• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Protein...How much

EricCamper

Graphics Guru
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
How much protein is TOO MUCH to consume at one time......

1 scoop of my powder is 17 grams....But I like to do 2. I thought the magic number was like 40 or something...

Thanx all

EricCamper said:
How much protein is TOO MUCH to consume at one time......

1 scoop of my powder is 17 grams....But I like to do 2. I thought the magic number was like 40 or something...

Thanx all
1 to 1.25 grams per LB of body weight. So a 200lb guy will do fine with 200-250 grams a day. The guys who eat more are on steroids or just eat too much of it because of all the propaganda in the Muscle mags.

ForemanRules said:
1 to 1.25 grams per LB of body weight. So a 200lb guy will do fine with 200-250 grams a day. The guys who eat more are on steroids or just eat too much of it because of all the propaganda in the Muscle mags.

That is true if you believe the body builders

If you believe the scientists that study this stuff, it is more like 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.

But I think the question was about how much protein could the body absorb and use in one meal... which is probably around 35-40 grams

I believe its all relative to your own personal needs. You can't just say "0.8 grams per pound of body weight is the ideal amount of protein for everyone."

Personally I like to stick to 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM

I am 225lbs @ 11-12% bf, so I consume about 200 grams of protein (I only count whey, chicken, lean meat, fish, etc..) It comes out to roughly 33 grams per meal.

But then again, I feel for me at least there is absolutely no need to be THAT exact.

Last edited:
fUnc17 said:
I believe its all relative to your own personal needs. You can't just say "0.8 grams per pound of body weight is the ideal amount of protein for everyone."

Personally I like to stick to 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM

I am 225lbs @ 11-12% bf, so I consume about 200 grams of protein (I only count whey, chicken, lean meat, fish, etc..) It comes out to roughly 33 grams per meal.

But then again, I feel for me at least there is absolutely no need to be THAT exact.

I am just saying that the studies generally show that eating protein up to 0.6 grams per pound of body weight helped weight lifters build muscle mass. From 0.6-0.8, the added protein didn't make a huge difference in the test groups. The 0.8, 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 test groups all showed the same amount of muscle growth suggesting eating more than 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight didn't really help. There was a big difference between the 0.4 and 0.6 groups though.

The average body builder will tell you that you need much more than the study suggests.

NeilPearson said:
That is true if you believe the body builders

If you believe the scientists that study this stuff, it is more like 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.

But I think the question was about how much protein could the body absorb and use in one meal... which is probably around 35-40 grams
True, the highest and most researched medical study I have read said .9 was all you need...so 1-1.25 is a tiny bit higher.

Cool Thanx...Yeah...I was wondering how much at one time....Like if I took 80 at once...I would just get rid of the rest through...well....Poop...lol I am about 175 and I get about 150 a day......today I had 4 shakes....chicken....fruits veggies....etc...etc....One bar and that was about 160....So I think that should be enough.....hopefully

Thanx

There is no magic figure -
The body can ABSORB a LOT of protein in one meal - the bodies digestive system has the enzymatic capacity to digest and absorb amounts far in excess of what anyone would need (the only time this is not the case is if you have a medical condition which limits your ability to digest the protein or you consume MASSIVE MASSIVE amounts - in which case the bulk of the meal will push the protein through your intestines at a speed that will overwhelm your enzymatic capacity)...

However, the amount your body can actually UTILISE is completely different.... (That is - the amount of protein that your body will use as amino acids for muscle growth and repair, for enzymes, for hormone formation and for other cells and their biochemical processes..). This is related to your lean mass, your metabolism/physiology, your hormone levels, what type of workouts you are doing/how active you are etc etc... And it is very hard to determine just how much your body needs (however - The levels of protein that we all take in actually far exceed our actual requirements)....

eg: a 200 pound juiced man with 8% BF and a 110 pound female with 25% BF may both digest/absorb a meal with 50g of protein in it - but their ability to utilise that protein as PROTEIN will be vastly different.

So, in the case above, if that smaller female ate 50g of protein the excess amino acids that are not needed for their repair/growth purposes will be deaminated and converted to energy via gluconeogenesis... And if you don't need glucose at that point in time, then will then be stored as glycogen (and, in the event that all your glycogen stores are packed up then it will go one step further and be converted to be stored as fat).

But it is safe to say that if you get ~1-1.5g protein per pound lean mass (usually 1.2 to 1.5 to be on the 'safe side') and make sure most of that is from complete forms, and then you divide that evenly over your day then you don't need to worry about just 'how much you can digest/absorb/utilise as will be getting more than enough to give your body all the amino acids it needs...

Previous discussions:
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=60754
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=39473
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=50381
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=52153
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=47914
http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=50724

Like if I took 80 at once...I would just get rid of the rest through...well....Poop

No, actually, you'd likely store the rest as fat depending on how much activity you performed before you ate.

Back