Cutting by dropping 1000 calories per day, healthy ?

Rep Points

Cutting by dropping 1000 calories per day, healthy ?

Hey guys i was just reading that there is 3500 calories in a pound of stored fat is that correct?

Now if i was to cut 1000 calories from my diet a day would i be fine do you think ?
    That means 7000 a week which means i would lose 2 pounds per week and still eating 2500 calories p/d.

Now i know i shouldnt worry about figures like this and such but i do wanto see if this can work to its full extent with a clean diet and still do my muay thai twice a week and weight 3 times per week.

My goal is to lose 20 pounds in 3 months to get to my desired bodyweight to clean bulk from at 12%.
    Im currently at 20%bf 5'10 176 pounds. So it works out i can lose that fat in roughly 3 months from now just from my diet.
    Then on top of that muay thai 2-3 times per week and the gym twice a week so with that in consideration does that work out to be safe as i will be building muscle but performing cardio with a balanced diet.

Sorry if that sounds a tad confusing.
    Thanks.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You'll lose alot of LBM cutting your cals so much.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Rep Points

well going by alot of posts / articles that 2lbs per week is fine to lose anything over that and the risk of lbm becomes high.
    Remember i will be doing moderate intensity cardio (muay thai) for an hour twice a week and weight train 3x a week, so i will be building muscle aswell as losing fat.

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by projectaero View Post
    well going by alot of posts / articles that 2lbs per week is fine to lose anything over that and the risk of lbm becomes high.
    Remember i will be doing moderate intensity cardio (muay thai) for an hour twice a week and weight train 3x a week, so i will be building muscle aswell as losing fat.
    Can you cite those posts? Losing 2 lbs a week is alot to most people. Unless you are obese, which you aren't, it probably isn't healthy.

I don't really see you putting on any muscle with that low of cals, highly unlikey IMO.

Because:
    1000 cals cutting each day is alot
    you're doing cardio twice a week
    weight training 3 times

By looking at that you will most definitely lose muscle mass IMO.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cutting is obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Rep Points

now i know this may sound like i am ignoring you guys (which i aint) but i was trying to figure it out before.

If i drop 7000 calories a week i will lose 2lbs per week with no activity correct?

If i work out 5x a week (gym and muay thai) i am burning alot of calories, so is that where the problem lies with losing muscle aswell...

So say i drop 5250 calories a week (1.5lbs per week) and do muay thai and Bodybuild that should equate to 2lbs per week roughly ? Is that right ?

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by projectaero View Post
    now i know this may sound like i am ignoring you guys (which i aint) but i was trying to figure it out before.

If i drop 7000 calories a week i will lose 2lbs per week with no activity correct?

Probably

If i work out 5x a week (gym and muay thai) i am burning alot of calories, so is that where the problem lies with losing muscle aswell...

It just isn't the activity that will govern whether you lose muscle or not, diet is where it's at.

So say i drop 5250 calories a week (1.5lbs per week) and do muay thai and Bodybuild that should equate to 2lbs per week roughly ? Is that right ?

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from, maybe.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Rep Points

the figures came from:
    7000 calories deficit = 2lbs lost.
    so if i drop that to 5250 (1.5lbs x week) and burning 345 calories per workout so that totals to 1725 burned a week add that to the 5250 in my diet that works out close to 7000 calories a week.
    does that make sense ?

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Sure it makes sense. On paper.

Everyone is different and it looks as though you very well COULD lose LBM. Its a short period yes, but its still going to have some drawbacks such as losing muscle mass at the same time as bodyfat.

Doing the math and coming up with a program is one thing, actually trying it out and suffer through trial and error's demise is another. I am going through a cut and it sucks. Its working but only cuz I didnt give myself a time limit. In other words, what I put together on paper didnt work. Back to the drawing board.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You are assuming that your current diet is right at maintenance. It's not how many cals you cut, but how many cals you cut below maintenance.

Losing 1% of your total body weight a week is where you want to be...so if you currently weighed 200 pounds or more, then 2lbs a week wouldn't be too much. But at 176, 2lbs a week might be a little much, even at a higher BF%. But even at 1% of your total body weight you will still lose some muscle...Depending on HOW you cut those calories out. A properly planned/adhered to/well balanced diet will of course net you the greatest loss in fat while retaining as much LBM as possible.

When I cut the first thing I do is just make healthier eating choices and maybe cut the portions back a lil bit. Keep the meal frequency high, and add in cardio if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by B40 View Post
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think it depends 100% on genetics and you can't make up mathmatical equations to judge how much weight someone can lose based on bodyweight and bodyfat.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Rep Points

Your metabolism would freak on you and you'd have to drop your calories even further not long after you started this stupid idea.
    Let's all join together and SPEAK ENGLISH IN AMERICA.

Rep Points

Gentics, Metabolism, general health, your diet and how much you workout. There is no forumla to figure if this would work for you.

IMO, you are going to kill your metabolism if you cut it too low. Then as your metabolsim suffers so does your thyroid and then you are in starvation mode and you become catabolic and your body saves every ounce it gets for energy. So, ahhh...I guess I'm saying, no. Dumb Idea IMO.

You would be better off finding your maintenance, then cut back 200 cals from your diet and add cardio to create a deeper deficit. Then modify. Don't lose more than 2lbs per week or you are sacraficing LBM.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

hey guys thanks for all the great responses,
    I checked on bb.com to see how many calories i burn for kickboxing and weights it works out to be a total of 2276 per week so if i cut 500 calories a day from my diet it means it would mean i lose 1.6lbs from eating healthy and doing cardiovascular training. compared to 3lbs a week if i ate at 1000. So do you guys think that is a better approach for me to do.
    Cheers

Rep Points

I think 500 cals per day is too much to start a cut. You are sacraficing your metabolism. You should start at 200 and then deduct a little every week to reach 2lbs per week. Your metabolism and thyroid is really not something to fuck with. Be smart and do it the right way.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.