NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Struggling with squats!!

Rep Points

Struggling with squats!!

I decided to try deep squats today. My goal was to get somewhere between 50-70 degrees. When i went below paralell i just about fell over, with only the bar! I decided to do them on the hack squat and struggled. I didnt realise how weak i was below paralell, i could hardly lift anything.

I'm currently doing P/RR/S, my leg day includes hack squat, legpress, SLDL, leg curls, calf raises and leg raises.

My question is, is it a good idea to use the hack squat as a stepping stone to doing free weight deep squats? Is there any other excercises that will help my cause, such as core stability work?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

nope, it isn't. the hack squat has you driving through a false center of gravity. it is nothing like doing a real squat. the only way to learn to squat is to squat. lower the weight and work on your form. check your flexibility also, especially if you are looking to sink them below paralell.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Work on it with your bodyweight if you have to. I think DB front squats (Shoulder carry squats) are a great segway to doing the real deal as well. Don't be afraid to stick a couple aerobic steps under your ass either. I end up having to start with boxes for virtually all my clients as I ease them into squatting.

I actually have very few clients doing BB squats. Some of them are just now breaking into that territory because of their horrible muscular imbalances, posture, core stability and flexibility. It's a technically complicated move that takes a certain level of fitness in various departments to achieve, so be patient and do it right!
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Yeah, my flexibilty is poor, trying to work on it though. I think what i will do is do free weight squats and try and go a little bit lower each time.

In terms of hypertrophy how much of a difference do you think will squatting deeper make? Progress has been very slow for me, but im patient!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Work on it with your bodyweight if you have to. I think DB front squats (Shoulder carry squats) are a great segway to doing the real deal as well. Don't be afraid to stick a couple aerobic steps under your ass either. I end up having to start with boxes for virtually all my clients as I ease them into squatting.

I actually have very few clients doing BB squats. Some of them are just now breaking into that territory because of their horrible muscular imbalances, posture, core stability and flexibility. It's a technically complicated move that takes a certain level of fitness in various departments to achieve, so be patient and do it right!
    Thanks, i'll give the front squats a go!

Rep Points

How do you hold the dumbells?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

DB front squats and plie squats are what I use to teach the squat.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by pengers84
    How do you hold the dumbells?

place them so that one end of the bell is on your shoulders and the other is point up. hands are holding the bar, elbos foreward like a racked position in the BB front squat.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    place them so that one end of the bell is on your shoulders and the other is point up. hands are holding the bar, elbos foreward like a racked position in the BB front squat.
    Thanks for the advice, I'l give them a go next session!

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    DB front squats and plie squats are what I use to teach the squat.
    Ah yes, pile squats are great too. Forgot about those.

1RM Videos

flawless

Rep Points

It amazes me how so many people can't squat, let alone have any flexibility and mobility. How can these people not get involved in activities that is great for exercising and conditioning. Even simple things like swimming and hiking or whatever they enjoy.

When i first started lifting EVER, i was able to squat deep with my bodyweight and i slowly increased weight over time. Do these people even care about their health and conditioning at all? Does anyone ever think about what's going to happen to them in the long run if they don't start doing something until it's too late?

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169
    It amazes me how so many people can't squat, let alone have any flexibility and mobility. How can these people not get involved in activities that is great for exercising and conditioning. Even simple things like swimming and hiking or whatever they enjoy.

When i first started lifting EVER, i was able to squat deep with my bodyweight and i slowly increased weight over time. Do these people even care about their health and conditioning at all? Does anyone ever think about what's going to happen to them in the long run if they don't start doing something until it's too late?
    This is what happens when you're a lawyer in DC working 60 hours a week. I have this one client who was working 80-100 hours every week to finish up some big project, she would cancel on me all the time. I felt bad for her, but she's been consistent lately now that it's done with.

