• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Can you drink protein shake during workout?

the_general64 said:

Ok, I won't make any jokes. But, seriously, are you joking?

Sure. Some People Sip their Post workout shake throughout their workout , others drink it half way through , or sip it for the last half of their workout etc.
Most though Save it till after their workouts ..
It's really up too you. Experiment and see what works best with you and your goals.

i didn't realize my question was such a newbie question.......as to invoke possible jokes. i have always heard that you shouldn't consume anything when working out because it diverts blood from your muscles to your digestive system or something to that effect.

At my usual gym one TIME out of the 4 - 5 times a week i go there, i see this big humunogous guy, probably late 30's or early 40's. He has a ziploc bag and some food in it, and hes eating it between sets. I ask him what it is, he says "chicken and rice". I mean..i dont know if thats good? but he loooked in great shape!

I read an article about a guy who tried that and nearly vomited in the middle of the workout

the_general64 said:
i didn't realize my question was such a newbie question.......as to invoke possible jokes. i have always heard that you shouldn't consume anything when working out because it diverts blood from your muscles to your digestive system or something to that effect.

u r right just do the math...u'll be burning much calories during the workout if u drink the protein shake while u r working out u'll have a good chance to burn it as an energy source when ur carb levels are low ... also ur stomach will be busy digesting it because protein is not easily digested so u may feel dizy....
the only food that is digested easily is simple carbs and sugars....(fruits(bananas) sweets(honey)...u could eat those during ur workout if it's long........those have high glycemic index so they'll raise blood sugar levels imediatly and may help u to complete ur workout if taken in small amounts...but high glycemic index food is not good preworkout...only during ur workout also u could eat them post workout with protein ..because they cause an insulin spike wich will help carying amino acids to the muscles........

:barf: ever tried doing squats with something in your stomach, such as a protein shake? I can't find a reason you should drink one during your workout, you need to worry about a good pre and post workout meal to maximize your results.

IML Gear Cream!
Of course you CAN.....just up to you if you want to lol...I usually drink mine about 15 minutes after when I get home...dont feel like spending 3.50 on the small ones they got there with 35 grams so I make my own.

I'd probably feel sick if I did.

At the gym where I used to train, there was a why would was really tall , lean, had very long and thin muscle, and he told me if I didnt drink protein durin my workout I would be 'flogging a dead horse'

leg_press said:
At the gym where I used to train, there was a why would was really tall , lean, had very long and thin muscle, and he told me if I didnt drink protein durin my workout I would be 'flogging a dead horse'

So he meant that you would be wasting your time if you didn't? If that is what he meant, he was wrong. I never drink shakes during my workout and I have no trouble putting on muscle.

You can have a pre-workout feed and a post workout shake (refeed) - thats practical nutrient timing. You do NOT need to consume protein during a workout. I wouldn't. Its going to interfere with hydration needs during exertion, and that may cause other problems. As pointed out, nausea during high intensity workouts of large muscle groups, usually in the lower body is common.

I drink water and/or amino acids during my workout. I use the brand ICE.

P-funk said:
I drink water and/or amino acids during my workout. I use the brand ICE.
Same here....Ice! I can't drink regular water anymore while I'm working out.

ppl who r so skinny and pure ectos sometimes be so afraid of using weight so they wake up late to eat and if they had a long workout they eat not to lose any muscles athletes drink shakes with lots of calories during their training not to lose weight but that won't have a big effect with u i think u better finish ur workout as fast as u can ...a maximum stay 50 minutes other wise i sometimes finish in 20-30- minutes and eat after it..eating during weight training won't help u because weight training session is not long .....athletes train for several hours that why they do this....if u feel lack of sugars in ur blood during training..here's what u should do........

1-eat before ur workout with 1 - 2 hours no more no less..........

2-don't eat high glycimic index foods just before ur workout..

3-drink plenty of water and make sure u don't have any problems with ur stomach before going in the gym....

4-ur pre work out much have carbs + proteins (take ur shake in it and add some carbs..i add a banana with the whey shake and sometimes a tbs of honey) yogurt is good also for pre workout

5-don't rest a lot between sets ..( if u do more than 5 reps u don't need to rest more than 2 minutes maximum, try to rest from 30 sec - 2 minutes maximum).

