NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

ITB Bands

Thread: ITB Bands

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

ITB Bands

I noticed during my workout today that my ITB bands (at least I think that's what they're called - the bands on the outer sides of the legs) seemed very tight. I've only experienced one problem with these before - I once snapped them according to a sports medicine doctor I saw. I was doing sit ups, actually, and felt a lot of pain in that area and couldn't stand up for a while. Today I felt stiffness in the same area during squats and it continued to feel tight through my squat workout and when I moved my leg in certain directions (only my right leg feels tight). It seems to occur when I rotate my leg at the knee laterally (as if kicking to the side while keeping my thigh in place).

What stretches or dynamic flexibility work can be done to prevent this from happening in the future? I'd like to include whatever I can on a regular basis to prevent anything from happening again, especially during a heavy movement. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Probably your tensor fascia latae or sartorius giving you problems. Both are hip flexors and share an origin on your pelvis near the crease on the side of your hip. The sartorius runs down the inside of your thigh and the TFL runs down the IT band several inches. Of course there are a lot of potential problems here, and pain tends to radiate, but just thought I would throw those possibilities out there.

You may consider some soft tissue work (Self myofascial release/foam rolling). My IT band gets knotted to all Hell. It's really insane. Some static stretching could also be of use. Doesn't sound much like a mobility problem to me. Lack of psoas activation/strength could also be a problem if you experienced hip flexor strains.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

What exercise would help in psoas activation or strength, exactly? I've never had a problem quite like this before, and this area doesn't sound familiar to me at all.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    What exercise would help in psoas activation or strength, exactly? I've never had a problem quite like this before, and this area doesn't sound familiar to me at all.
    Stand on one leg and pull your knee to your chest. Take your hands away and try to keep your leg raised as high as possible. The psoas is most active beyond 90 degrees of hip flexion, so try to keep your upper thigh above parallel with the floor. Do a few 5 second holds on each leg.

1RM Videos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Stand on one leg and pull your knee to your chest. Take your hands away and try to keep your leg raised as high as possible. The psoas is most active beyond 90 degrees of hip flexion, so try to keep your upper thigh above parallel with the floor. Do a few 5 second holds on each leg.
    This makes sense - I've been including this type of walking in my dynamic warm ups lately (walking but lifting the knee as high as possible). I probably did it too quickly and aggravated it or something. Thanks for the help, CP; I'll do this on a regular basis while exercising a reasonable degree of caution.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    This makes sense - I've been including this type of walking in my dynamic warm ups lately (walking but lifting the knee as high as possible). I probably did it too quickly and aggravated it or something. Thanks for the help, CP; I'll do this on a regular basis while exercising a reasonable degree of caution.
    That's different. Doing the movement dynamically is just to lube up the hip joint, stretch out the hip extensors, and get your nervous system involved. What I mentioned here is to force your psoas to work.

1RM Videos