Blood Sugar/Glycemic Index holy grail of weight loss?

Rep Points

Blood Sugar/Glycemic Index holy grail of weight loss?

Guys, this is my daily diet/workout routine, i've been doing this for like 2 months now:

Wake: 6:30am
    HIIT on elliptical machine 45min
    breakfast: bowl of oatmeal or oatBran cereal, scoop or whey protein and water
    work (throughout the day): 2-3 pieces of fruit, like a 1 and a half handful of shelled peanuts (for fat) 1/2 cup of grilled chicken breasts
    home: pre- workout protein shake, in the gym no later than 6:30pm
    post workout protein shake w/bowl of oatbran (the fiber and low GI of the oatbran keeps me satiated for the rest of the night
    10:30 - bed

My goals: reducing body fat as much as possible; I'm 28yo, 5'9 159(naked)
    pretty good build, just wanting to shed annoying remainder of fat

This took me from a high of 200lbs, and admittedly, I was disgustingly fat (December 2005), hated my body/appearance, yet I was determined to change things..

Is my diet adequate? Any room for improvement to cut additional fat?

Oh and BTW, I did a bit of research on the glycemic index thing and diet and I consistently read that the low GI foods are slow burners thus keeping you full longer which keeps ME out of the kitchen...plus because I had an addiction to 'sugary' high GI breakfast cereals, where after eating, I could 'feel' the spike in my blood sugar immediately; thus I cut them out and went strictly to coarse grains (thus the old-fashioned oatmeal/oatbran thing)

Anyway, is it accurate in making the generalization that keeping one's blood sugar within a 'norm' (without spiking or tanking) via low GI foods maintains weight?
    Last edited by studen77; 06-23-2006 at 08:39 AM. Reason: more stuff

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Are you male or female? Either way, that is not enough food by no means.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

LOL! ya I'm male

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Good job on the weight loss. At this point, I would concentrate on a clean diet and a good workout routine. You will loose fat and gain muscle. Don't worry about your weight. Go by looking in the mirror.
    If you don't give your body needed proteins and fat, your fat loss will stop.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Don't my handul + 1/2 handful of shelled peanuts (with their high fat content) offer up the needed fat? I also upped my protein shakes to no less than 2-3 a day

Smartass anthropologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Studen77 - congrats on the w/ loss - nice going man.

dg806 - Just how important is protein to losing weight? Stickies say to keep muscle mass while cutting, but if you had a protein deficiency in your diet, the weight loss would slow right down? As is blaringly obvious by the qusestion im new to this, and dietry info is not as strong point.

Rep Points

Protein is very important whether you're trying to build muscle or burn fat. Don't miss a feeding. Try not to go over 3 hours without eating/drinking some sort of protein. Real food when you can, a shake when you can't.
    Max Good Morning - 874 Ibs.