Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Frustrated with final ~15 pounds; Need diet advice

Rep Points

Frustrated with final ~15 pounds; Need diet advice

Hey guys,

I'm an 18 year old freshmen college student. I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now, the posts have helped me a lot with learning about weight lifting and any questions I have. At any rate, I'm getting frustrated and impatient with the final pounds of fat I want to burn off, I'm looking for advice. Let me first give a quick backstory.

Ever since fifth grade, I've been overweight. It's has negatively affected me in a lot of ways, and so last summer I finally decided I was going to do something about it and get fit and healthy. So, starting from around August of '05, I set out to a plan of a healthy, calorie-watching diet plan with lots of cardio and lots of weightlifting. I did my homework and researched all that I needed to know about weight lifting (which I had never much done before). My goal: get slim and trim and add some muscle to be cut, essentially with the physique of a typical athlete (medium distance runner/basketball player). I'm not going for the bulkier bodybuilding look.

In any event, over the past 8 months, I've made tremendous progress. At 5'10, I've gone from 205 pounds to 180 pounds, gaining a significant amount of muscle along the way. At a minimum I lost 30 pounds of fat, probably more. My strength has gone up tremendously, probably doubling or tripling in most respects. And the cardio has made me healthier overall and greatly increased my endurance. I'm happy with this.

However, despite attempts at carb cycling, increasing exercise, and being more careful with the kinds of foods I eat, I've been stuck in a plateau for the past 2-3 months. I'm at a point where I'm not overweight, but I'm certainly not lean, and I want to get there. Here's my question: what would be a relatively safe and fully effective way to lose 10-15 pounds of fat over the next 2 months. I don't mind having to lose a few pounds of muscle, that's alright with me - I'll work on gaining it back afterward if I so desire. Maybe it's my history of being overweight, but the excess fat that I have bugs quite a bit, and my main goal is being lean and soon (8 months and still not there). At any rate, what caloric intake level (and protein/fat/carb combo) would you suggest given that I'm willing to lose a few pounds of muscle as long as I can lose a significant amount of fat without waiting another half year or more? Surely losing another 7 pounds a month for two months isn't unreasonable or unhealthy? I'm willing to now accept a small amount of muscle loss, the wait to get lean is taking simply too long for me.

Last but not least, I put up photos...two from the beginning of the diet from last summer (they are the last two in the batch), and the rest are from this month. You'll notice significant progress, but I still have a bit to go in terms of fat loss (which again, is my main priority). Note that some of the pics I'm not fully flexed because I was holding the camera myself for the photos.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    (Btw, what would you estimate my bf% to be?)

Rep Points

hmm hard to say bro but if your goal is to lose more weight your going to have to take it easy and not get frustrated. Obviously you are maintaining your weight with the calorie intake that you are using right now so try dropping it by 200-300 calories a day and you should loose a lb every 10-18 days .

i think i read somewhere you need to eat 10-12 calories per lb to cut. Personally i think you've been on a diet too long and need to feed the body

Rep Points

congrats on your work so far. Help us out and tell us a little bit more. Do you have a set calorie intake right now? If you do, lower it by 300 a day. 1900 calories/day sounds like it would be a good place to be. Try to get 200 grams of protein a day, 40 grams of healthy fat, and then fill the rest of your diet out with healthy carbs. Continue to workout alot, and try to keep it to heavy compound lifts, which will burn lots more calories. Focus on bench press, shoulder presses, squats, deadlifts, lat pulldowns/chin ups, and rows. If you havent been working your legs, start. You'll gain some muscle fast and that will help you lose some fat. Another thing is that you shouldnt sit around and watch tv. If you're working out, you'll burn calories, but you're not burning shit when you sit around. Get out, walk around, go to the mall, whatever it takes to get you off your feet. Mainly just be patient. When i first started dieting, my goal was to lose 30 pounds, and i went to way fast. Take it easy on progress. You'll get there eventually.

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm in this same situation. At this point, every pound I lose kills my strength, so I'm going off the diet for a week or two and upping the cals to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Rep Points

jeez man awsome progress
    As of March 06
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 140 lbs

Goal for May 06
    Achieve 10% bodyfat
    FranktheTank's Journal

Rep Points

eat everything in site u will gain that 15 pounds dont lose focus

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by aceshigh
    eat everything in site u will gain that 15 pounds dont lose focus
    He wants to lose 15 pounds not gain that amount.
    As of March 06
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 140 lbs

Goal for May 06
    Achieve 10% bodyfat
    FranktheTank's Journal