For these people, it's hard to justify working out when their free time is so limited, and it's also hard to get motivated to do so when you're tired and stressed from work all the time. I'm not making excuses for them; I was working 50 hours a week at a physically demanding job (Not counting the 2 hour round trip commute every day) and taking a couple classes part time as well and still hitting the gym 4-6 days each week and following a strict meal plan, but I can certainly empathize.

You also have to consider that sometimes people lose the drive for so long, and when they finally realize they should be doing it they have been working a sedentary job for 15 years and they're getting older. They are intimidated, and they don't want to hurt themselves. They also have no idea what the Hell they are doing and don't realize all of the great free and easily available resources out there like this site. They have already developed those muscular imbalances, flexibility problems, and all kinds of other physical shortcomings that they would have to work around if they didn't have someone qualified to help them correct it.

I know it's hard for people like us to understand, but I try my best.

1RM Videos

flawless

Rep Points

Hmm, nice post. I see what you're trying to say. I was only talking about people who normally work 9-5 jobs with the weekends off. I forgot to include those extra busy workers without any time whatsoever. That is one thing i'm really concerned with. By the time i am done with college and hopefully getting my MBA or possible CPA degree, i am worried i will be working more than 40 hours a week along with a family to take care of if i get married. All of this will come into play so hopefully i can work out a flexible schedule.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169
    Hmm, nice post. I see what you're trying to say. I was only talking about people who normally work 9-5 jobs with the weekends off. I forgot to include those extra busy workers without any time whatsoever. That is one thing i'm really concerned with. By the time i am done with college and hopefully getting my MBA or possible CPA degree, i am worried i will be working more than 40 hours a week along with a family to take care of if i get married. All of this will come into play so hopefully i can work out a flexible schedule.
    Yeah, I get worried about that kind of shit too, but I just do my best to make time. I've organized my schedule such that I have blocks where I can train. It sounds ludicrous, but it's very important to me.

I feel sorry for those who are truly ignorant about exercise too. I used to work in sales at the gym; you would be amazed at what people don't know. They just make the connection to vanity, but not long term health. Of course, we also live in a society of instant gratification, so it's hard to do something that takes time to see results for a lot of people.

1RM Videos

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

umm i can go more than parallel but not much more ...when i try to get it very low i have the same problem ... i thought of trying front squats ......is it a good idea ....sorry but i don't know what's plie squats, box squats ..could any body post a video or something cause i haven't found it in exrx...

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

I made up a routine for a friend whos just starting to get into lifting, and i was surprised that he couldnt get squats either. Or deadlifts. He just cant bend his knees that much without falling over.

I think ill suggest some of the stuff ive read in here, so even though i didnt ask, cheers guys!
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by assassin
    umm i can go more than parallel but not much more ...when i try to get it very low i have the same problem ... i thought of trying front squats ......is it a good idea ....sorry but i don't know what's plie squats, box squats ..could any body post a video or something cause i haven't found it in exrx...
    Box squats are regular squats, you just sit on a box at the bottom (I use aerobic steps usually). It helps teach you to sit back and it keeps depth consistent.

Pile squats are where you place a dumbell between your legs (The handle will be vertical and the dumbbell resting on one of the weighted ends) and pick it up. It's almost like a deadlift really, but it helps teach you to sit back as well.

1RM Videos

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i'll try to put something behind me when i squat ...just to be comfortable ...actually sometimes when i'm holding a big weight .. i'm afraid to go so low so i just go a little bit more than parallel ........maybe if i put something behind be it'll encourage me to go lower .......thnx cp

My Little Man

Rep Points

Yeah, I get worried about that kind of shit too
    Well it's happening to me as we speak.........kinda.

About to have our first kid ( 3 weeks away give or take). Busy at work. Just moved house etc etc. I've resigned to lifting twice a week and sometimes even that is tough. I never want to be the guy working 80 hours a week. I want to see my family and have a life. It's harder to keep the diet good as well when time gets scarce. I do find that I enjoy my gym sessions greatly when it's only twice a week. You feel fresh and hungry to lift every time you go in.
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)