Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Easily digestible proteins

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Easily digestible proteins

I am doing a 24 hour mountain bike race next weekend and I need to bring some protein sources that are gentle on the digestive system. The races tend to wreak havoc on my innards, so I need to eat protein that is gentler on the stomach. Any suggestions?

There are like 17 diet mods here, so I am expecting good feedback from them.

Pinguo!!

Rep Points

**cricketts... cricketts**

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Live crickets or freeze dried?

Rep Points

Whey and egg whites are the fastest and easiest digestable proteins.

Are you looking for quick absorption or just easy on the belly?

Are you lactose intolerant?

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

24 hour bike race huh, can you stop to go to the toilet??
    Male, 38 years old, 5ft 11", 187lbs
    Goals; 10k sub 46mins 10 mile sub 77 mins
    half marathon sub 120 mins

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Whey and egg whites are the fastest and easiest digestable proteins.

Are you looking for quick absorption or just easy on the belly?

Are you lactose intolerant?
    Thanks. Egg whites aren't really an option since I'll be camping out all weekend. I do have whey on my "to bring" list.

I'm more concerned about the protein being easy on my stomach.

I am indeed lactose intolerant, which sucks because I love Fruit Loops.

is still around...

Rep Points

You can take some packets or containers of Amino Vital (either/or: liquid or powder). Are you going to be eating the protein while riding? or while camping, pre/post ride?

If you're riding, you're better off taking in primarily carbohydrates, with SOME protein (amino vital is the better choice). If you're taking the protein while camping, then maybe consider taking some POWDERED egg whites (won't spoil, and there are no eggs to crack), or some unopened cartons of Papetti's Egg Whites or Egg Beaters Egg whites...

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GoalGetter View Post
    You can take some packets or containers of Amino Vital (either/or: liquid or powder). Are you going to be eating the protein while riding? or while camping, pre/post ride?

If you're riding, you're better off taking in primarily carbohydrates, with SOME protein (amino vital is the better choice). If you're taking the protein while camping, then maybe consider taking some POWDERED egg whites (won't spoil, and there are no eggs to crack), or some unopened cartons of Papetti's Egg Whites or Egg Beaters Egg whites...
    I'll only be drinking water and an electrolyte drink during the race. The protein will be pre and post-ride. It's a team race, so I won't be riding the entire time. I need to eat during my rest periods.

Stealth Moderator
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post
    Thanks. Egg whites aren't really an option since I'll be camping out all weekend. I do have whey on my "to bring" list.
    yeah, but it's not going to be very hot and we have coolers! And you said Doug was bringing a stove!

Rep Points

I'm more concerned about the protein being easy on my stomach.

I am indeed lactose intolerant, which sucks because I love Fruit Loops.
    Gotcha! Go get some Pea Protein then. There is a brand for now called Pure Advantage, they sell a protein made from yellow peas. It's a complete protein too with all essential amino acids. It's easy on the stomach, contains no dairy, no artifical crap in it. Don't get the vanilla though, trust me lol. I'm can't drink whey anymore due to allergies and stomach problems and Pea protein is allergen free and so by far the easiest protein on your stomach.

You may want to reconsider whey if you are lactose intolerant. Most whey still contain some lactose.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

is still around...

Rep Points

I'll only be drinking water and an electrolyte drink during the race. The protein will be pre and post-ride. It's a team race, so I won't be riding the entire time. I need to eat during my rest periods.
    Even so - during the ride, you can get some carbs in your water/electrolyte drink.

Jodi's pea protein (pre/post meals) is a great idea. i keep forgetting that stuff exists even though she talks to me abotu it all the time! hahaha!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

How does pea protein taste. Forgive me but it sounds absolutely revolting.

Rep Points

At first its an aquired taste because you don't know what to expect, but it's pretty good with the right flavoring. Don't get vanilla lol.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Pea protein, eh? I'll check it out. I don't care how bad it may taste. I NEED to get some protein into my system without getting sick.

