Divine Nutrition

Insulin

Thread: Insulin

Rep Points

Post Insulin

Is insulin essential for muscle growth? In other words, is it an anabolic hormone?

Stealth Moderator
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

HI.

I have no idea the answer to your question but I see that you are new and I wanted to welcome you and let you know that I'm sure the reason no one has responded is that no one knows!! I think you'll find everyone helpful - so don't give up on us!

[c'mon guys!! anyone know?]

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Arrow

Insulin, a polypeptide hormone dissected from the pancreas, is substantially responsible for the uptake of glucose into the cells for its metabolization.The hormone stimulates the synthesis of glycogen, lipids, and proteins and stimulates the transport of potassium and magnesium into the cell.

------------------
    got muscle?

Rep Points

It can be argued that Insulin, not testosterone, is the most anabolic hormone in the body.

------------------
    -Crowman
    MASS ABOVE ALL

Rep Points

Red face

Crowman, you are making a pretty bold statement. Can you please explain?

Great American Nightmare

Rep Points

So what do you think of Vanadyle Sulfate (spelling ?), Ive heard alot about this and insulin.

Rep Points

its an insulin mimicker
    i use it and i had some good results with it
    take it about half hour before you going training and it give you a great pump

sammy

Rep Points

when are the best times to inject insulin? im already taking it and take it pre work then post work out both times with creatine and amino acids...

Rep Points

Originally posted by samat631
    when are the best times to inject insulin? im already taking it and take it pre work then post work out both times with creatine and amino acids...

Sounds like a Hypo case waiting to happen.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by samat631

You stated on anoher thread that you were a type 1 diabetic and that makes you more knowledgeable than most who aren't diabetics...... but the answer to your question is very complex and depends on what basal insulin you are on.

For instance, are you on an insulin pump and if yes, what basal insulin are you using? Or are you on a true 24 hours Lantus insulin with humulog before each meal based on carbohydrate exchanges, are you on Novolin 70/30 twice a day, lente, NPH? Do you use regular insulin or humulog insulin as needed? Are you talking about injecting regular insulin which has a different time for maximum onset of action vs. Humulog (I prefer the latter for athletes) ? Thus, this is something you may want to address with your doctor or at least one that is well versed in diabetes and the special needs of athletes such as yourself.
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power

sammy

Rep Points

haha i guess your right...thnx anyways

Monochromatic Bunny

Rep Points

I read in a post called Diet program by Hugo Rivera :

"Ideally, these meals are morning meals as during the morning our bodies have a higher insulin sensitivity (the ability of the cells to allow insulin deliver the intended nutrients) due to the overnight fast. A high insulin sensitivity is desirable in order to ensure the carbs get used for either energy production or for glycogen storage inside the muscle as opposed to having them being stored as body fat. "

If I use something to raise may insulin level. Will it help to keep my "insulin sensivity" always high ?

addicted to the crack

Rep Points

Isulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body becasue it mediates uptake of nutrients into the cells (very simple answer...it is much much more complex)

the problem with insulin is that it is not very androgenic so its anabolic properties are not just associated with muscle...it builds fat too!

many pro bodybuilders take insulin because it allows them to take in greater than normal amounts of food and actually have it utilized for muscle growth...they stay lean by combining insulin with growth hormone and some type of test (usually winstrol)

insulin by itself will make you bigger...butmuch of the weight you gain will be fat....not to mention that if you dont know what you are doing you could DIE WITHIN MINUTES of injecting insulin (it drops your blood sugar rapidly assuming you are taking the fast acting type and you can go in to a coma and die)

stay away from insulin unless you are diabetic...or want to be a pro bodybuilder and have no regard for your health,body,and life.
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us.

sammy

Rep Points

i believe insulin has made me mcuh bigger than i would be....

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Originally posted by DrChiro

....not to mention that if you dont know what you are doing you could DIE WITHIN MINUTES of injecting insulin (it drops your blood sugar rapidly assuming you are taking the fast acting type and you can go in to a coma and die)

stay away from insulin unless you are diabetic...or want to be a pro bodybuilder and have no regard for your health,body,and life.
    The first statement I completely agree with and I'm glad you brought up. Insulin and BB can be very dangerous.
    The second statement I don't agree with. Sure there are many of BB's who fall into this catagory, but not all pro bb's take it and most do care about health.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.