• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Variations of deadlifts

juggernaut

Creator of Chaos
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm considering doing rack deads for back strength and mass.

I know very well what a stiff-legged deadlift is; I know what a sumo deadlift is; and I know what a regular deadlift is. I have at one time or another used a variation of all of the above.

My question is, how is a rack deadlift performed and how is it different from the above mentioned? Also what are the benefits of doing these as opposed to regular deads?

it is performed off pins in the rack at varying heights.

it differs because the ROM is less (depending on where you are pulling from) so you have the oppurtunity of working on just the top part and extending the back, less work from the hips (a higher set pin) or by strengthening a specific point in your lift that might be weak (lower pin settings).

are there any pointers I can use if working for mass in the back? In other words, does it make a difference in pin selection? Are there any videos I can watch to see it performed?

You can use a sumo stance or conventional stance for rack deads. Rack deads are usually used to overcome a sticking point. Why do you think that rack deads will do more for your goals than deads from the floor?

juggernaut said:
I read that they are generally better for back work.

Yeah, it lets you use heavier weights so that you can force your back to have to keep tight under heavier loads. Hopefully this stimulates a stronger isometric contraciton.

i like rack deads :) i do them i have my pins set below my knees

juggernaut said:
i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

trap bar is the best way imo to deadlift. I usually have people deadlift like that because it takes a lot of pressure off the lower back, by setting the handles at your sides. It is a really good groove to pull from and can mimic a squat or deadlift type movement depending on where you set your hips. I also like it for explosive stuff like trap bar pulls from the floor (with triple ext. and shrug) or some jump shrugs (from hang or from floor). I have athletes do it too, as long as their school or program is not going to be testing them in their deadlift (some schools do, some don't) I think it sets their hips into a much better athletic position.

juggernaut said:
i saw this really cool bar in the shape of a diamond yesterday made especially for deads. Anyone ever sen one of these?

That's my favorite piece of equipment in a gym, I wish mine had one. :(

IML Gear Cream!
juggernaut said:

I don't make enough use of it, but yeah, my gym has one of those. Definitely a valuable tool in the training arsenal.

looks like I will be using it.

But did anyone see anything on videos for rack deads? I dont want to screw my back up. I plan on putting the pins near the lower shins.

i think the only adjustment I need to make in my thinking here is that most of the vids show these guys pulling from above the knees or around the knees, which seems to be the right area to work the back.

:thumb: THANK YOUUUUUUU!:thumb:

No problem jug

I got a question of my own as well for you experts. My PR from the floor is 405 but my sticking point is when i have the bar just above my knees and i need that last pull to get it up.

I know that i could probably set the pins at knee or slightly above knee level, but how much weight could i probably do and what should i shoot for?

shiznit2169 said:
No problem jug

I got a question of my own as well for you experts. My PR from the floor is 405 but my sticking point is when i have the bar just above my knees and i need that last pull to get it up.

I know that i could probably set the pins at knee or slightly above knee level, but how much weight could i probably do and what should i shoot for?

We're right around the same #'s. I can pull 420 from the floor and more than 500 from just below the knees.

Hye, Cow, P-Funk, since I know you guys read my problem with my lower back. After rest, stretching, and (if I can find a fucking foam roll), would racks be a good alternative or would it make my back problem worse?

you pulled a muscle in your lower back and you want to load it up with rack pulls? common sense is going to tell me....no.

P-funk said:
you pulled a muscle in your lower back and you want to load it up with rack pulls? common sense is going to tell me....no.

I am looking for how I should get back into lower body work after recovery without totally avoiding deads completely.

Racks are for sticky points, but are they good for performance imperfections or rehabilitation?
I am not going to throw on 315lbs if thats what you mean...

Exploring options here...

IML Gear Cream!
AKIRA said:
I am looking for how I should get back into lower body work after recovery without totally avoiding deads completely.

Racks are for sticky points, but are they good for performance imperfections or rehabilitation?

1) begin by resting and getting the back healed up
2) start slow and light
3) slowly build back up

Rest includes laying off standing overhead presses too huh.

As :mad: as this makes me, its better than making it worse.

Will do. I jsut cant seem to find a fucking foam roller. I am going to have to order one it seems..

AKIRA said:

Rest up and do what P told you. The worst thing world be to re-injure your back. I would start with band work, then light weights but don't get carried away.

they sell them on performbetter.com or power-systmens.com and I think at elitefts.com as well.

P-funk said:
they sell them on performbetter.com or power-systmens.com and I think at elitefts.com as well.

Yeah, I got the other reply in my "POP" thread. Ill take a gander when I get home cuz this computer is extremely touchy.

Thanks for listening to my pissing and moaning. :spaz:

shiznit2169 said:
No problem jug

If your PR is 405, you might shoot for somewhere around 350 for doubles to get used to the movement. Increase the weight as necessary and use singles if you're up to it. Eventually you'll get past 405 in the upper and then slowly increase your PR. Or at least that's what I'd do.

there is one that they sell that is re-enforced with some PVC pipe through the center. it is like $30 i think. it is the best because it lasts long and it has no give. the cheaper ones are fine but you may have to replace them after awhile because they get dented and warn down.

P-funk said:
there is one that they sell that is re-enforced with some PVC pipe through the center. it is like $30 i think. it is the best because it lasts long and it has no give. the cheaper ones are fine but you may have to replace them after awhile because they get dented and warn down.

I like the one with the PVC too. We have one at my gym. That thing is killer though. It makes a huge difference in terms of how much pressure you can apply to the tissue. That little bit of give in the all foam rollers makes a difference.

Back