• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

resistance training for my 65 year old mom

Bakerboy

cat burglar
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So my mom (who is 65 years old) asked me if I could help her put together a resistance training program that she could do 2-3 times a week.

She is about 110- 115 lbs 5' 4. She runs 3 x week for 45 min. and is very strong for her small size. Her main thing is running but she also rides her bike for about an hour 3 x a week. She used to go to a gym by her house but now she wants something that she can do at home. She is very busy so she needs something she can do at home that won't take her too long to do (30 min).
She eats very healthy but her intake caloric intake needs to be a bit higher so we are going to work on fixing that.
The thing that's tough is to find exercises that will help her build more mass but that are easy and safe for her to do. I would like to have her do free weight squats but her upper back is rounded (since she was a kid) so I don't think it's a good idea. When she went to the gym she used mostly machines because she felt intimidated by the free weights.

Any ideas?

She can do this 3x a week- everything 3x10-15
DB Lunges
DB Step-up
Push-ups- if they are too hard there is variations such as knees on the floor or knees elevated on something low
DB Rows
DB Seated Overhead Press
Pull-ups- if they are too hard someone can assist her such as in this video-
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/AsChinup.html

Yeah Mike, I like the exersices you picked. The only one that I think won't work is the chin ups. She isn't strong enough to do that yet. So I will need something to replace that exercise. I think I will also through in a plank. I will get her to do the step ups holding the dbs on her shoulders. I think she has a stability ball so I will get her to do the push ups and seated DB presses on that. She used to do step ups with light dbs and she liked them a lot as well as one legged squats off of a bench.

(2 sets 10-12 reps to start) 2-3 x week
Step ups
one legged squats off of a bench
lunges
pushups (start with knees, then progress to regular pushups)
DB overhead presses (sitting on a stability ball)
DB rows
one more back movement (not sure)
planks

Hmmm, I'm not sure, it looks like it might take to long

You can split it up if it is too long:
Monday- total body 1
Thursday- total body 2

total body 1 (everything 2x10-15)
One-legged Squats off a bench
DB Lunges
Push-ups on knees
DB OH Press on Ball
DB Row
Negative Pull-ups, Maybe?? I hear they are very intense so only once a week

total body 2 (everything 2x10-15)
One-legged Squats off a bench
DB Step-ups
Push-ups on knees
DB OH Press on Ball
DB Row
Planks

At 12 sets a workout I don't think it is too much now...

Tell her to stay with this rep range for about a month, and then you could switch it up based on her goals.

I'm going to write that up and give it to her. Thanks a lot Mike, I think she will like it. :)

Just some other suggestions:

To increase the demand on her core, you could have her do pushups with feet on the floor and hands on a bench, or maybe even something sitting on the bench until she gets strong enough for that. I have a lot of clients start by doing pushups on a bar set in a power rack and move it down notch by notch until they can do them on a bench, and eventually on the floor. I have a problem with knee pushups for no good reason, heh.

Squats are cool, but start with bodyweight squats using a bench or something to sit on. Work with her to get her form down. Squatting is something certain people need a lot of practice and work with to get down the motor patterns. Maybe she will catch on quick, maybe not, but just be prepared for that. Also, pile squats and front squats with dumbbells are great for teaching proper squat form with external loads. I really like the dumbbell front squats because one can usually maintain an upright torso more effectively relative to a back squat. I use these with good success with anyone who has back problems, and as a general progression to back squats.

With reference to what mike suggested, I think you need to progress to certain exercises. I like to start with split squats before moving to Bulgarian squats, which is what it sounds like one legged squats off a bench are. Again, some people will progress faster than others, but it's still a good idea to start with the easier stuff and work on up.

If you want to get some kind of pulldown variation in there you could buy a resistance band and drape it over something so she can kneel or sit down and do pulldowns with a band. You might also consider purchasing some heavier duty bands to rig up a homemade assisted chinup setup.

Thanks CP, as usual you give me a lot to ponder.:hehe: You always seem to come up with some cool advise. :thumbup:I think the modified pushups you mentioned would work well for her. I had her perform pushups against the back of a park bench and then a few with her hands on the front seat a few weeks ago and she seemed to do okay, not exactly like the pushups you are talking about but close. After that she tried to do a plank which she held for 30 seconds. I am sure she will be able to increase that in no time. She can already perform Bulgarian squats with good form (25 per side with her own BW) but she does need a bit of work on regular squats (she leans too far forward and does not sit back enough). I will get her to do them with a box or chair underneath her until she gets more comfortable with them. The band idea sounds like a great solution to use for pull downs or the assisted chin ups. I will rig something up for her next time I see her.
I want her to feel in control of her athletic goals. To do that she needs to
be comfortable with the exercises she is doing. I want her to feel confident in her ability to impove her health through strength training and diet. I think the movements that you and Mike suggested will be something she can really get into and enjoy and will help her make strides (pun intended) with her running.
Thanks for your help. ;)

Back