• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Best ways to strengthen the lower back

god hand

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What are the best ways to strengthen the lower back? With and without weights.

without:
planks
bird dogs
hypers

with:
deadlifts
squats
good mornings
hypers

do you have a video/pic of planks and bird dogs.

let me see what I can find.

lol- the first link for the planks, says you should not feel it in your lower back, but only in your abs.

mike456 said:
lol- the first link for the planks, says you should not feel it in your lower back, but only in your abs.

if you feel it in your back you are probably sinking your hips down. stay tight.

try and work up to 2+min. holding a straight, tight position.

good mournings seem like such a dangerous exercise, would you recommend them P?

god hand said:
good mournings seem like such a dangerous exercise, would you recommend them P?

I don't have people do them. I do them occasionally. I don't have anyone that I ever felt NEEDED to do that exercise. Unless you are an advanced lifter and have a need for it in your program then you can throw it in sometimes. But, in general, it isn't the most important exercise for back health and nor is it even needed in a program provided you are doing other things for the musculature.

P-funk said:
if you feel it in your back you are probably sinking your hips down. stay tight.

try and work up to 2+min. holding a straight, tight position.

When you can do planks for 10min with perfect form, like me, you will be a happy camper. When I started I could only do planks for 1min. I do them on my days off with neck bridges, v-ups and leg raises. :)

IML Gear Cream!
you can do it for 10min?? that is insane....and somewhat cool. :laugh:

Well, my ex girlfriend was a yoga instructor. She could do them for even longer! 12 minutes was her top time.

I have been doing then 3-4 times a week for the past year or so.

I don't know how long I can do them for. I did them once with my hands on a stability ball for a little over 3min. I don't know about the floor though. One thing I can say is that after about 30sec I get so fucking bored....lol, that is one reason why I usually do sets of 2min. This exercise is so boring.

I do them at home when I am listening to music, or at the park by my apartment with my headphones on (after run the stairs or skip). It's easier with headphones because you can block everything out and get into a groove.

Bakerboy said:
I do them at home when I am listening to music, or at the park by my apartment with my headphones on (after run the stairs or skip). It's easier with headphones because you can block everything out and get into a groove.

oh, I have headphones on. I still hate it. LOL....total ADD.

I like to get aggressive with my plank variations. For example, I will progress to feet on a stability ball. Another awesome progression (These are my favorites) is to start in pushup position and then walk your hands out a little bit and hold it. The further you go, the harder it is. Those are incredibly hard. To take that up a notch, I will raise one arm and one leg when I hold that pushup walkout position. You can make that even harder by planting your hands on a medicine ball instead of a firm surface. Enjoy.

CowPimp said:
I like to get aggressive with my plank variations. For example, I will progress to feet on a stability ball. Another awesome progression (These are my favorites) is to start in pushup position and then walk your hands out a little bit and hold it. The further you go, the harder it is. Those are incredibly hard. To take that up a notch, I will raise one arm and one leg when I hold that pushup walkout position. You can make that even harder by planting your hands on a medicine ball instead of a firm surface. Enjoy.

yea, I do all that toe. one leg...both feet on ball, toes on ball, one foot, hands on ball, etc...so many variations.

P-funk said:
yea, I do all that toe. one leg...both feet on ball, toes on ball, one foot, hands on ball, etc...so many variations.

I like blast strap pushups with feet or toes on a ball too. Those are fucking great. I find that it kills my chest too (For those bodybuilders out there) because I have to adduct like crazy to stay stable.

CowPimp said:
I like blast strap pushups with feet or toes on a ball too. Those are fucking great. I find that it kills my chest too (For those bodybuilders out there) because I have to adduct like crazy to stay stable.

yup, blast strap rows with feet on ball is good too. I love the blast straps. They are good people.

You guys work out to hard... Seriously, some of those plank exercises sound tough. Have either of you (P, or CP) or anyone else on the board tried planks with weight on your back (like a 45 plate or sand bags)? I have and it was ok but it was a bit of a challenge to get into position.

I have a stability ball but I just use it as a chair :hehe:

IML Gear Cream!
Bakerboy said:
You guys work out to hard... Seriously, some of those plank exercises sound tough. Have either of you (P, or CP) or anyone else on the board tried planks with weight on your back (like a 45 plate or sand bags)? I have and it was ok but it was a bit of a challenge to get into position.

I have a stability ball but I just use it as a chair :hehe:

I've done the planks with an Xvest on just fucking around before. We have a 40 pound vest at my gym.

AKIRA said:
Holy shit. Those are interesting. Not sure Id pay $54 for them though. :shake:

What we do at my gym is use those arm stirrups for hanging leg raises, turn them upside down, slide them onto a bar in the power rack at the appropriate height, and then use the clips on the underside of the stirrups to stick some handles in. Works quite well.

Back