Divine Nutrition

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

old guy blows a gasket

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

old guy blows a gasket

Hey guys (and gals)! It has been a long time since I've visited, so I have no idea who half of you are.....which may be a good thing.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, a few years back I think I asked a few of you about a generalized pain in my abdomen......well, as it turns out, I have a hernia. Now, from what the doctor told me, it is a smalll weak area (not really torn) and not an inguinal hernia. He told me that sit-ups and crunches may aggrivate it, and that surgery isn't necessary right now but will probably be in the future. So, the question is, should I return to the gym with a new program that minimalizes impact on that area, stay with light weight and more reps, or just diet for the rest of my life?
    Since I was last here, I've gone from 248lbs. to 205lbs. and while I've lost some muscle, I just can't resist the urge to take advantage of this starting weight for a new program.

What do you think?

www.Bodyfactoryllc.com

Rep Points

Sounds like you dropped a nut so to speak. When you do have ok to go bck to lifting it might be advisiable you where some kind of supporter to keep the boys in place. You might want to start strengenig abs with isometric exercises and when dr gives you ok go to abdominal exercises slowly

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

As you know, I am no doctor, but I would want to go ahead and get the surgery out of the way.

How did you lose the weight? As I recall, NOTHING worked for you while you were here...you obviously found something, help your chubby SC buddy out
    My Carb Cycling Progress - you can't hide from the numbers.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And as Yen said in Ocean's 11....

Where the fuck you been?

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973
    Sounds like you dropped a nut so to speak. When you do have ok to go bck to lifting it might be advisiable you where some kind of supporter to keep the boys in place. You might want to start strengenig abs with isometric exercises and when dr gives you ok go to abdominal exercises slowly
    Well, the doc said that nothing has descended as with most hernias. I have more of a weak area right along/off center from where your beltline is. I think he called it a "baby" hernia. So the boys are just fine...for now.
    Oh, and get this...after years of lifting weights, people (when I worked at the hospital) and heavy materials, this thing happened when I was helping my aunt (stroke victim) out of the car about five years ago. It just started bugging me within the past year or so, which is why I finally got it checked out. Oddly, it hasn't ached for months.
    I've just always lifted as heavy as I could stand, and need to re-think my training program. I'm wondering if a regular lifting belt will help or hinder this thing too.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    As you know, I am no doctor, but I would want to go ahead and get the surgery out of the way.

How did you lose the weight? As I recall, NOTHING worked for you while you were here...you obviously found something, help your chubby SC buddy out
    Well, the reason I had gained so much was because I quit smoking and I was taking in a lot of suppliments and gaining muscle as well.

To asnswer your question.....I......uh....um...well, I fell of of the smoking wagon.

Go ahead......throw rotten vegi's at me.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor
    Well, the reason I had gained so much was because I quit smoking and I was taking in a lot of suppliments and gaining muscle as well.

To asnswer your question.....I......uh....um...well, I fell of of the smoking wagon.

Go ahead......throw rotten vegi's at me.
    Nope, I won't throw vegi's at you...you lost a good bit of weight... I guess you have a choice - die of lung cancer or die of obesity? Just kidding, 248 aint THAT heavy.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Nope, I won't throw vegi's at you...you lost a good bit of weight... I guess you have a choice - die of lung cancer or die of obesity? Just kidding, 248 aint THAT heavy.
    Well, 248 didn't do much for my girlish figure either. heh heh.

The old man (just turned 40) is going for the lean look at about 210-215 max. if he can pull it off. Ideally, I'd get down to about 190, quit smoking again, and fight of the returning 15-20 lbs.

www.Bodyfactoryllc.com

Rep Points

Well if they operate and use the mesh lining you will be good as new in half time of usually operatation. i known bodybuilders to go back full tilit with in 4--6 weeks. Modern medicine is wonderful

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

HAN, whats the deal here, are you not getting the message??

DeMayor doesn't have enough damage to warrant surgical repairs. And they don't use mesh unless the tear is of a certain size.

I sure as fuck would not use smoking to be my weight down if I were you.

