Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Arroyo dominates Nationals; Reds win fourth straight

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Arroyo dominates Nationals; Reds win fourth straight

WASHINGTON -- Everything, it seems, is going right for Bronson Arroyo and the Cincinnati Reds these days. And all is amiss for the Washington Nationals.
    Arroyo threw eight innings of one-hit ball, and Cincinnati jumped out to an early lead just as they did all series in a 5-0 victory over Washington on Wednesday that completed a three-game sweep.
    Arroyo improved to 4-0 with a 2.34 ERA in five starts, allowing only Ryan Zimmerman's single to right-center with two outs in the fourth.
    The right-hander left after 119 pitches -- "I was running out of juice," he said -- and Kent Mercker and David Weathers combined for a hitless ninth.
    "I went out there today and was warming up in the 'pen, and I knew I had good stuff," Arroyo said. "When you've got good stuff, especially playing in a park like this, that's so big, you can be really aggressive and kind of go after these guys."
    He struck out eight and walked two in his latest impressive outing since a spring training trade from the Red Sox. Arroyo was headed to Boston's bullpen when he was dealt for outfielder Wily Mo Pena.
    "It's a little different vibe," Arroyo said. "Being in Boston, you're expected to win every night. Here, they're picking us to run neck-and-neck with the Pirates in last place."

Thanks to Arroyo and the majors' highest-scoring offense, the Reds are 15-7, including four consecutive victories to cap a 6-1 road trip. They scored a total of seven first-inning runs in the opening two games at Washington, and went up 4-0 by the fourth on Wednesday off Ramon Ortiz (0-3).
    David Ross got things going with an upper-deck homer in the third inning, his third homer in 25 at-bats. The Reds tacked on three the next inning, when they batted around and were helped by poor fielding by the Nationals.
    And what about those Nationals? The team that was the feel-good story for much of 2005, leading the NL East into July in its first season in Washington, dropped to 7-14 with a fourth straight loss.
    Emblematic of their recent problems, the Nationals had more errors in one inning (two in the fourth) than hits in the entire game.
    "You can't keep going like this and saying, 'Well, it's early. It's going to come around.' We need to get results," manager Frank Robinson said, "and we need to get them starting tomorrow."
    That won't necessarily be easy, given that the Nationals play Thursday at St. Louis, and their starter will be Mike O'Connor, a left-hander making his major league debut. On three days' rest, to boot.
    There's more: John Patterson, Washington's top starter so far, is being skipped in the rotation in St. Louis because of a strained right forearm, and he said Wednesday he's not sure when he'll be able to pitch next.
    And then, of course, there's still the pending question of who will buy the Nationals. A local TV station report about which of eight bidders will get the team -- a report categorically denied by Major League Baseball -- made the rounds in the clubhouse.
    Washington fell to 1-7 at home this season, and once again played before a sparse crowd at 46,382-capacity RFK Stadium. The announced attendance was 19,380, meaning each of the past four games drew thinner crowds than the smallest of 2005.
    "We need to start performing the way this team is capable of and what we expect -- and that's pitching, defense and hitting," Robinson said. "Until we do that, we're going to get beat."
    On Wednesday, Arroyo did have the benefit of not having to face two of Washington's best hitters, Jose Vidro and Jose Guillen, who didn't start. Still, Arroyo has established himself as the ace of a staff that doesn't have another member of the rotation with an ERA under 4.50.
    "It should take a lot of pressure off the other guys," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "The other thing is, just watching him pitch, how he throws strikes, how he commands the baseball, I think that has got to wear off on guys."
    Not that they need him but I would have kept him.

Rep Points

Wily Mo hit a HR tonight

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella9783
    Wily Mo hit a HR tonight
    and hopefully he'll hit a bunch more.

Holy cow is he a TRAIN WRECK in right field!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    Not that they need him but I would have kept him.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

arroyo is the man.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon
    and hopefully he'll hit a bunch more.

Holy cow is he a TRAIN WRECK in right field!
    What do you mean?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    What do you mean?
    That it's always a project when a fly ball is hit to him...sorta like Manny is or used to be...(except Wily doesn't make up for it at the plate)

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Ohhh....I see.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfella9783
    That it's always a project when a fly ball is hit to him...sorta like Manny is or used to be...(except Wily doesn't make up for it at the plate)
    Not just fly balls....grounders, too. But it's all good.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

He sounds like a DH.

the next T.O.

Rep Points

Pena is the man. Red Sox are untouchable. I wish we had kept Arroyo.
    Objective: Gain 20-30 pounds in five months.

Weekly Weights & Heights:
    4/25/06 -- start -- 5'9, 156
    5/04/06 -- fever -- 148 (no food, no supps)
    5/14/06 -- one week -- 159 (10 pounds...damn)

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cacjr
    Pena is the man. Red Sox are untouchable. I wish we had kept Arroyo.
    They're gettin touched 5-0 right now with Beckett throwin. Our bats have been quiet past few days we better start makin some noise for our starters.

the next T.O.

Rep Points

If you are true Red Sox fan, you would know that Boston is probably the most streaky team in the MLB besides the Marlins.
    Objective: Gain 20-30 pounds in five months.

Weekly Weights & Heights:
    4/25/06 -- start -- 5'9, 156
    5/04/06 -- fever -- 148 (no food, no supps)
    5/14/06 -- one week -- 159 (10 pounds...damn)

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

As I stated when the trade was made, Arroyo would find success in the National League facing new hitters who hadn't seen him. He had been figured out in the American League, and while he may enjoy success with the Reds this year, next year he'll be in the same position as he was last year with the Red Sox.
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by soxmuscle
    As I stated when the trade was made, Arroyo would find success in the National League facing new hitters who hadn't seen him. He had been figured out in the American League, and while he may enjoy success with the Reds this year, next year he'll be in the same position as he was last year with the Red Sox.
    I don't know about that, the N.L. is a weaker league without the dh it makes it easier for him.

He wasn't that bad with Boston.

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but he's easily figured out. He has really only one good pitch, and his fastball/change combination is mediocre at best.

It was evident last year, especially against AL East opponents who saw him multiple times, that you could sit on his curveball and rake it.

I'm trying to find somebody who compares to him in this respect, hmm..
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by soxmuscle

I'm trying to find somebody who compares to him in this respect, hmm..
    There have been a few that I also can't remember.