6-u may be doing many sets and exercises so sugar levels decreases in ur blood...

7-try drinking some water between ur exercises ......

8- fill ur lunges with air and breath from ur nose and exhale from ur mouth during rest peiods to help the blood to flow to ur muscles......

this will help u more than eating during ur workout ...

Ok yea I know old thread but Id rather search then start a new one.

Im pretty in to working out and im starting to develop some strength but I CANT put on weight. Im skinny, fast metabolism. I wanted to know if there would be any mass building or muscles building benefits at all to drinking a fast acting protein during my workout. I drink a fair amount of water already during my workouts and dont see any problem adding some whey into it during my exercises. But I dont want to waste my time if it doesnt help. What do you guys think?

IML Gear Cream!
just hit up water.... protein or creatine before i workout upsets my stomach... hit the water make your stomach happy...

Ok yea I know old thread but Id rather search then start a new one.

Im pretty in to working out and im starting to develop some strength but I CANT put on weight. Im skinny, fast metabolism. I wanted to know if there would be any mass building or muscles building benefits at all to drinking a fast acting protein during my workout. I drink a fair amount of water already during my workouts and dont see any problem adding some whey into it during my exercises. But I dont want to waste my time if it doesnt help. What do you guys think?

There are plenty of diets and methodologies to help ectomorphs gain weight.

Google is your friend.

There are plenty of diets and methodologies to help ectomorphs gain weight.

Google is your friend.
i had the same p-roblem eat peanut butter and drink gallon a day of good ole whole milk and lift like you mean it !!!!!

Yea ok a tweaking of the diet will forsure help, but I'm wondering if there are any actual benefits to drinking a fast acting protein while working out. The Immediate supply of protein could help rebuild muscle better/faster? ??

Protein shake during training

Hi, the_general 64

Your question isn't a newbie one.

The supplement pack generally indicates when to use your protein shake. Manufacturers recommend before or after your training.

I would stick with before or after your workout. During your workout, go for water or an isotonic drink. There are many brands out there and they are generally reliable.

The isotonic drink is really what you need. While training, your body is losing all of the electrolytes it needs to carry out its job. Uou need to replace these electrolytes slowly but surely.

Sip your drink during your workout. I train for 50 minutes max and finish a 500ml drink. My protein shake (whey protein for me) comes 30 minutes after my workout.

Happy training

PS: Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Just for the record i usually do Peri workout shakes. I make a 60 + gram shake....start sipping it before I go. I sip a third before...a third during, then finish with a third. This will vary depending on needs and whether I'm cutting or bulking.

For the ectomorph...how many calories are you eating daily and what are you eating daily? If you don't know then that's where you start and that is at least 50% of the issue.

I wouldnt say im a full fledged ectomorph but definitely mixed. However thats not really relevant to this.

Merkaba did you find that with a constant source of protein during your workout that you were building size/mass easier or faster?? 60G you say, now did you split up the stages of drinking it because it was so huge or so you could stagger the amount of protein entering the body? Ive heard tales that your digestive system can only absorb so much protein an hour and anymore is a waste and doesnt get used. (unless some how, the absorption rate changes during exercise)

I should probably just sneak more calories into my diet but if there are positive reactions to drinking during then I will. Im a broke college student and figure if I wanted to eat the way I wanted It would be super expensive so I compromise by taking more high protein high calorie shakes.

A whey protein should be used before workouts, 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then a whey casein mix within 30 minutes after the workout. You don't build muscle during workout, but you have to get the amino acids into the muscle after you have torn it down, hence the high glycemic for an insulin push after the workout. Any excess protein will be broken down and used as weight gain. Watch the total protein and drink plenty of water to help keep kidney and liver flushed.

Alright, I personally thought this was a great idea once...drank it..felt great...for five minutes. Instant stomach ache, dropped my weight, ran for the trash can and ended up smashing the wall behind with projectile. Enough said.

DONT DRINK A PROTEIN SHAKE WHILE LIFTING!!!

Back