Is fish essential?

Rep Points

Is fish essential?

Is it essential to eat fish daily on a cutting diet or will fish oil be enough?

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Neither fish or fish oils are essential. Sources of lean protein and healthy fats are essential and come in many forms. See Jodi's guide to cutting, bulking and maintenance. It is a sticky in this forum.

Rep Points

Fish oil is enough. You dont need to eat fish unless you like the taste. It taste like crap to me.
    Good Day

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Not necessarily, though I think fish oil is one of the best supplements you can take. It is pretty cheap too.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    Not necessarily, though I think fish oil is one of the best supplements you can take. It is pretty cheap too.
    Thanks guys. I'll just bump up my fish oil intake.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by musclehead24
    Is it essential to eat fish daily on a cutting diet or will fish oil be enough?
    I do not eat fish, but I do use an EFA supplement, see Essence EFA

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

How can you people not like fish? Oh man, I'd die if I couldn't have seafood it's my favorite.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    How can you people not like fish? Oh man, I'd die if I couldn't have seafood it's my favorite.
    Agreed. Seafood owns. Sushi is probably my favorite food on the planet.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi

Well I wouldn't die, but I love seafood.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Fish is the healthiest of all meats........................
    May the Lord Jesus Christ bless those who bless me as I gladly accept their blessings, and curse those who curse me all the while protecting me for any evils. In Christ name, amen...

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu

Well I wouldn't die, but I love seafood.

I agreemeow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Semantic tangle here.

1. Fish oil isn't essential, but its the richest source of essential fatty acids. Essential is a term that means required in diet because your body doesn't synthesize the micronutrient.

2. Fish itself can be a healthy protein source - but, certain fish types that bioaccumulate environmental contaminants should be eaten somewhat sparingly.

Current recommendation is to choose wild caught over farm raised salmon, and to limit consumption to a few servings per week (fewer for pregnant and lactating females and young children). Many areas have fish consumption advisories for sport fish consumption, especially bottom feeders (tilapia and carp). Shellfish also have a propensity to bioaccumulate certain toxins - however, they have an unusual peroxidase activity that sequester heavy metals into the carapce of their shells; not the case with organic contaminants, however.

In your case, Jodi, I would be careful to curb seafood enthusiasm, due to its tendency to bioaccumulate methylmercury. Mercury accumulation has been tied to thyroid dysfunction - most likely because selenium is oxidized when it reduces mercury (causing it to be more easily excreted from the body); this reduces the active selenium in circulation. Oxidized selenium is rather bad chemical karma; one hopes that endogenous reducing equivalents are sufficient to recycle it to avoid adverse oxidizer effects on membrane lipids, nucleic acids and proteins.

Cutting

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    yes