Divine Nutrition

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

STRoke how to recognize one

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

STRoke how to recognize one

Copy/paste from an email I got from coworker:

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters...S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously.. Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
    It only takes a minute to read this...
    A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!
    Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
    Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
    T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
    (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)
    R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

Yea, my dad had a stroke last summer he was on ground puking in bathroom he just said he was sick and to let him alone and he would get over it. I asked him if he wanted me to call ambulance he said hes not paying for it. Then I got my mom to come home and apparently he had a stroke they had to fly him from riddle hospital in PA to jefferson in PA. He was in hospital for a month with a 10% chance to live and he is fine now and lifting again. His bloodpressure was like 190/150 .

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cardiovascular Accident (CVA) is another name for stroke.

Good post!

Symptoms of a CVA this web page and this one.

Thanks, ML!

cat burglar

Rep Points

What about some info on heart attacks. I always get the two mixed up. (stroke/ heart attack). My dad has had two heart attacks the first one was when he was 36 (he was doing concrete work at his house at the time). He had another one a few years later (when he cut his leg with a chain saw on my grandparents farm) the guy must have nine lives I swear. I worry about getting a heart attack because I have had chest pain while riding (really hard riding) that did not go away and I could only breathe shallow breaths. I was alone at the time so I just stopped on he side of the road and tried to sip some water. I was really scared but I thought shit, this can not be happening to me I have exercised and kept fit my whole life. The only thing that I have going against me is that I am always stressed out (which is why I do tai chi and yoga almost everyday). I'm 35 years old which is almost the same age as my dad was when he got his first heart attack. Funny thing is my mom is very athletic and so was her dad (my sister's too- all talented runners) so I always thought genetically I would be ok.
    No strength within, no respect without - Kasmiri Proverb

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerboy View Post
    What about some info on heart attacks. I always get the two mixed up. (stroke/ heart attack). My dad has had two heart attacks the first one was when he was 36 (he was doing concrete work at his house at the time). He had another one a few years later (when he cut his leg with a chain saw on my grandparents farm) the guy must have nine lives I swear. I worry about getting a heart attack because I have had chest pain while riding (really hard riding) that did not go away and I could only breathe shallow breaths. I was alone at the time so I just stopped on he side of the road and tried to sip some water. I was really scared but I thought shit, this can not be happening to me I have exercised and kept fit my whole life. The only thing that I have going against me is that I am always stressed out (which is why I do tai chi and yoga almost everyday). I'm 35 years old which is almost the same age as my dad was when he got his first heart attack. Funny thing is my mom is very athletic and so was her dad (my sister's too- all talented runners) so I always thought genetically I would be ok.
    Do you check your blood pressure and have a lipid panel done regularly?

cat burglar

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    Do you check your blood pressure and have a lipid panel done regularly?
    No. I have not been to a doctor in many years (15 +). I guess it wouldn't kill me to get a checkup.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Signs of a heart attack, including a description of what it might feel like:

http://www.heartinfo.org/hrtatkang.html

BB, as you describe your father's heart attacks, and your own angina episode, I would encourage you to see a physician for a physical, stressing your family history and recent chest pain.

cat burglar

Rep Points

Thanks boilermaker/ Trouble.

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Bake, you can also find a blood pressure machine at just about any store that has a pharmacy. It will at least give you a benchmark.

cat burglar

Rep Points

^ Yeah, I have tried out one of those before but it was a long time ago. Just to ease my mind I might go check that tonight. Thanks for that idea, Boilermaker. I mean in general I feel really healthy, but that time on my bike got me a bit scared.