NapsGear.net

Advice, Abs, Biceps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Rep Points

Advice, Abs, Biceps

Hey guys

Tis the newbie here; Now I've read your 3step program tips.
    I'm a bit relecutant on the once a week only, as I up till reading it used to do 9 sets of 10 on each arm, a night. (curling).

Anyway, I am now doing 7 sets of 10 on each arm; and from now on will only be doing that once a week... My questions are, how long should it take to see results? 3-4 weeks? I'm obviously not expecting HUGE muscle growth, but a man can dream right?

Also; you may want to know, Im not wanting to make my body a work of art, or even get a 6 pack, all I want to do is increase my bicep size, and get rid of the tiny tummy I have developed.

Now I realise I am going to have to be exceptionally strict with my food, eat the same amount, but each healthy things. As I said, I don't wish to gain weight, I eat alot as it is.

So my goals are

• Bigger Biceps
    • Flatter Stomach

Any tips,other than the 3 step program? Personal experiences that you have learnt, that truly do increase bicep size? I'm not a lazy person, So I'm determind to do this, not only for the ladies, but for myself.

And the flatter stomach; Sit-ups? Anygood? If so, how many a night/week.

Etc... Thanks for the help guys,

Appreciated!

- MD

Rep Points

Situps won't give you a flat stomach. Diet will.

Just doing curls every week will do nothing for your physique, and your biceps probably won't even grow that much. Train your whole body. Read the training and diet stickies in their respective forums.

Besides even if you wanted to just train one muscle "for the ladies", why pick biceps? haha

Rep Points

Well what ever u do dont do high rep crunches for ur abs (unless u wanna exhaust ur abs and a get a sore neck and back). Do ur ab exercises in low reps (1-5) and u'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone: ull get a nice six pack faster (burn off the fat first) and ull get strong abs (strong abs=strong body).

Rep Points

do 4 sets of underhand pull ups(4-12 reps)- they are great for the biceps! and make sure that you are training hard- push yourself-do them weighted if you get 12 reps easily, and then do 3 sets of barbell curls(6-12 reps), and do about 4 sets of squats(4-6 reps) in the beginning of the workout(not only will they help burn fat, they will make your legs stronger/bigger and it will make your body realease hormones that will promote growth in the rest of your body(biceps), i know you want big arms so you also will have to work the triceps(they make up about 2/3 of your arm size!) so after the squats, do some weigted dips(4 sets of 4-12 reps) do this workout twice a week and fix up our diet, diet is key to getting a flatter stomach and making u gain muscle-u wont even have to do ab work! check out the diet forums, since your a beginner it shouldnt take long to grow your arms
    here is the workout- do it twice a week try doin it on monday and thursday
    Squats 4 sets- 4-6 reps
    Weighted Dips 4 sets - 4-12 reps
    underhand pullups or cable pulldowns 4 sets- 4-12
    Barbell Curls 3 sets- 6-12 reps
    (optional) 3 sets of weighted situps- 4-6 reps
    train hard and fix up a diet and youll get the results u want in no time

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mike456
    do 4 sets of underhand pull ups(4-12 reps)- they are great for the biceps! and make sure that you are training hard- push yourself-do them weighted if you get 12 reps easily, and then do 3 sets of barbell curls(6-12 reps), and do about 4 sets of squats(4-6 reps) in the beginning of the workout(not only will they help burn fat, they will make your legs stronger/bigger and it will make your body realease hormones that will promote growth in the rest of your body(biceps), i know you want big arms so you also will have to work the triceps(they make up about 2/3 of your arm size!) so after the squats, do some weigted dips(4 sets of 4-12 reps) do this workout twice a week and fix up our diet, diet is key to getting a flatter stomach and making u gain muscle-u wont even have to do ab work! check out the diet forums, since your a beginner it shouldnt take long to grow your arms
    here is the workout- do it twice a week try doin it on monday and thursday
    Squats 4 sets- 4-6 reps
    Weighted Dips 4 sets - 4-12 reps
    underhand pullups or cable pulldowns 4 sets- 4-12
    Barbell Curls 3 sets- 6-12 reps
    (optional) 3 sets of weighted situps- 4-6 reps
    train hard and fix up a diet and youll get the results u want in no time
    First of all pullups arent nearly as good in working ur biceps as curling. Second, u should be doing exercises in LOW REPS! High reps wont do shit for u. Ull build strength and muscle faster. But ur right on one thing, situps wont get u anything.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GoLdeN M 07
    Well what ever u do dont do high rep crunches for ur abs (unless u wanna exhaust ur abs and a get a sore neck and back). Do ur ab exercises in low reps (1-5) and u'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone: ull get a nice six pack faster (burn off the fat first) and ull get strong abs (strong abs=strong body).

More bad advice Golden
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Rep Points

stop givin advice Golden! underhand pullups are good for biceps, i dunno who told you low reps(1-5) is good for size!

Rep Points

Which do you want first? Bigger biceps or a flatter stomach? Bigger biceps require weight gain. You want bigger biceps? Try gaining 15 - 20 pounds and blasting them once a week along with everything else. If you want your muscles to grow you got to eat.

Don't beleive the hype some clowns talk about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Unless you're juicing or are totally out of shape, it's not going to happen. You still get people claiming how they gained muscle and lost fat at the same time. Sure over the course of a month or so someone could gain a few pounds of muscle and lose a couple pounds of fat but they were not doing both at the same time. They were simply eating more some days and less others and would have had better results had they just concentrated on one or the other.