Why? It impairs glucose tolerance. Don't have that in hand, you're not going to make the body recomp goals you have in mind. Moreover, who would want to lick an ashtray? Smoking is a nasty habit; kick it, and get your diet and workout routine in hand.

If you have a small weakening in the abdominal wall, there may be ways to engender self repair...maybe. Don't think its been tried much, but I presume it possible. Diet will have to be stellar and yeah, you have to rethink your routine in the meantime to avoid worsening the minor damage. Might want to think about factors that correlate with the return of the pain.

Don't go away, we aren't finished here.

www.Bodyfactoryllc.com

Rep Points

Sorry trouble my gf was talking dirty to me on the phone. I have to stop multitasking bad habit

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble
    If you have a small weakening in the abdominal wall, there may be ways to engender self repair...maybe. Don't think its been tried much, but I presume it possible. Diet will have to be stellar and yeah, you have to rethink your routine in the meantime to avoid worsening the minor damage. Might want to think about factors that correlate with the return of the pain.

Don't go away, we aren't finished here.
    Not ignoring the first part of your comment, just shortening the text here.

With your point taken regarding diet, glucose issues, etc., my focus at this point is my return to the gym after about a two year hiatus, which alone will present quite a challenge as far as strategy goes, and my theory that if I engineered my workouts properly I could avoid re-injury or further injury if not strengthen my abs via some indirect stress from other lifting movements.
    Like I said earlier, I haven't had any consistant pain in a while, and when I did, it was fairly mild and bearable. I just don't want to do something I might foresee as harmless and end up screwing things up worse. Obviously, squats are out, lunges, legs extentions, etc. are questionable......I'd just hate to bust a gut while working my forearms or something.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK, so you got this damage. You didn't have pain for a long time. What were you eating, using for supps, how were you training? What lifestyle factors were present that are different now? Sleep habits? Smoking? Got more stress now?

What about cardio? You did it then, but not now?

See what we're doing here? We're looking for preventive factors to cut down on the triggering of pain - its a nocioception issue - perception of pain from pain sensors. Get them riled and extra sensitive, voila.

Thats assuming that the physical exertion type isn't causing a little more tearing. IF you do says nope, its not time, then my bet its pain perception thats scewed here, gotta ta fix that.

Make sense?

Get that reckoned with, and then you ask..how do we fix this, cause it to heal rather than tear more?

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK, so you got this damage. You didn't have pain for a long time. What were you eating, using for supps, how were you training? What lifestyle factors were present that are different now? Sleep habits? Smoking? Got more stress now?

What about cardio? You did it then, but not now?

See what we're doing here? We're looking for preventive factors to cut down on the triggering of pain - its a nocioception issue - perception of pain from pain sensors. Get them riled and extra sensitive, voila.

Thats assuming that the physical exertion type isn't causing a little more tearing. IF you do says nope, its not time, then my bet its pain perception thats scewed here, gotta ta fix that.

Make sense?

Get that reckoned with, and then you ask..how do we fix this, cause it to heal rather than tear more?
    I'm with ya.

While all of the factors you mentioned have changed back and forth over the past couple of years, I have noticed that the aching sensation was more pronounced during periods of above-average stress....which, by the way, I normally handle better than most. For instance, I hadn't had any noteable pain or discomfort until I purchased this restaurant.....really, no joke. About mid-way through the second year is when this thing really started acting up. Now, I have had employees who were a pain in the ass, and one who made my right nut turn blue , but beyond that all I can assume is that the fast pace and new range of motion (fast movements left to right, bending over and back up quickly, etc.) must have targeted that area that was damaged. What I don't get is that I can do sit-ups without noticing much of anything, and yet I can make some oddball random movement and feel a slight sensation. Odd. I'll have to track movements for a while I guess.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DaMayor
    ...employees who were a pain in the ass...
    This statement is redundant.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This statement is redundant.
    Oh man, if you think I'm long winded now, don't get me started on that subject!

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Maybe an analagous situation:

Friend has been stuck, losing mass and, seeing slow slippage of strength. During this time, he has ceased use of chemical enhancements, so naturally, you think, 1 + 1 = 2, right?

