doublebase
    I take Member's Mark Omega 3 Fish Oil. 1000mg softgels. About 6-8 a day. How do I know if they area good or not?
    Is there any information on the packaging about the filtration process? On their website?
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Fish oils are generally tested for mercury etc and are not allowed on the market if they fail.

You can look here: http://www.consumerlabs.com/results/omega3.asp
    To see if there is information about your specific brand.
    ~

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I can't find any info on my brand. Should I continue using it? I get a good deal on my brand so I would prefer to stick with it.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I can't find any info on my brand. Should I continue using it? I get a good deal on my brand so I would prefer to stick with it.
    Please keep taking in it! In fact, double the dose.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

I am 99% sure it would be fine... If you are overly concerned - contact the manufacturer.
    ~

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by topolo
    Please keep taking in it! In fact, double the dose.
    why?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    I am 99% sure it would be fine... If you are overly concerned - contact the manufacturer.
    I know you are very knowledgable about this stuff. How can you be so sure that the levels of mercury are not harmful?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

why?

Because hopefully it is full of toxins

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by topolo
    Because hopefully it is full of toxins
    and what will that do?

Rep Points

I know you are very knowledgable about this stuff. How can you be so sure that the levels of mercury are not harmful?

Maker's Mark is a Sam's Club/Walmart brand. My guess is that they woud pass regs, but barely. With supps, you always get what you pay for, the more yo upay, the better the quality of the ingredients. Robert and Gena Dimaggio recognized this, and because of the current state of the supplement industry, they started IronMag Labs.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Maker's Mark is a Sam's Club/Walmart brand. My guess is that they woud pass regs, but barely. With supps, you always get what you pay for, the more yo upay, the better the quality of the ingredients. Robert and Gena Dimaggio recognized this, and because of the current state of the supplement industry, they started IronMag Labs.
    Is this a token IML post, you failed to meet quota last month

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    So are these fish oil pills doing more harm then good?

Rep Points

So are these fish oil pills doing more harm then good?

Probably not, assuming the FDA is looking out for your best interest.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Rep Points

I take the same brand. Member's Mark.

Some of the better sources are free of mercury and it may be good to choose an organic source for fish oil supplements.
    A possible good alternative is a flax oil blend to get the necessary Omegas. One such option to check out is Udos Choice Oil Blend which offers a good organic source oil blend.

Hope this info helps

TM
    www.AmpedNutrition.com