Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Freezing Flax Oil

In Training

Rep Points

Freezing Flax Oil

Does it damage flax oil to be frozen for a short period of time? Can it even be frozen?

I ask because of my daily breakfast routine.

Just before my cardio session I blend up a shake (1/2 cup oats, 1/2 raw bananna, 1 scoop whey, 1 tblspoon flax oil, 2 cups water) and throw it in the freezer. It is there for an hour or so until I get out of the shower, re-blend it and drink.

Usually I will leave the flax oil out until the 2nd blend. So it doesn't spend that hour in the freezer. Just pull it out of the fridge and blend it into the half frozen shake. Is this really neccesary? I was thinking adding the flax before I freeze it might help the shake from sticking/freezing to the sides of the blender container.

Long winded but simple question -- appreciate any help
    "Knowing is not enough we must apply." --- "Willing is not enough we must do."

-B.L.

In Training

Rep Points

Nobody? I guess I shall have to experiment and find out

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Freezing flax seed oil is fine, actually delays the oil going rancid.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This is a hard case to decide. Gut feeling: add the flax oil after freezing. Either way, the cold temp is going to cause it to separate from the hydrophilic phase. It probably will stick to the sides of the container (coat it) which will reduce its concentration in the shake.

Alternative might be to add crushed ice at the end, or just leave the shake in the refrig and not the freezer. You may like the consistancy, but you pay a price in the compositional quality if you freeze it. I would never freeze thaw the whole whey proteins that have distinct benefits (concentrate) from those of simple very small peptides (isolate). This is why I think the Blend sold by All the Whey might be a superior and surprisingly affordable alternative to either whey concentrate or isolate on their own.

I would also add bran, if you're not already doing so.

By all means freeze the flax oil; it does indeed extend shelf life. However, its utility as an essential oil is questionable. Flax seed ground or whole might be preferrable as its supplies fiber and phytochemicals that are superior in health benefits to the oil itself.

In Training

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble
    This is a hard case to decide. Gut feeling: add the flax oil after freezing. Either way, the cold temp is going to cause it to separate from the hydrophilic phase. It probably will stick to the sides of the container (coat it) which will reduce its concentration in the shake.

Alternative might be to add crushed ice at the end, or just leave the shake in the refrig and not the freezer. You may like the consistancy, but you pay a price in the compositional quality if you freeze it. I would never freeze thaw the whole whey proteins that have distinct benefits (concentrate) from those of simple very small peptides (isolate). This is why I think the Blend sold by All the Whey might be a superior and surprisingly affordable alternative to either whey concentrate or isolate on their own.

By all means freeze the flax oil; it does indeed extend shelf life. However, its utility as an essential oil is questionable. Flax seed ground or whole might be preferrable as its supplies fiber and phytochemicals that are superior in health benefits to the oil itself.
    Excellent response, thank you.

Can you think of an alternative way of adding EFA's to my shake other than flax? Without compromising the flavor that is... I do also take fish oil caps throughout the day so maybe I am ok.

I have not tried ground flax as you suggested but I see it every time I'm in the store so I will give that a trial run as well.
    "Knowing is not enough we must apply." --- "Willing is not enough we must do."

-B.L.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You can add the oil from fish oil caps to your shake. You can add a little EVO (extra virgin olive oil), or you can continue to add flax. Point is you want the oil to slow down gastric "dumping" or emptying, as this slows down intestinal transit time and improves your ability to absorb the protein present.

I also encourage folks to add bran (not wheat - rice, barley or oat) for the same reason, but also to help encourage the formation of healthy intestinal microflora who need and use beta glucans to form an extrapolymeric matrix called "candyfloss" (I kid you not). Its the reservoir that, when normal intestintal vili (natural finger like projections of the intestinal wall that provide extra surface area for nutrient absorption and bacteria refugia - a special niche for commensal microbes that live in our gut) also affords a retention and sorta temp storage for food particles - this vastly increases absorption rate for foods that have lower physical density. Fiber is therefore a gut condition, an insulin response retardant, has immune boosting direct effects, and is a bulking agent that also provides a particular type of slow digesting carb, and additional energy source recently shown to have other, more important properties.

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I also encourage folks to add bran (not wheat - rice, barley or oat) for the same reason, but also to help encourage the formation of healthy intestinal microflora .
    I leave fats out of my pre wo shake (Optimimum Nutrition Whey + ground oats + banana) for a quicker gastric emptying. This is because my pwo shake is in ~2.5-3hrs after this meal. I do this so that absorbtion of my pwo shake is not delayed by the previous meal.

Will adding Oat bran to the pre-wo shake have any negative effect to the absorbtion of the pwo shake or are the ground oats adequate?

Rep Points

Ground oats are adequate. Oat Bran is good too but it's not going to make much of a difference.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

..is bulking up!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

ah.. ok .. thx Jodi.

Yuppie

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by drew_c
    Excellent response, thank you.

Can you think of an alternative way of adding EFA's to my shake other than flax? Without compromising the flavor that is...
    You could add natural peanut butter or as Trouble had already suggested, some extra virgin olive oil (it's actually not bad).

Rep Points

How about saving emergy and making that shower around 5-10 minutes instead of 1 hr. and you won't have to freeze the shake.