FYI, here is the electrolyte replenishment I'm using: http://www.eletewater.com/

Stealth Moderator
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    At first its an aquired taste because you don't know what to expect, but it's pretty good with the right flavoring. Don't get vanilla lol.

any particular brands or recipes you recommend?

Rep Points

Pure Advantage is the most cost efficient and best flavored one I've found so far. Get the wild berry and throw it in a blender with a banana, strawberries etc. Add some splenda or stevia to that too. You need the additional fruit for this one

http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...ew-flavors.htm

You could always get the choc-mint one but I have no clue what it tastes like.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I picked up a container of this yesterday at The Vitamin Shoppe. It was only $10.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-1489

What do you think? It's vegetable protein, but pea protein is the #1 ingredient.

It looks like the Vegan Essentials stuff is only available online. I was hoping to buy some at a retail store.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Topic: endurance mountain biking - what to eat on a ride.

I also use vegetable protein, also rice bran protein and a small amount of oil and bran for shakes during long rides (but I haven't ridden one of these endurance rides yet). I suggest you read up on making energy bars, make up a pan or two, consider sharing them with your team. Energy gels during the ride itself are essential, and you can use small sandwiches as well to keep you fueled between circuit legs that you ride.

I did a google, using the key words above. Heres a few good hits I found:

Bicycle Source: Cycling Nutrition Section

http://www.bicyclesource.com/body/nutrition/

http://bicycling.about.com/ (see section with a chart, how much, how to eat for endurance mountain biking)

Energy gels for biking: http://www.carbboom.com/education/cycling.php

High volume Sporting Goods stores and speciality stores like REI carry these energy gels, so do many biking gear shops.

I would also page through articles at bicycle.com on race prefeeding and recovery (the important bits).

Good luck, I Are Baboon. Sounds like fun! Hope the weather is nice.

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks for the information, Trouble. The product I linked actually has rice protein and rice bran in the ingredients, so I'm thinking that might be good.

I've eaten more energy gels and bars than I care to admit.

Rep Points

Yeah it's good. I prefer the pea protein over the rice because the pea has a better amino acid profile than the rice. This is good though the pea and the rice Have you tried it yet? The one I linked I've actually never bought online, I buy in the local health food store.

I read about those gels and I wish I could find the article but it made me stay far far far away from them.

Anti-mediocrity
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

"All powders pea protein tastes quite bad and doesn't mix too well, leaving a kind of grainy texture to the protein. However combined pea protein with whey protein and you get quite a good overall mix of amino acids and an almost time released formula. The whey proteins entering the blood stream very fast, while the pea proteins are absorbed much slower. Pea protein is relatively cheap and is added to a few formulas to increase the protein content while keeping costs quite low. Relatively speaking however these pea protein combined with ion exchanged whey protein style formulas have a good amino acid profile, low glycemic index, virtually lactose and fat free making them excellent choices for pre contest body building diets."

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/s...peaisolate.asp

Rice bran protein is high in lysine, but low in isoleucine and threonine. I always mix mine with both vegetable protein and whey protein blend. Stabilized rice bran protein is highly digestable, with a rating of 79-82.

I found both vegetable and soy protein to taste bland and floury. I can't use them alone, which is why I mix them with whey blends or isolates.

I can't use the energy gels because I have reactive hypoglycemia. Energy gels are simple glucose, water and electrolyte formulations. You're probably correct in staying away from their use, Jodi. You would probably have the same problem with a blood sugar crash due to poor insulin action to correct blood sugar dip following plasma blood sugar peak and return towards baseline conditions. In reactive hypoglycemia, the body undercorrects blood sugar following post-parandial spike. By keeping the spike quite low, you avoid under-correction and low blood sugar effects on heart rate, blood pressure and oxgyenation rates.

Rep Points

IAB - How did the pea and rice protein work out for you?