• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Help me get out of the Hole!

Bakerboy

cat burglar
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Help!!

So I am trying to get a better squat but I need to work on getting out of the hole! I realize this means my hamstrings and butt are weaker than my quads, as the last part of the lift is easier for me (3/4 and up). :sob:

Any tips, ideas? I want to develop a good Deep squat not some lame 1/2 or 3/4 squat........

Box squats , bottom squats (starting from the bottom of the movement), and pausing for a certain amount of time at the bottom could all help.

You *could* also try front squats... Personally I find it much easier to go deeper on front squats than back squats just because the center of gravity is different. However, if your weakpoint is with your hams/glutes it may not be all that beneficial.

Last edited:
Seanp156 said:
Box squats , bottom squats (starting from the bottom of the movement), and pausing for a certain amount of time at the bottom could all help.

Copy cat.

My football team squats on just below parallel level boxes for everyone. It makes squatting and maxing out of the hole 10x easier. We have guys go to meets and while they might not put up as much as weight as other guys they can explode out of the hole. You have to start out kind of light, but it's a huge help IMO.

Ok box squats............ sounds good, thanks everyone....

By the way, how many of you do full squats? When I used to go to the gym, now I train at home, I used to see a lot guys just pile on the plates onto the bar, big and little guys, but when they would squat 90% of them did not go very far down... Why do you think that is??? :hehe:

If they were doing it quickly and with light weight I could understand, but I'd call that being pussies.

Bakerboy said:
Ok box squats............ sounds good, thanks everyone....

By the way, how many of you do full squats? When I used to go to the gym, now I train at home, I used to see a lot guys just pile on the plates onto the bar, big and little guys, but when they would squat 90% of them did not go very far down... Why do you think that is??? :hehe:

Why? It's too hard. Most of them want to say they squatted x amount, but they have no idea how to do it properly or with the correct ROM.

Seanp156 said:
You didn't invent them :p.

I may as well have. Obviously I've started a global trend that will continue to grow until every person in every gym does ATG bottom squats. And then I will rule the world and name it 'Squaggleboggin II' because I'm #1.

IML Gear Cream!
Squaggleboggin said:
Why? It's too hard. Most of them want to say they squatted x amount, but they have no idea how to do it properly or with the correct ROM.

Exactly. I bitch at everyone about that. I love when my clients who used to lift are put in the rack. I stick some boxes under them and they're like, "You want me to squat THAT DEEP?!" I usually just say something like "Shutup and do it you panzy," or some other such motivational phrase. I was the squat Nazi at my old gym. If you were caught doing half squats, then you heard about it.

I may as well have. Obviously I've started a global trend that will continue to grow until every person in every gym does ATG bottom squats. And then I will rule the world and name it 'Squaggleboggin II' because I'm #1.

Ooo ooo, can I be Squaggleboggin III?!

CowPimp said:
Ooo ooo, can I be Squaggleboggin III?!

Certainly. As a member of the Squaggleboggin family, you will be exempt from all taxes, thus rendering the infamous quote, "There are two things for certain in life: death and taxes," completely null and void just because I can.

Seanp156 said:
You might as well, there's already a Cowpimp2 :laugh:

He will be unable to join the Squaggleboggin family.

Some people I talk to say they squat to parallel, but when they squat their hammies only form a 90 degree angle with their calves. Would this be considered a 1/2 squat?

I squat so my thighs are visually parallel (or below parallel) with the ground, and it feels pretty damn deep to me.

Looking in the mirror right now the neutrality of my spine is compromised when truly going "ass to grass", and I consider myself a pretty flexible guy.

So IM members, what is the true definition of 3/4, 1/2, parallel, and ATG?

Last edited:
To me, 1/2 would be something like a few inches or anywhere above parallel; 3/4 would be parallel; full/ATG would be as deep as humanly possible while still maintaining good form. I always squat truly ass to grass and I can still achieve a good arch in my back and what I consider good form all-around.

People won't squat deep becuase they don't want to sacrifice the weight....I was like that but I got over it.

kcoleman said:
Some people I talk to say they squat to parallel, but when they squat their hammies only form a 90 degree angle with their calves. Would this be considered a 1/2 squat?

I squat so my thighs are visually parallel (or below parallel) with the ground, and it feels pretty damn deep to me.

Looking in the mirror right now the neutrality of my spine is compromised when truly going "ass to grass", and I consider myself a pretty flexible guy.

So IM members, what is the true definition of 3/4, 1/2, parallel, and ATG?

I would consider parallel when your femur is at a 90 degree angle with the tibia/fibula. This means lower than your hamstrings at a 90 degree angle with your lower leg, and your quadriceps a tiny bit higher.

The official judgement of PL competitions goes by the crease in your hip. That has to be in line with your knee to be deemed legal (Although they let bullshit squats slide plenty for sure).

So no one has any other suggestions other than box squats to help get out of the hole....

I thought P-funk would jump on this with something clever to say....

Hmmmm so no takers...

Should I just be patient, squat low and work on my form?

Did you miss the whole part about bottom squats? Probably more valuable than box squats for getting strength in the lower portion, although I admittedly haven't done box squats. If you really want to get techincal you could try to learn cleans. That'll definitely help with explosiveness, but most people don't have the patience to teach themselves, and most probably don't learn the correct way.

IML Gear Cream!
Romanian Deadlifts.

"power cleans" I do those, but only as a warm up. But not with serious weight

"Romanian Deadlifts" yeah maybe on my deadlift priority day I will try those...

thanks guys

Bakerboy said:
"power cleans" I do those, but only as a warm up. But not with serious weight

"Romanian Deadlifts" yeah maybe on my deadlift priority day I will try those...

thanks guys

So far, I've found no single exercise that hits the posterior chain like Romanians.

Good luck!

Plyometrics would probably help. It will allow you to make better use of the stretch shortening cycle and increase the rate of force development.

Plyometrics hmmm. Interesting idea CowPimp....

Do you think I should include Plyometrics on one or two of my days off??

My days on are quite demanding. It takes me 1hr to complete routine. I ideally want to keep my my training sessions between 45min - 1hr.

Bakerboy said:
Plyometrics hmmm. Interesting idea CowPimp....

Do you think I should include Plyometrics on one or two of my days off??

My days on are quite demanding. It takes me 1hr to complete routine. I ideally want to keep my my training sessions between 45min - 1hr.

You could. It's kind of hard to say without seeing your program in full though.

Back