NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Pseudo Specificity

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Pseudo Specificity

I've mentioned in another thread, I wanted to try a new workout. I've chosen to do a pseudo-specificity training. I say "pseudo" because I don't do any physical activity that I need to model my chosen exercises after. I simply chose some goals and tailored a routine around them.

My goals, in no particular order:

Increase vertical on my jump
    Increase the strength of the rotator cuff muscles
    Thicker spinal erectors
    Diamond calves
    Increased forearm strength

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this idea.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

thicker spinal erectors?

do you have a program to try adn achieve these goals?

it is difficult to focus on many things. You are much better off focusing on one specific thing before moving onto another.

something like iincreasing your vertical jump, you would need to know what your limiting factor is....like, do you need more strength, do you need more flexability, what about stability, do you need more speed/power.....

Daimond calves may be a function of genetics.

working the rotators and building them up is important. you can check my journal for different ideas of posture/scapula stabalizer work.

increasing forearm strength is another thing like the rotators, that you can really train any time, no matter what training cycle you are in.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    thicker spinal erectors?
    Just looking to prioritize the posterior chain, really.

do you have a program to try adn achieve these goals?
    I'm still piecing it together. I've been working on it for three days and figure I'll have something in another few days.

it is difficult to focus on many things. You are much better off focusing on one specific thing before moving onto another.
    So, I couldn't increase my vertical while focusing on strengthening my rotator?

something like iincreasing your vertical jump, you would need to know what your limiting factor is....like, do you need more strength, do you need more flexability, what about stability, do you need more speed/power.....
    Power, I lack power.

Daimond calves may be a function of genetics.
    Yes, but I need to know if my genetics allow for them.

working the rotators and building them up is important. you can check my journal for different ideas of posture/scapula stabalizer work.
    Thanks, I will. I don't want to open myself to injury or limit my delts because of them.

increasing forearm strength is another thing like the rotators, that you can really train any time, no matter what training cycle you are in.
    Yeah, I just threw them in because I liked the goal.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS
    Just looking to prioritize the posterior chain, really.

I'm still piecing it together. I've been working on it for three days and figure I'll have something in another few days.

So, I couldn't increase my vertical while focusing on strengthening my rotator?

Power, I lack power.

Yes, but I need to know if my genetics allow for them.

Thanks, I will. I don't want to open myself to injury or limit my delts because of them.

Yeah, I just threw them in because I liked the goal.

you can train your rotators while working on your vertical....ofcourse.

How do you know that it is power which you lack? Are you squatting 1.5-2x's your BW?

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

you can train your rotators while working on your vertical....ofcourse.

How do you know that it is power which you lack? Are you squatting 1.5-2x's your BW?
    No quite. I was doing about 260 @ 4x10. I weight 225 or so. I just figured it was a power issue because I've never trained for power, only strength.

You're The Man, so what's are your thoughts?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

No quite. I was doing about 260 @ 4x10. I weight 225 or so. I just figured it was a power issue because I've never trained for power, only strength.

You're The Man, so what's are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that you need a lot more leg strength......What you could do is something like the conjugate method and work on a concentrated amount of strength work with a small amount of power....after that block of training (maybe 2-2.5months) drop into a full on power routine under the back drop of all the strenght that is going to be coming out do to the period of delayed transformation...maintain strength during this period with 80-85% loads.

So:

week1-3- heavy strength work/little power work/accumulate lots of fatigue
    week4- lower volume, maintain intensity
    week5-7- keep volume low and really really ramp up the intensity
    week8- unload, drop volume and intensity
    week9-11- beging introducint more plyometrics/strength at maintenance
    week12- lower volume
    week13-14- increase volume again/strength at maintenance
    week15- lower volume and maintain intensity
    week16- test new vertical jump PR

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks P-funk, I'll do it.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks P-funk, I'll do it.

no problem. you can make is shorter too, like less weeks. But, you really want to take the time and let this stuff build up.

Also, you are going to have periods where you are going to be testing your vert through out the program so it isn't like you are going to go 16 weeks without testing it.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

no problem. you can make is shorter too, like less weeks. But, you really want to take the time and let this stuff build up.

Also, you are going to have periods where you are going to be testing your vert through out the program so it isn't like you are going to go 16 weeks without testing it.
    I've got no problem with a 16 week routine. I'm in this for the long haul.

I'll also be doing quite a bit of running. Not HIIT or anything like that, just simple running. There's nothing that I've read so far that indicates that cardio has any real negative affect on a strength oriented leg routine. Plus, there are so benefits to be had from running that you just can't get from bodybuilding. Is this sound reasoning?

I figured I'd test every four weeks.

Rep Points

Once you get to a squat about 1.75x your BW, you can add some low level plyometrics in to work on the SSC. Keep volume very low, and stick with stuff similar to your vertical at first. Just by learning jump technique you could probably add 2-3 inches on your vertical. Also, work on Depth drops from various heights, focusing on eccentrically stopping the downward force as quickly as possible. When you are close to 2x your bodyweight, depth jumps will improve your speed between eccentric/concentric phases enabling more power. Learning the oly lifts can't hurt either, there is a strong correlation with their use and improved vertical height.

Once you are looking for something more functional than your vertical (Few people are given as optimal conditions as standing directly under a vertec or Bball rim), work on higher level plyos.

If I were to rate a progression, this is how I would do it, ie. how you should periodize.

Limit Strength>Speed Strength>Power

Now, I do not agree with this at all, but apparently it takes a large length of time for your limit strength to drop siginificantly with no training. So, rather than train just one in each period, what you will do is make it a focus. So you will train all 3 to some degree in each cycle, but the focus will be on only 1. So, you will have low volume, low intensity plyos in the first cycle as well as some speed strength work, but those volumes will not ramp up until their particular phases. Don't just change on the fly either, gradually work the volume of power/speed strength up, and slowly drop volume of limit strength, and I would leave intensity very close, probably even undulate around 80% for the strength work. HIT is good for maintaining strength so you may even be very close to that neqar the end for limit strength work. Intensity of the plyos will increase, but you will reach some point where too much, too hard will be too much, just make sure that when you see a significant drop in performance, the plyos end for that day.

I know this is all a bit down the road, but some like to know exactly where they are going and you strike me as that type.

Oh, BTW, I would certainly add sprinting rather than slow ass runs since it is more explosive/plyometric in nature.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I would add the low2 level plyos from the get go. Everyone can benefit from some low level reactive training. Plus, it will teach you how to jump and help you learn proper technique. so it may be like

week1-3- technique jump...single response hops
    week4- lower volume
    week5-7- low level box jumping, single leg hops
    week8- unload
    week9-11- high level box jumps (this is your concentrated block of power training)....explosive movements.
    week12- lower volume
    week13-14- begin depth jumps
    week15- lower volume
    week16- test.

the low level stuff in weeks 1-8 will all be done against the back drop of high intensity strength work...lots of squatting. the bill starr 5x5 routine or a version of it would be great for this.

week 9-15 are going to be higer level plyos and your concentrated block of power against the back drop of the strength that you aquired in the first 8 weeks. This is where the skill transfer comes into play.

This is just an idea though. I don't know that you will be ready to do al those high intense plyos or even be ready for depth jumping. this is just a brainstorm as I don't know where you are at currenty.

but, just working on your strength and jump technique will give you great results anyway since it is something totally new.