• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Weights as Cardio?

nsimmons

All pug, all the time.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Looking for new ideas for cardio. Running and even biking is hard on my knee, and i cant get as many sessions in as i'd like. Ive read some articles about hi rep low weight intense sessions, mainly with legs, as options.

Ive ran the idea across my father, who owned a golds for 15 years or so in the 70's/80's and has competed. He's extremley knowledgeably, but is old school squat till you puke and drink some milk mentality.

He's suggested repping out squats in a 20-30rep set for 5 sets or so as a cardio session. Mixing up with deadlifts or cleans in the same fashion, next time around. Ive read a few articles which suggest similar plans. A sort of variation of hiit?

Suggestions, criticisms?

I workout at home so 'use the elliptical' is not an option.

Last edited:
Circuit training?

Circuit training?

Fuck yeah.

Or cut the Rest Intervals down.

I was doing 2-3min RIs for years. I have started doing shorter RIs down to 30sec and I gotta tell you, on my 3rd set of WHATEVER, I am panting. I get more cardio it feels on days that I do shorter RIs than doing 30min of treadmill, cycle, OR eliptical.

Shit, today I (tried) did 4x10 of Bodyweighted Neutral Grip Pullups. I fucking failed on my 8th rep on my 4th set. I was so out of breath. Might not seem like much, but I can do weighted pullups with over 45lbs dangling under me WITH decent rest, but 30sec? Fucking forget about it. :suicide:

I workout at home so 'use the elliptical' is not an option.

Buy an eliptical?

Squats don't bother the knees at all but biking does?? Strange. I mean, what part of biking hurts the knee? There's no impact like running.

Training circuit style might be a viable option for you, throw in some calisthenics somewhere and there you go....

Just read my own post and thought (!)

If you want to do extra stuff instead of just doing circuit training....have you considered sports?? Playing something you like? Also, stuff like boxing is great....just hitting a bag for a minute or two balls out takes my breath away.

If your knees hurt when you bike then they will hurt when you lift too. What's wrong with your knees? Do all your joints hurt or is it just your knees.
2 years ago I cut out the dairy and wheat from my diet and my aches and pains took a hike. I got a 'vega' test done. I took the perscribed homepathics and they worked. I had high levels of lead and a few other problems (I used to work as a stained glass artist). I'm not saying this is your problem, I am just saying that diet is always a great place to start.
http://www.naturaltherapycenter.com/vega_allergy_testing/

No actually squats dont bother the knee, i have a torn acl so sports require a major tape job before i'll attempt it. It doesnt hurt so much during biking, but 2-3 days a week is all it can take without swelling a little. Then it does affect squats.

Good suggestions so far...

circuits are awesome.

i've done stuff like 3 cleans followed by 8 fronts squats into 3 overhead presses rest 1 min and go again. its a killer.

you can just make a bunch of stuff up and go through it for example, all done with 10 reps (and doesn't really need to be heavy, we're talking conditioning not strength/power)

shrug, bent over row, front squat, GM, overhead press, push ups, jumping jacks rest repeat.

i do stuff like that and make it up on the fly, just make sure transitioning from one exercise to another isn't too hard.

Yeah, throw in some olymic lifting. cleans, snatches, front squats.
I like 20 rep squats once in a while too. That'll get your mojo going.
There are so many things you can do; it depends what you are after. If it's general conditioning then circuits are great. As mentioned above.

i think that hitting a heavy bag is one of the better cardio workouts you can get without putting too much strain on your legs
try punching for 3x3 minute rounds with a minute rest in between each and i gurantee you will be out of breath
you can also do punching pyramids where you do 5 jabs, 5 crosses, 10/2 punch combos, 10/3 punch combos.... up to say 5 punch combos then take a minute rest and work your way back down

thats all kinds of fun

IML Gear Cream!
i think that hitting a heavy bag is one of the better cardio workouts you can get without putting too much strain on your legs
try punching for 3x3 minute rounds with a minute rest in between each and i gurantee you will be out of breath
you can also do punching pyramids where you do 5 jabs, 5 crosses, 10/2 punch combos, 10/3 punch combos.... up to say 5 punch combos then take a minute rest and work your way back down

thats all kinds of fun

Was also going to suggest the heavybag. I grabbed a nice heavy/speed bag stand (7.5 ft tall/ 100lb bag) and it's a great workout if you pace yourself properly. You can work a pretty diverse set of muscles as well and sweat like you were running. Just be sure you look into proper hand wraps and all that good stuff

You could also mix it up: heavy bag work for one round mixed with lunges, step-ups. I would suggest rope work but if you are not light on your feet it can be hard on your joints.

What do you mean? He's training for explosiveness and endurance, not size.

Half rep military presses, 1/4 rep lunges, half rep squats, rounding his back/looking down on SL deads. And were those supposed to be good mornings with the very close stance?

If he is training for explosiveness, that isn't a very good example of it IMO.

Half rep military presses, 1/4 rep lunges, half rep squats, rounding his back/looking down on SL deads. And were those supposed to be good mornings with the very close stance?

I agree 110%

Definitely a weird stance on the good mornings...I've seen weirder shit though.

Just statred doing cardio about to weeks ago. but i just don't know what to eat after or how much ?

That's pure conditioning stuff. Really, I didn't think his military pressing looked that bad though. He could've gone a bit lower, but I think half military presses are exagerrating. The split squats were a joke though. He didn't break parallel on the squats either. The good mornings were ridiculous though. WTF was that shit? I don't think he knew whether he was doing good mornings or squats.

To the original poster, check out my journal for some circuit training ideas. That is the kind of training I use for conditioning work primarily.

You could give clean cardio a shot.

Thanks, i gave this a shot tonight using clean and press

Descending Sets Routine:
1 set 15 reps (warm-up with bar)
2 sets 15 reps
2 sets 12 reps
2 sets 10 reps
2 sets 8 reps
2 sets 6 reps
2 sets 5 reps
2 sets 4 reps

Used my hr monitor to keep in the aerobic zone which resulted in RI's of 30-60seconds. Major ass kicker. Took 30 minutes to complete and i was drenched. Im going to alternate different compound lifts in and use this template.
Im never running again.

Back