So what do you haters think....????? Not that I care but I get a kick out of 3% of your posts the other 97% suck and are boring.
House Bill HR 5152 Proposed to Grant Social Security Rights to Same-Sex Couples
Last week, Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) introduced new legislation that would amend the Social Security Act to grant same-sex couples the same benefits, responsibilities, and obligations as legally married couples who pay into Social Security.
According to The Advocate newsmagazine, "The Equal Access to Social Security Act, H.R. 5152, would add the term 'permanent partner' to the Social Security Act in addition to the terms 'husband' and 'wife,' which are already present in the legal code."
The Advocate continues, "Under H.R. 5152, children of same-sex couples would be able to collect survivor benefits in the event of a parent's death, just as children of federally recognized married couples may do. Recognizing that the elderly often face difficulty maintaining their standard of living after a partner dies, the bill would also entitle elderly same-sex couples to the survivor benefits offered by Social Security to heterosexual widows and widowers. "
Congressman Nadler said in an April 10, 2006 press release, "Same-sex couples are denied more than 1,000 federal benefits that other taxpayers are entitled to. The Equal Access to Social Security Act addresses this inequity. Ultimately, the only way same-sex couples will be treated equally is when they are allowed to marry – but until that can be a reality for the millions of same-sex couples in this country, we should act to make federal law fair to all....
"I’ve heard many conservatives say that other than the case of marriage, they don’t want to discriminate against the LGBT community. If they truly don’t want to discriminate, here is their chance to prove it...."
The proposed legislation has already attracted 17 co-sponsors in the House: Representatives Tammy Baldwin, Howard Berman, John Conyers, Joseph Crowley, Rahm Emanuel, Sam Farr, Barney Frank, Raúl Grijalva, Patrick Kennedy, Barbara Lee, Carolyn Maloney, Jim McDermott, George Miller, Charles Rangel, Pete Stark, Henry Waxman, and Lynn Woolsey.