• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Muscle Memory

Interesting read. I'll look into rofling my muscles right away!

So I guess this is the principle behind DCs "extreme stretching".

I too would like some sort of comment by an experienced lifter.

GoPro is a serious advocate of hard stretching post workout, as it increases satellite cell proliferation.

I also stretch every client out after each session.

I stretch after I workout. Although I don't stretch between every set.

Sure, this makes sense. Because of gravity, many exercises feature heavier contractile than tensile forces on muscle fibers. Using stretching to help elongate fibers (THIS IS NOT MUSCLE MEMORY) and, as GP mentions elsewhere, encourage myocyte nuclei (satellite cells waiting to differentiate into specific fiber types once they become incorporated into a fiber - a truely ultracool process) migration to the ends of the fibers. There is some suspicion that fiber splitting also occurs during this stretching period.

Do not stretch in between sets, but do so after high intensity loading of a muscle in isolation.

Rolfing is an interesting notion. Adjunct to chiropractic adjustment, it forces muscle mass into an alignment that facillitates long axon nerve signal propagation from target muscle to brain.

Not such a foolish notion, although it got a lot of bad earplay a decade back when it became faddish.

A more enlightened form of Rolfing:

1. Yoga (power type) routines

2. Tai Chi and Qi Gong (Chi Gung).

This shit works. It improves muscle memory and CNS recovery, plus it help builds muscle strength in accessory groups, a nice benefit beyond flexibility training.

The science behind this notion of extreme stretching is quite cool - when its done correctly.

There is method in the madness: motion sequence is the key.

Rofling eh?

IML Gear Cream!
There is some suspicion that fiber splitting also occurs during this stretching period.

Hyperplasia??

I think it's a sound theory, it's been proven in animals.

Sure, this makes sense. Because of gravity, many exercises feature heavier contractile than tensile forces on muscle fibers. Using stretching to help elongate fibers (THIS IS NOT MUSCLE MEMORY) and, as GP mentions elsewhere, encourage myocyte nuclei (satellite cells waiting to differentiate into specific fiber types once they become incorporated into a fiber - a truely ultracool process) migration to the ends of the fibers. There is some suspicion that fiber splitting also occurs during this stretching period.

Do not stretch in between sets, but do so after high intensity loading of a muscle in isolation.

Rolfing is an interesting notion. Adjunct to chiropractic adjustment, it forces muscle mass into an alignment that facillitates long axon nerve signal propagation from target muscle to brain.

Not such a foolish notion, although it got a lot of bad earplay a decade back when it became faddish.

A more enlightened form of Rolfing:

1. Yoga (power type) routines

2. Tai Chi and Qi Gong (Chi Gung).

This shit works. It improves muscle memory and CNS recovery, plus it help builds muscle strength in accessory groups, a nice benefit beyond flexibility training.

The science behind this notion of extreme stretching is quite cool - when its done correctly.

There is method in the madness: motion sequence is the key.

Why wouldn't I stetch inbetween sets and then do a hard stretch afterwards?

Why wouldn't I stetch inbetween sets and then do a hard stretch afterwards?

Stretching reduces power output. However, you can use stretching to decrease co-contraction of antagonist muscle groups and use it to your advantage. For example, during a deadlift the primary articulation is hip extension. If you stretch your hip flexors before sets of deadlifts then you will relax the muscles involved in doing the opposite of what you want to achieve, which is a good things.

Generally, I have my clients stretch out their hip flexors and TFL/IT band early on in the workouts (Some of it because of time constraints) because the average person has tight and overactive hip flexors (The TFL is a hip flexor, by the way).

TFL....I know what that is!!! And where it's at!! I'm excited....tensor fasciae latae right??

Sorry, I've been studying and it's good to know some of this sticking!!

I'm aware you don't streth in between sets, but how about in between exercices? Or do you just leave until you are done with the muscle group entirely?

Looking at it again, I've done the same thing. I just didn't know the name. I started out just stretching a bit after workout. Later on I started stretching really hard between sets. After about two months I stopped doing that because it consumed too much time and it was boring. For a while, I just stretched inbetween exercises. About a month ago, I dropped that too and that's where I'm now. I stretch after every workout, but only after a workout.

Now knowing about this 'muscle memory' thing and all, I didn't stretch to the extreme and I didn't go for a maximum pump. However, I always stretched (and still stretch) vigorously, using several stretches and holding them for half a minute.

But, to be honoust, I can't say I've noticed anything whatsoever from this stretching except time consuming and demotivation. Stretching after every set, or every exercise, is just not fun and it takes a lot of time all together.

TFL....I know what that is!!! And where it's at!! I'm excited....tensor fasciae latae right??

Sorry, I've been studying and it's good to know some of this sticking!!

You got it. Do you know the primary hip articulations it is involved in too?

You got it. Do you know the primary hip articulations it is involved in too?

......:hmmm:

I'm looking at an anatomical chart (and it's a bad picture), so I really don't know. But it looks to be on the outer side of the leg, tying into the gluteus maximus (?) So it might be responsible for some abduction, or hip extension??

IML Gear Cream!
......:hmmm:

I'm looking at an anatomical chart (and it's a bad picture), so I really don't know. But it looks to be on the outer side of the leg, tying into the gluteus maximus (?) So it might be responsible for some abduction, or hip extension??

Hip flexion and internal rotation are the biggies. I do believe it is involved in abduction a little bit too. In most people, probably more than it should be.

hip flexion
hip abduction
and internal rotation

hip flexion
hip abduction
and internal rotation

Ok, I know hip extension/flexion, and adduction/abduction....but could you please describe briefly internal and external rotation of the hip...maybe with an exercise for each??

Ok, I know hip extension/flexion, and adduction/abduction....but could you please describe briefly internal and external rotation of the hip...maybe with an exercise for each??

Internal rotation is twisting your knee in so that it points toward your other leg. External rotation is twisting your knee so that it points away from you.

lift your right leg off the ground, keep it straight, turn your leg so that your toes points in....internal rotation.....turn your toe so that it points out....external rotation.

I posted this a while ago but unfortunately no one saw it and since i'm not a self promoter i let it drop. now that your asking it may come of use to you

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=68434

This is the menu, unfortunately they group muscles not actions, but pick a muscle like the glute mid or w/e and see the actions, the animations show clearly what each term means. also note that internal/external rotation are synonymous with medial/lateral rotation respectively.

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

cool. book marked that shit.

how you doin' yan?

good good, just a little too much partying toward the end of the summer (can't help myself, its my immaturity and belief that i HAVE to party now cause i won't be doing it for too much longer). can't fuckin wait for school to start i'm sick of sitting home during the week.

back is feeling great and i'm actually getting back up there in weight...last week i deadlifted 245 for ten sets of three, very very easily and squatted 245 for 3 sets of 6 easily (strength wise its easy, conditioning wise not at all).

Very interesting read... I'll try it.

Back