Nadda. He has high residual stress, not so stellar diet and very poor quality sleep. He's knocked his daily cortisol release patterns sideways. That results in mild catabolism, as well as increased pain perception, tendency towards inflammation in connective, muscle and nerve tissue. Also wrecks mood and socialization capacity (so handy dandy for dealing with problematic employees).

Now, he's making slow gains in strength and stamina. Much to his surprise, he outperforms on a certain lift, well beyond expectation, even though he wasn't using it much in training (deadlifts should be avoided or used sparingly during high stress periods as they do more harm than good...or, back of the mass and frequency, take your pick). So I mention collateral effects. Thats fancy talk to using accessory muscles for large group exertion to improve strength performance. In this case, its core strength exercises for the muscles that stabilize upright stance. Goes beyond simple crunches. Pilates type movements. I have found them to be very useful - and you may as well. Obliques, erectors, hip adductors, blah blah blah. They work in unison with the abs groups in the type movements you describe.

PM me, I see some horsetrading of professional knowledge in my crystal ball.

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

DM! You are still alive. You still working too much?
    We never did get a chance to get together! If you still have that restaurant, a road trip may be needed!

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dg806
    DM! You are still alive. You still working too much?
    We never did get a chance to get together! If you still have that restaurant, a road trip may be needed!
    12-13 hours a day, six days a week.....well, six and a half.

We've moved into a brand new building. Much easier for you out-of-towners to find than the previous location.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Okay, in reference to my original question......is there some other sort of belt that could be used that would offer more resistance against the abdominal muscles? Maybe something similar to that worn by boxers?

I know there are arguments against using belts, as they don't allow the abs to "work" as well while working out, but I'm up for suggestions at this point.

www.Bodyfactoryllc.com

Rep Points

I never wore a belt even when I was squating 600 for reps or dead lifting. I make sure I had prefect form and practice proper breathing. I feel it restricts your breathing and unless you have a medical condition it is only a fashioin statement and will weaken your abdominal wall. May be in your case it may be appropiate. I think pink would look really cute on you LOL. I see these idiots walking around the gym with belts so tight I do not know how they can breath..Personally I think they may use them as a girdle to keep that waist line looking trimmer to impress the women

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973
    I never wore a belt even when I was squating 600 for reps or dead lifting. I make sure I had prefect form and practice proper breathing. I feel it restricts your breathing and unless you have a medical condition it is only a fashioin statement and will weaken your abdominal wall. May be in your case it may be appropiate. I think pink would look really cute on you LOL. I see these idiots walking around the gym with belts so tight I do not know how they can breath..Personally I think they may use them as a girdle to keep that waist line looking trimmer to impress the women
    Yeah, I'll go with pink.....to match my spandex body suit. Actually I think I have a camouflage belt somewhere.....the good-ol-boys would dig that.
    I may have fit into the "sort of protecting, but mostly controling the gut" crowd. Problem is, where this "tear" is located is really just below where the belt fits, so I'm doubting it would do much good....if not harm what's already harmed. I think, other than doing way too much too soon like I was prone to do in the past, my breathing might be a key issue, as would be form, which I will have to carefully monitor from now on.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Powerlifter belts are made to support more area than a 'bodybuilders belt.' They can be pricey, $70 is not abnormal.

http://www.elitefts.com/belt-infoshe...FQqqJAodMRr5rg

As you can see, there is no taper in the front, its all support. You can get one or two prong, or a lever belt which is popular.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good idea....But they didn't have any in pink.

But hey, $70.00 is better than having to take quit everything. I'm still thinking about holdong off until I hear what the doc has to say.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Last time I looked for one, I found the same belts that Mudge mentions, in pretty-boy pink from a different vendor. On sale, too.

*smirking*

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Last time I looked for one, I found the same belts that Mudge mentions, in pretty-boy pink from a different vendor. On sale, too.

*smirking*
    What's this? Levity from a distant star system? Looks good on ya, T.

Well, if you really must know, DaMayor would prefer lavender anyway.

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

On a serious note, if Trouble would quit poking fun at me (such a use of humor is often idicative of other issues, I understand )

Anyway, I'm concerned that even this type of belt may not be of much use because the bottom 'edge' of the belt may not be low enough to apply pressure to the area I'm trying to protect.