Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Post Shake After Hour Long Cardio ?

Rep Points

Post Shake After Hour Long Cardio ?

Hey guys, Currently i am writing up a diet plan for myself and i am just curious as to do you take a post cardio shake (i do muay thai kickboxing for an hour twice a week)
    So would this be like any weight training day with pre / post meals for cardio ?
    Cheers

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yes.

Rep Points

if i work out in the morning, i just go without anything. but if its later in the day I sually have soemthing before i go.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Poor decision.

You are working out in a fasted state. Get up a little earlier and have some kind of meal.

Tom_B

Rep Points

You usually want a solid meal about 30 minutes - 1 hour after your cardio session.
    Just apply some basic principles
    ~ Higher intensity eat something sooner
    ~ I fyou haven't ate in a while, eat sooner
    ~ If your lookign for fat loss eat later (taking advantange of EPOC)
    ~ If your looking for performance then eat sooner
    ~ willing to lose some lean mass, eat later
    etc.

Carb levels can vary. Once again if it was really intense/ looking for performance higher carbs, looking for fat loss/willing to spare loss of LBM less carbs etc.
    The important thing about this meal is to not have any fats. You want your body burning fats that your body tissue has released, not incoming fats.
    Your next meal after this can be anywhere from 2 - 3 hours afterwards (try not to go over 3 hours .. take advantage of the nutrtion partioning effect the cardio has) making this meal just any regualr meal (fats/carbs/protein)

oh and like Iain said, eat something before your workout!

In Training

Rep Points

Nice tips tom.. Just to be clear, would you avoid adding any EFA's to your first meal post-cardio then? Or just other, not so good fats?
    "Knowing is not enough we must apply." --- "Willing is not enough we must do."

-B.L.

Tom_B

Rep Points

Not 100% sure. all those tips were recieted from memory that Emma-Leigh gave me some months ago when I asked the same question.
    She didn't tell me exactly why, just saying that you want your body to use fats that it's released and not incoming fats.
    So my guess is that since fats are broken down in the body to produce gylcerol (and fatty acids) which is then converted to glucose by the liver and used for energy, if you were to give your body outside sources of fat so close to your workouts, your body would have no need to break down stored Apidose Tissue, and could just use the incoming fats to complete these functions.
    That's my guess anyways .. could someone correct me if I'm wrong? Or maybe shed some more light onto this topic?

is still around...

Rep Points

The thing about incoming fats is that they won't be used for energy for a few hours anyway, so your body will be running off of it's available energy sources. The body takes at least a few hours to process the ingested fat before it is available for energy right away. The main problem with ingesting fats post work out is that it will slow down digestion and absorption of that pwo meal, and thus the amino acids and the carbs/glucose will take longer to reach the muscles needing repair.

I don't know/remember if breaking down the ingested fat is faster or slower than breaking down adipose tissue, however, if you just exercised there are FFA's around, waiting to be oxidized anyway, so you will be burning stored fat right after your workout anyway, in combination with some of the broken down carbs you just ate PWO, though most of it, ideally is going toward repair and refueling.

If I'M wrong or provided incomplete info, someone else can bust in on this and add/correct what I just said.