NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Training for Strength & Hypertrophy

Rep Points

Training for Strength & Hypertrophy

Correct me if i am wrong........when training for strength your rest period should be about 2-4 min per set. when training for hypertrophy your rest periods at 1 min or less. now the question is do you alternate these per workout or do you train one way say for a month and then train the other way? also should a beginner train like this or is it an advanced technique.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by the_general64
    Correct me if i am wrong........when training for strength your rest period should be about 2-4 min per set. when training for hypertrophy your rest periods at 1 min or less. now the question is do you alternate these per workout or do you train one way say for a month and then train the other way? also should a beginner train like this or is it an advanced technique.

If you are training for strength longer rest is best. If you are training for structural increases (hypertrophy) moderate loads and less rest is best.

I don't like to focus on one biometer for a month because the others tend to suffer. You can either do some strength lifting and then some hyerptrophy lifting in the same session. Or balance them out over the week between training sessions.

A begniner needs to focus on using high reps to build tendon strength, learn technique, improve intra and inter muscular coordination and improve joint stability. This phase of training might last for 4 weeks. then they can slowly start to bring the intensity up.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    If you are training for strength longer rest is best. If you are training for structural increases (hypertrophy) moderate loads and less rest is best.

I don't like to focus on one biometer for a month because the others tend to suffer. You can either do some strength lifting and then some hyerptrophy lifting in the same session. Or balance them out over the week between training sessions.

A begniner needs to focus on using high reps to build tendon strength, learn technique, improve intra and inter muscular coordination and improve joint stability. This phase of training might last for 4 weeks. then they can slowly start to bring the intensity up.

What about longer resting periods but rep schemes and volume geared towards hypertrophy....while in a caloric surplus...will this yeild good results in both aspects of training? I just cannot make myself squat or deadlift with only a minute rest or so...It just takes so much out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by B40 View Post
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by PWGriffin
    What about longer resting periods but rep schemes and volume geared towards hypertrophy....while in a caloric surplus...will this yeild good results in both aspects of training? I just cannot make myself squat or deadlift with only a minute rest or so...It just takes so much out of me.

get tougher.

or lower the intensity so that you are working at a proper level.

know your rep maximums.

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

get tougher.

or lower the intensity so that you are working at a proper level.

know your rep maximums.

So right now all I'm doing is getting stronger?? That sux.

Oh and I plan on maxing soon, maybe next month.
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So right now all I'm doing is getting stronger?? That sux.

Oh and I plan on maxing soon, maybe next month.

that is not all you are doing. if you are eating enough you are probably gaining size too. It isn't like you can't gain size by liftiner heavy.

By rep maximums I didn't just mean 1RM though. I would be more interested in knowing things like a 5RM, 8RM, 10RM as you can then set up your training and where you should be around those for different rep ranges. I usually don't test peoples 1RM unless they are a powerlifter or an olympic weightlifter (or some guys that just want to know what their 1RM is). Otherwise we go with a 5RM and a 10RM and if the person is conditioned for it sometimes a 3RM.

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

that is not all you are doing. if you are eating enough you are probably gaining size too. It isn't like you can't gain size by liftiner heavy.

By rep maximums I didn't just mean 1RM though. I would be more interested in knowing things like a 5RM, 8RM, 10RM as you can then set up your training and where you should be around those for different rep ranges. I usually don't test peoples 1RM unless they are a powerlifter or an olympic weightlifter (or some guys that just want to know what their 1RM is). Otherwise we go with a 5RM and a 10RM and if the person is conditioned for it sometimes a 3RM.

Well I am DEFINITELY eating enough....know that. heh.

I may try some shorter resting intervals and really make these workouts intense...I have a training partner right now that slows me down honestly...and he's so RELAXED too. I try to get fuckin crazy when I lift, it's awesome.

2 minutes is too long?? Or just not OPTIMAL>??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just pickin ur brain.
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well I am DEFINITELY eating enough....know that. heh.

I may try some shorter resting intervals and really make these workouts intense...I have a training partner right now that slows me down honestly...and he's so RELAXED too. I try to get fuckin crazy when I lift, it's awesome.

2 minutes is too long?? Or just not OPTIMAL>??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just pickin ur brain.

2min. is the minimum i would go for real intense strength work.

You can get away with pulling off singles on 60sec rest if the intensity is set up properly.

For example....you might take a 5RM and try and pull 10 singles on 60sec rest. Or a 3RM and pull 6 singles. But, you can't expect to do 3 sets x 5 reps with your 5-6 RM on 60sec rest. It might even be a stretch to do 3x5@8RM on 60sec rest. You CNS would pretty much give up on you. It takes about 5min. for total neurological recovery.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

2min. is the minimum i would go for real intense strength work.

You can get away with pulling off singles on 60sec rest if the intensity is set up properly.

For example....you might take a 5RM and try and pull 10 singles on 60sec rest. Or a 3RM and pull 6 singles. But, you can't expect to do 3 sets x 5 reps with your 5-6 RM on 60sec rest. It might even be a stretch to do 3x5@8RM on 60sec rest. You CNS would pretty much give up on you. It takes about 5min. for total neurological recovery.
    No doubt. The other day I tried for 3 sets of 3 on the deadlift. After I deadlift I rest 2 minutes, I did some overhead pressing, then another 2 minute rest before coming back to the deadlift. On the first 2 sets I got 3. On the last set I only pulled a single because neurally I just couldn't pull it off.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    No doubt. The other day I tried for 3 sets of 3 on the deadlift. After I deadlift I rest 2 minutes, I did some overhead pressing, then another 2 minute rest before coming back to the deadlift. On the first 2 sets I got 3. On the last set I only pulled a single because neurally I just couldn't pull it off.

I'm reminded of an episode of "Home Improvement" where George Foreman came on tool time and was asked to put a nail in a staircase (?) or somethin....and he stood there and got pissed off...said he had to get mad at it before he could hit anything.

You should try that next time you deadlift...get pissed off, yell at the weights. Sometimes I pretend to be a Liger, my favorite animal, and growl at the weights, just before I apply my newly honed skill, "the bar crusher" technique...
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yelling and jumping around waist energy.

Sit, breathe, focus, pull.

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yelling and jumping around waist energy.

Sit, breathe, focus, pull.

I was kidding actually, could you REALLY not tell? I get the fact that you're kidding everytime you express affection towards dalemabry.
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I was kidding actually, could you REALLY not tell? I get the fact that you're kidding everytime you express affection towards dalemabry.

sometimes I am kidding when I drop the DaleMabry name just because he is to easy to make fun of. In the case of sprinting I was not though....he is a fast dude!

cat burglar

Rep Points

^ True story. Dale just ran by my window and I live in Canada! Where he was going is anyones guess.

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

They have the internet in canada??
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace