NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Variations of deadlifts

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Variations of deadlifts

I'm considering doing rack deads for back strength and mass.

I know very well what a stiff-legged deadlift is; I know what a sumo deadlift is; and I know what a regular deadlift is. I have at one time or another used a variation of all of the above.

My question is, how is a rack deadlift performed and how is it different from the above mentioned? Also what are the benefits of doing these as opposed to regular deads?

In BUILT We Trust

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

it is performed off pins in the rack at varying heights.

it differs because the ROM is less (depending on where you are pulling from) so you have the oppurtunity of working on just the top part and extending the back, less work from the hips (a higher set pin) or by strengthening a specific point in your lift that might be weak (lower pin settings).
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

are there any pointers I can use if working for mass in the back? In other words, does it make a difference in pin selection? Are there any videos I can watch to see it performed?

In BUILT We Trust

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You can use a sumo stance or conventional stance for rack deads. Rack deads are usually used to overcome a sticking point. Why do you think that rack deads will do more for your goals than deads from the floor?

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

I read that they are generally better for back work.

In BUILT We Trust

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut
    I read that they are generally better for back work.
    Yeah, it lets you use heavier weights so that you can force your back to have to keep tight under heavier loads. Hopefully this stimulates a stronger isometric contraciton.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

i like rack deads i do them i have my pins set below my knees

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

In BUILT We Trust

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

trap bar is the best way imo to deadlift. I usually have people deadlift like that because it takes a lot of pressure off the lower back, by setting the handles at your sides. It is a really good groove to pull from and can mimic a squat or deadlift type movement depending on where you set your hips. I also like it for explosive stuff like trap bar pulls from the floor (with triple ext. and shrug) or some jump shrugs (from hang or from floor). I have athletes do it too, as long as their school or program is not going to be testing them in their deadlift (some schools do, some don't) I think it sets their hips into a much better athletic position.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Señor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That's my favorite piece of equipment in a gym, I wish mine had one.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I don't make enough use of it, but yeah, my gym has one of those. Definitely a valuable tool in the training arsenal.

1RM Videos

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

looks like I will be using it.

But did anyone see anything on videos for rack deads? I dont want to screw my back up. I plan on putting the pins near the lower shins.

In BUILT We Trust

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

i think the only adjustment I need to make in my thinking here is that most of the vids show these guys pulling from above the knees or around the knees, which seems to be the right area to work the back.

THANK YOUUUUUUU!

In BUILT We Trust

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

good job shiznit I owe you.

In BUILT We Trust

flawless

Rep Points

No problem jug

I got a question of my own as well for you experts. My PR from the floor is 405 but my sticking point is when i have the bar just above my knees and i need that last pull to get it up.

I know that i could probably set the pins at knee or slightly above knee level, but how much weight could i probably do and what should i shoot for?

Señor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169
    No problem jug

I got a question of my own as well for you experts. My PR from the floor is 405 but my sticking point is when i have the bar just above my knees and i need that last pull to get it up.

I know that i could probably set the pins at knee or slightly above knee level, but how much weight could i probably do and what should i shoot for?
    We're right around the same #'s. I can pull 420 from the floor and more than 500 from just below the knees.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hye, Cow, P-Funk, since I know you guys read my problem with my lower back. After rest, stretching, and (if I can find a fucking foam roll), would racks be a good alternative or would it make my back problem worse?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

you pulled a muscle in your lower back and you want to load it up with rack pulls? common sense is going to tell me....no.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    you pulled a muscle in your lower back and you want to load it up with rack pulls? common sense is going to tell me....no.

I am looking for how I should get back into lower body work after recovery without totally avoiding deads completely.

Racks are for sticky points, but are they good for performance imperfections or rehabilitation?
    I am not going to throw on 315lbs if thats what you mean...

Exploring options here...
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA
    I am looking for how I should get back into lower body work after recovery without totally avoiding deads completely.

Racks are for sticky points, but are they good for performance imperfections or rehabilitation?

1) begin by resting and getting the back healed up
    2) start slow and light
    3) slowly build back up

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Rest includes laying off standing overhead presses too huh.

As as this makes me, its better than making it worse.

Will do. I jsut cant seem to find a fucking foam roller. I am going to have to order one it seems..
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

cat burglar

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA

Rest up and do what P told you. The worst thing world be to re-injure your back. I would start with band work, then light weights but don't get carried away.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

they sell them on performbetter.com or power-systmens.com and I think at elitefts.com as well.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

they sell them on performbetter.com or power-systmens.com and I think at elitefts.com as well.
    Yeah, I got the other reply in my "POP" thread. Ill take a gander when I get home cuz this computer is extremely touchy.

Thanks for listening to my pissing and moaning.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169
    No problem jug

If your PR is 405, you might shoot for somewhere around 350 for doubles to get used to the movement. Increase the weight as necessary and use singles if you're up to it. Eventually you'll get past 405 in the upper and then slowly increase your PR. Or at least that's what I'd do.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Ordered.

I got a long one. Since there are no 'moving parts' is one foam roller better than the other or are they basically all the same?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

there is one that they sell that is re-enforced with some PVC pipe through the center. it is like $30 i think. it is the best because it lasts long and it has no give. the cheaper ones are fine but you may have to replace them after awhile because they get dented and warn down.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

there is one that they sell that is re-enforced with some PVC pipe through the center. it is like $30 i think. it is the best because it lasts long and it has no give. the cheaper ones are fine but you may have to replace them after awhile because they get dented and warn down.
    I like the one with the PVC too. We have one at my gym. That thing is killer though. It makes a huge difference in terms of how much pressure you can apply to the tissue. That little bit of give in the all foam rollers makes a difference.

1RM Videos