NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Observations?

Thread: Observations?

Rep Points

Observations?

If you watch pro's train, some train slow strict reps, other fast ballistic movements, some a combination, poor form ,good form etc. WHAT do they all have in common (and it takes most people years to learn) ?

CONTRACTION BABY, CONTRACTION!!!!

So from a certain POV there is no cheat, only the ability to get the most out of the rep. (always at least try to use good form)

And as for attitude and mental tenacity, one of my partners played a trick on me one day

He is this big German guy that everyone is afraid to talk to, and was much stronger than me. We were doing hack squats on a back loading machine and he had just done eight plates, I was (smaller then) and having a good day so I told him to take one off and I would try seven. I heard the clang and assumed he took the plate off, I cranked out 6 reps, thinking that wasn't so bad. a new PR. When he informed me I had done eight, I realized then that my limitations were in my mind.

For the strong minded, you can have your partner rack the weight while you are not looking and put trash bags over the weight!

For the weak minded, well, you usually say "I CAN'T DO THAT!" and I say "YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT" as I unrack the weight!

DP

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have done that with clients before. It is a simple mind over matter way of thinking.

Have them sit down, put 20 pounds more on a machine than they are used to doing, tell them it is the same as last time they were there and watch them crank out the same amount of reps. Then you show them what you did and they can't believe it. I always used that as a lesson about how the mind is stronger than the body. Great post!

Rep Points

That's so true, it all depends on your ,mind set and your mood. You gotta get psyched up too!

Rep Points

I think it would work well on people who think they take themselves to the limits but really are using about 90% of their capabilities. If you always train to the absolute limits then I can't see it being effective. I think it would work on me for legs because I like others sometimes think I am going all out when in fact I have 3 to 4 more reps in me.

Rep Points

DP

Rep Points

It's a Wonderful Life!!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Very true!

I always use my time between sets just to do that... to get myself psyched and pumped to do break that mindset to try to increase weights... then I look next to me and see this guy reading the Newspaper between sets! :duh:

Good post!

Rep Points

Re: Observations?

Originally posted by Dr. Pain
    If you watch pro's train, some train slow strict reps, other fast ballistic movements, some a combination, poor form ,good form etc. WHAT do they all have in common (and it takes most people years to learn) ?
    Answer: How to administer S#$t loads of steroids? I think that is the answer when you speak of pros. hahahaha

Lets face it, if you train with poor form for 6 months and check your gains, for arguments sake we'll pretend you gained 2 pds of muscle.

You now train 6 months with poor form for 6 months loaded with Juice and check your stats. Bet they are better then 2lbs. probably around 15 or more. According to the cycle.