Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Variations of deadlifts

I'm considering doing rack deads for back strength and mass.

I know very well what a stiff-legged deadlift is; I know what a sumo deadlift is; and I know what a regular deadlift is. I have at one time or another used a variation of all of the above.

My question is, how is a rack deadlift performed and how is it different from the above mentioned? Also what are the benefits of doing these as opposed to regular deads?
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

it is performed off pins in the rack at varying heights.

it differs because the ROM is less (depending on where you are pulling from) so you have the oppurtunity of working on just the top part and extending the back, less work from the hips (a higher set pin) or by strengthening a specific point in your lift that might be weak (lower pin settings).
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

are there any pointers I can use if working for mass in the back? In other words, does it make a difference in pin selection? Are there any videos I can watch to see it performed?
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

You can use a sumo stance or conventional stance for rack deads. Rack deads are usually used to overcome a sticking point. Why do you think that rack deads will do more for your goals than deads from the floor?

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I read that they are generally better for back work.

Fueled by Testosterone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut
    I read that they are generally better for back work.
    Yeah, it lets you use heavier weights so that you can force your back to have to keep tight under heavier loads. Hopefully this stimulates a stronger isometric contraciton.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

i like rack deads i do them i have my pins set below my knees

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

trap bar is the best way imo to deadlift. I usually have people deadlift like that because it takes a lot of pressure off the lower back, by setting the handles at your sides. It is a really good groove to pull from and can mimic a squat or deadlift type movement depending on where you set your hips. I also like it for explosive stuff like trap bar pulls from the floor (with triple ext. and shrug) or some jump shrugs (from hang or from floor). I have athletes do it too, as long as their school or program is not going to be testing them in their deadlift (some schools do, some don't) I think it sets their hips into a much better athletic position.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

SeƱor Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

That's my favorite piece of equipment in a gym, I wish mine had one.

Fueled by Testosterone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I don't make enough use of it, but yeah, my gym has one of those. Definitely a valuable tool in the training arsenal.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

looks like I will be using it.

But did anyone see anything on videos for rack deads? I dont want to screw my back up. I plan on putting the pins near the lower shins.

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

i think the only adjustment I need to make in my thinking here is that most of the vids show these guys pulling from above the knees or around the knees, which seems to be the right area to work the back.

THANK YOUUUUUUU!

Creator of Chaos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

good job shiznit I owe you.