Build the muscle, then burn the fat and you'll get much better results.

Rep Points

it is not hard to build muscle and lose fat if you are a beginner, if hes on a good fat loss diet- he'll prolly be getting better nutrition for muscle gain than any other beginners do(even if they are not cutting), i didnt even look at my diet when i first started- wasnt getting enough protein or anything and i still got good gains

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mike456
    it is not hard to build muscle and lose fat if you are a beginner, if hes on a good fat loss diet- he'll prolly be getting better nutrition for muscle gain than any other beginners do(even if they are not cutting), i didnt even look at my diet when i first started- wasnt getting enough protein or anything and i still got good gains
    Yeah it's possible in certain situations, but why go about it half assed? Depending on what his bodyfat % is, he should either bulk up, or lose some fat and then bulk up. The higher bodyfat % you have, the more fat you can lose without losing muscle or maybe possibly gaining a little bit of muscle especially if you're a beginner. He's not going to add inches to his arms while losing bodyfat though.

It all depends on how into this shit he really is and whether he wants an extra eighth of an inch on his arms or something noticeable.
    Last edited by Favre; 05-05-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules

More bad advice Golden
    holy shit r u serious?!.....
    the best way to work the abs is with low reps. high reps wont do shit for u unless u wanna a horrible workout and a sore neck and back. if u dont believe me ur a dumbass.

Alright and if its such bad advice ,explain how its such crap. im serious i wanna know. Whats the best way to work ur abs?

Rep Points

the best way to work the abs is with low reps. high reps wont do shit for u unless u wanna a horrible workout and a sore neck and back. if u dont believe me ur a dumbass.

Alright and if its such bad advice ,explain how its such crap. im serious i wanna know. Whats the best way to work ur abs?
    You're advising sets of 1-5 reps for abs? What would one do for one rep? A crunch with 200 Ibs. on their chest?

I'm all in favor of using resistance instead of just bodyweight when working abs but when you think about the movement you're doing it's not a move where you can pile on a ton of weight and do it safely.

Rep Points

You are 15 and sound like you are 11. Read more and post less son.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

to do 1-5 reps for abs is impossible ............. also even if it's possible abs are for indurance not size they won't ever grow like ur chest does.......u just wanted to say that doing thousands of reps as some ppl do won't do any good u must try to go in the range 20-25 reps and lose ur bf% by following a good diet for a while.... i forgot....9#

Rep Points

Well I would rather focus on a flatter stomach to be honest, thanks for all the advice by the way .

So the way to a flatter stomach and weight loss is diet, exercise and time?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDiiorio
    Well I would rather focus on a flatter stomach to be honest, thanks for all the advice by the way .

that's it but u need to rearrange it it's diet then time then exercise

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i mean ab exercise but u need as a 1st priority to do cardio and weight training to lose ur fat and transform ur body

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDiiorio

I don't get it, so you want to be like, emaciated or something? Hit the weights it's not gonna make you look like Arnold in a week!

Rep Points

No I dont want to be skinny,
    I just want to tone my stomach and get rid of the bit of fat surrounding it!

Rep Points

Well, sadly we can't target areas we want to "tone" or "thin up". You have to do cardio and fat will naturally start to "melt off". It may start at your legs, or your butt, or your chest, and maybe your stomach. Vica versa your stomach maybe the last to go. So, have a good diet ( read the stickies in diet & nutrition ), and a good training regiment ( read the stickies in training ). Goodluck.

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by JordanMang
    You have to do cardio and fat will naturally start to "melt off".
    disagree. you can drop bf w/o doing an ounce of cardio if your diet is on point. diet first. cardio second.
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    x2
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

Lexen Xtreme

Rep Points

If you have the goals of getting bigger biceps, and a flatter stomach, and realize that you're going to be strict with your diet, why not go the extra step of training weights 3-4 times a week, and train your whole body?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The13ig13adWolf
    disagree. you can drop bf w/o doing an ounce of cardio if your diet is on point. diet first. cardio second.

that's right but why do u think bodybuilders do lots of cardio.....1-for best results and gains.
    2-if u don't do cardio ur maintanance is very low and so u need to eat very low to make a calorie deficit.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The13ig13adWolf

I can lose a lot of weight by not eating for 5 days at a time too, what's your point? To lose the weight he wants to lose he needs cardio ( and yes a good diet as I mentioned I do believe? ). Thank you for stating the obvious though.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp156
    If you have the goals of getting bigger biceps, and a flatter stomach, and realize that you're going to be strict with your diet, why not go the extra step of training weights 3-4 times a week, and train your whole body?

there's a myth that say that doing weight training makes u big and can't lose weight....

Rep Points

I do fucking read. Trust me i know more about working the abs than u do. Im not saying to do exercises in 1 fucking rep. Im saying to do them in low reps (max 5). U dont need to work ur biceps in low reps just ur abs.

Rep Points

Actually, your abs are what are known as "slow twitch" muscles. Basically this means that when training abs you need to use higher reps ( not 25+ persay ), but not below 10-15 I'd say. Here is a link for your reference.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/e.../aa080901a.htm

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by assassin
    that's right but why do u think bodybuilders do lots of cardio.....1-for best results and gains.
    2-if u don't do cardio ur maintanance is very low and so u need to eat very low to make a calorie deficit.
    not all BBers do lots of cardio for comp prep.