• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Powerlifting

Jay-Budaman

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What would be a respectable powerlifting score for someone who weighs 200 lbs? I could probably put up about 1050 right now. 400 deadlift, 400 squat, 250 bench. Thats as high as I'll go w/o a spotter. I'm going for a 300 lb bench, 400 lb squat and 500 lb deadlift, thats my goal one day. I was looking up some scores and it looks like the 181 pounders are consistently stronger than the 200 pounders. Any ideas on why that is?

What is good really is going to depend on what federation you are competiting in....do they allow all kinds of gear (shirts, squat suits, etc..) or is it a RAW association. What about drug testing? etc...that stuff all has to be taken into account.

The reason why there is an overlap between weight classes is because of guys dieting down. For example. The guys at the top of one weight class may lift just as heavy or heavier then some of the guys at the bottom (or even the middle) of the weight class above them. This is because they should really be lifting in that weight class but they may be at the lower end of it, say 5lbs away, so they just diet down those 5lbs without losing strength and they compete in the weight class lower and blow away the competition where as if they stayed in the heavier class (say the 200lbs class) they would get crushed by the guys who are dieting down from being on the boarder of the 220lb class....see what I mean?

I understand your logic, but wouldn't that still result in the guys who are true 220 lbs dieting down to 200 being stronger than the 200 guys dieting down to 185? It seems like the 185 pounders at the top are stronger than all of the 200 pounders. Actually it seems like they are pound for pound the strongest period. Thats got to be a tough class to compete in.

Jay-Budaman said:
I understand your logic, but wouldn't that still result in the guys who are true 220 lbs dieting down to 200 being stronger than the 200 guys dieting down to 185? It seems like the 185 pounders at the top are stronger than all of the 200 pounders. Actually it seems like they are pound for pound the strongest period. Thats got to be a tough class to compete in.

The guys that do the dieting are usually at the bottom of the heavier class so they just drop the weight and they get into the lighter class because the guys at the top of the heavier class are usually lifting a decent amount of weight more (usually totaling weight that is comparable to the guys inthe next weight class up). there is always an overlap.

Yea, 185 is a tough class. In olympic weightlifting the 85kg (187lb) class is really competitive.

Respectable depends who you talk to. Whenever you start closing in on ELITE totals though, most anyone would 'respect' the lifts you put up.

Jay-Budaman said:
I was looking up some scores and it looks like the 181 pounders are consistently stronger than the 200 pounders. Any ideas on why that is?

Are you looking at world records or only a certain federation/state?

The smaller sampling you look at, the more oddities are going to show. I had a chance to beat one federations state record for 275 because the numbers weren't that impressive, yet the 242 was hopping a good bit more.

It was only a specific meet. But it had data from different years, and every year the 181 guys seemed to be the strongest overall. I've been looking up more scores since then and the more I've looked at the more they actually make sense, lol.

I think the 181 weight class is just super competitive. The 220 weight class seems to be really competitive in some of the federations as well. By competitive, I mean there are a lot more contestants and a lot more people trying to actually place well in the contest.

220 and under is going to frequently have shorter guys who are very strong, like Jeff McVicar who was benching tripple bodyweight. It took awhile for anyone to beat his records.

Ed Coan, another short guy who held records for eons.

Back