• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Weird Computer Problem

musclepump

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm running an Athlon 3200+, 768mb of RAM, have over 200gb of free storage space on my harddrives. The problem is that, at some point over the last few months, all the audio CDs I burn skip in random places. The files are fine and play perfect on the computer, but without fail every disc I burn has some skipping to it. And, everytime I burn a DVD (from my own files--like I take it off my camera and make a video disc with nero), it skips at some point (and usually won't play at all past the first skip). Any ideas why this could be happening? I think it started shortly after I reformatted last time, oddly enough.

Copy the file from disc back to your comp and see how it plays then post the results.

Rename the file as you copy it in some simple way like adding a 1 after the file name ... for example "yourfile" becomes "yourfile1".

percussive maintenance always works for me.

Many problems could be occuring here. Your drive would be the most likely culprit. You could try updating the firmware on it. But it's probably the drive itself. Could be the discs you're using also. Try a different brand. Verbatim is usually reliable. Drives are so cheap now, just buy a new dvd/rw drive.

Try different software...blah blah. It's a guessing game. Don't worry any onslaught of "experts" will post their opinions which will be 100% correct. After they hit the "Submit Reply" button, they will bust a nut.

BigDyl said:
Many problems could be occuring here. Your drive would be the most likely culprit. You could try updating the firmware on it. But it's probably the drive itself. Could be the discs you're using also. Try a different brand. Verbatim is usually reliable. Drives are so cheap now, just buy a new dvd/rw drive.

Try different software...blah blah. It's a guessing game. Don't worry any onslaught of "experts" will post their opinions which will be 100% correct. After they hit the "Submit Reply" button, they will bust a nut.
:rolleyes:

Since we now know the file on the disc has issues while being recorded from a clean playing original file you have narrowed it down to two issues. 1st check out new media. No fix? Try different media players besides the one you are now using. Try media player classic ... get that from edskies in the K-Lite codec pak. No luck? Rejoice ... now you get to buy that killer dual layer DVD burner you been wanting but couldn't justify spending the mooooola on. New generic dual layer units go for about $100 while the Sonys get $200 ... I'd look at this as a killer reason to upgrade and grin all the way home. But imma nerd ... wudoIknow?

I've tried three brands of media, all to no avail.

The problem isn't the drives either, I don't think, because it happens on both my DVD+RW drive as well as my CD+RW drive. They can't both have gone bad at the exact same time.

IML Gear Cream!
musclepump said:
I've tried three brands of media, all to no avail.

The problem isn't the drives either, I don't think, because it happens on both my DVD+RW drive as well as my CD+RW drive. They can't both have gone bad at the exact same time.

Did you check out other media players?

When you say play you mean on your TV's DVD player and a CD player other than the one in your comp right?

Check this out. I downloaded and used various versions of Nero. Yeah, I'm a pirate...arrrrrr.

Anyway, about a month ago, all of my burned CDs start getting that popping sound. I have four hard drives and two CD-ROMS. I burned to both CD burners from all of my hard drives (to rule out a hardware problems). I also run a memory test (the damn thing took a day, I have 1.5 gigs), with nothing out of the ordinary reported.

So, about a week I ago I decided to re-install my Windows XP. After I installed it, I went to CompUSA and purchased a copy of Nero. Now, I haven't changed a single thing, not a hard drive, not a memory stick, nothing. All I did was re-install Windows XP and use a legit copy of Nero and the problem went away.

Give it a shot, it just might work.

Argh... re-installing XP would be a total and utter pain in the junk.

Maybe I'll just get rid of Nero (yeah, I didn't pay for it either.. hehe) and see what happens?

One thing I thought may be connected with this though is that I tried to unload a video tape and it got a little skip point in it, and it won't even play when I try to watch it on the computer.

DOMS said:
Check this out. I downloaded and used various versions of Nero. Yeah, I'm a pirate...arrrrrr.

Anyway, about a month ago, all of my burned CDs start getting that popping sound. I have four hard drives and two CD-ROMS. I burned to both CD burners from all of my hard drives (to rule out a hardware problems). I also run a memory test (the damn thing took a day, I have 1.5 gigs), with nothing out of the ordinary reported.

So, about a week I ago I decided to re-install my Windows XP. After I installed it, I went to CompUSA and purchased a copy of Nero. Now, I haven't changed a single thing, not a hard drive, not a memory stick, nothing. All I did was re-install Windows XP and use a legit copy of Nero and the problem went away.

Give it a shot, it just might work.

You went to compUSA? :banned:

It's convenient. I don't go there for most stuff, only odds and ends. Like purchasing software (I just learned that you can do that).

I know what is wrong!!!Believe me on this !!!IT IS YOUR WRITE SPEED!!!!SET IT TO 1X!!!!

IF his drive supports an above 1x write speed, then thats not the problem.

BigDyl said:
IF his drive supports an above 1x write speed, then thats not the problem.
Yes it is because mine supports 16x and it messed up at a high speed and i did it on 1x and worked perfect.Make sure the disc write speed is suported by the speed you Burn 2.

IML Gear Cream!
I didnt read every response, and not all of the problem, but it sounds like perhaps a software problem?

try another version of Nero perhaps

Do you generally use your computer while it burns CDs?

If so, then the problem might be related to the usage of PIO communication as opposed to DMA communication between the memory and the burning device. PIO, which stands for processor input/output, requires that the CPU be utilized in this data path. DMA, which stands for direct memory access, remove the CPU from this data path. That way the system is less dependant on having available resources for successful communication.

I witnessed a similar problem in a friend's computer that was remedied when DMA type communication was enabled. This can be done via the CMOS settings right as the computer is booting up.

Have you tried other CD burning software?

Have you tried another drive using the same software?

kefes solution generally is applicable to skipping discs. Though 1x isnt usually necessary 8-16 for a 52x works.

Bra ... just do this and get it over with. $45 is not too much to spend I hope ... and all other issues will be repaired when you install the drivers. Dual layer is the shit ...

I appreciate the link; but with what we've derived from the info here, it isn't my drives. It does it on both drives and it started at the same time. Can't imagine both going tits up at once.

Do you have the drivers for both the drives in question? I'd reinstall them on my comp ... that never hurts anything and has fixed an audio issue I had with XP Media dropping sound. I had to download the drivers from HP because I had nothing on disc. Some glitch could have affected the firmware on both drives at the same time.

musclepump said:
I appreciate the link; but with what we've derived from the info here, it isn't my drives. It does it on both drives and it started at the same time. Can't imagine both going tits up at once.

Like I said, I had the exact same symptoms as you. Go back and re-read my post. :shrug:

Back