NapsGear.net

          Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter


Constantly training at high intensity

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Light weight!
    StanUk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away
    Posts
    705
    Rep Points
    1114910

    Constantly training at high intensity






    Hey all,

    I've decided to reconsider my intensity that I train at, it would seem im perhaps overdoing it again. I work out four days a week:

    Sun: Back/legs/biceps
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: Chest/triceps/abs
    Wed: Legs/back
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Shoulders, chest, calves
    Sat: Rest

    My routine has suited me great, but it would seem im training too intense too often. I usually keep my reps within the 10 range, I start off with a warmup and then do a very heavy first set, around 90% of my 1rm, for around 6/7 reps, this first set is the killer and i usually struggle on the last rep if not fail. My following two or three sets are usually within the 8-12 range, also high intensity and struggling on the last rep. My diet is good and I get quite a bit of rest, but i cant help thinking of overdoing it and lifting heavy too often.

    Ive searched the forums but unable to find a good example of how often i should be lifting very heavy.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    fuck, i lift till failure on every set. my reps were 8,6,4(pyrimid style) and when i could do 8 i coulda done 10 and when i coulda done 6 i coulda done 8. well u get it eh?. now my reps are 3-5 till failure or almost. i train heavy every workout.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    SAMIAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48
    Rep Points
    10

    I'm a "noobie" so to speak at the hypertrophy game, but I powerlifted for many years and have been doing my best to "educate " myself on B.B. principles- I think that you obviously enjoy the challenge of the heaviness of a 6-7 rep to failure set (as do I), but may be better off easing the weight down to where you're able to do two sets of 8 reps where the first set is around 2 reps from failure and the second is done emphasizing the negative so you fail right around 8.This would cut the volume considerably while maintaining the "high intensity" part that you seem to indicate you enjoy and thrive on.You didn't specify the warm up set weight but for this idea it would be best to use 50%(roughly) of the working set weight just to get the joints, and blood going...If I'm wrong I'm sure some one more experienced at the BB side of things will happily correct me!

  4. #4
    Light weight!
    StanUk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away
    Posts
    705
    Rep Points
    1114910

    Thanks very much for the feedback guys.

    See I train like you Kenwood, but I cant help feeling that because of it, it weakens my immune system and makes me prone to illness, a few months back i had a job that involved getting up and different times every day, it was horrible and meant my sleeping pattern was totally screwed, i must have been ill 3 times in the space of 6 months. My new job has my sitting at a desk most the day and i have a good sleeping pattern so ive made some great progress, there is something going around atm (a stomach bug) so perhaps im just being paranoid but i just dont wanna overtrain and hinder my progress.

    SAMIAM: thankyou for your input, your logic makes a lot of sense to me, I do enjoy the challenge as you say, I think my problem is that I always want to be improving my lifts, when in practice this isnt possible! thats why every week on my bench i want to get at least one more rep, or pile on a few more pounds. My warm up set is usually around 50% and it seems to get me warmed up fine. I think following your advice and cutting back the intensity is probably my best option.

    Thanx again

  5. #5
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
    fuck, i lift till failure on every set.
    because your an idiot

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    Quote Originally Posted by StanUk View Post
    Hey all,

    I've decided to reconsider my intensity that I train at, it would seem im perhaps overdoing it again. I work out four days a week:

    Sun: Back/legs/biceps
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: Chest/triceps/abs
    Wed: Legs/back
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Shoulders, chest, calves
    Sat: Rest

    My routine has suited me great, but it would seem im training too intense too often. I usually keep my reps within the 10 range, I start off with a warmup and then do a very heavy first set, around 90% of my 1rm, for around 6/7 reps, this first set is the killer and i usually struggle on the last rep if not fail. My following two or three sets are usually within the 8-12 range, also high intensity and struggling on the last rep. My diet is good and I get quite a bit of rest, but i cant help thinking of overdoing it and lifting heavy too often.

    Ive searched the forums but unable to find a good example of how often i should be lifting very heavy.

    Any help is appreciated.
    first of all your split is not good, you can be making better gains if you train movements and not bodyparts, I find upper horizontal / lower quad-dom / upper vertical / lower hip-dom to be the best split. You should be training about 1-2 reps short of failure, and taking a week off about every 4-6weeks.
    Did you read the stickies yet?
    GL

  7. #7
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    Quote Originally Posted by mike456 View Post
    first of all your split is not good, you can be making better gains if you train movements and not bodyparts, I find upper horizontal / lower quad-dom / upper vertical / lower hip-dom to be the best split. You should be training about 1-2 reps short of failure, and taking a week off about every 4-6weeks.
    Did you read the stickies yet?
    GL
    he didnt ask for a fuckin routine critiqe did he? NO and i'm not an idiot, i do what works for me for my goals...don't worry about what i do, worry about wtf your doing.

  8. #8
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
    he didnt ask for a fuckin routine critiqe did he? NO and i'm not an idiot, i do what works for me for my goals...don't worry about what i do, worry about wtf your doing.
    so why the hell are you posting it?
    if he didn't want help with his split, he wouldn't have posted it.
    and you are an idiot imo.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    Quote Originally Posted by mike456 View Post
    so why the hell are you posting it?
    if he didn't want help with his split, he wouldn't have posted it.
    and you are an idiot imo.
    he didnt want help w/his split(don't think so anyways), he asked about training at H.I all the time.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    I say- train as heavy as you can for all compound exercises. but do a warmup set before you start...for example on bench:

    135x12-warmup
    then fucking hammer it
    225x5
    235x3
    235x3

    thats what i do(the warmup then hammering it, the lbs were just for example )

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    yea and I toild him he should use that split, and train 1-2 reps from failure, and take a week off every 6 weeks, whats your prob lem, I thnk you took the wrong pills.

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
    I say- train as heavy as you can for all compound exercises. but do a warmup set before you start...for example on bench:

    135x12-warmup
    then fucking hammer it
    225x5
    235x3
    235x3

    thats what i do(the warmup then hammering it, the lbs were just for example )
    everyone has different goals, but it is bad to train heavy and to failure all the time, but hey everyone is different.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    Quote Originally Posted by mike456 View Post
    yea and I toild him he should use that split, and train 1-2 reps from failure, and take a week off every 6 weeks, whats your prob lem, I thnk you took the wrong pills.
    mhmmmm ...... be careful training heavy on bench, i have a thing that catches the weight and i duno if u have a spotter lol. one time i was doing overhead presses(standing) and i had 155 on the bar and was only gonna try 2-3reps and i did 2 then i was on my 3rd one and i was push up and my arms were giving out and it was over my head and i was like O FUCK so i exploded up the bar as high as it coulda gone and i moved outta the way lmfao! it made a big bang when it hit the floor lol.

  14. #14
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Rep Points
    2003272

    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
    mhmmmm ...... be careful training heavy on bench, i have a thing that catches the weight and i duno if u have a spotter lol. one time i was doing overhead presses(standing) and i had 155 on the bar and was only gonna try 2-3reps and i did 2 then i was on my 3rd one and i was push up and my arms were giving out and it was over my head and i was like O FUCK so i exploded up the bar as high as it coulda gone and i moved outta the way lmfao! it made a big bang when it hit the floor lol.
    are you trying to prove you know nothing?, I am not saying it is bad to train heavy or to failure because it is dangerous if you don't have a spotter, it puts to much stress on your central nervous system, and that can cause lots of problems

  15. #15
    Registered User
    kenwood's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,876
    Rep Points
    7891230

    Quote Originally Posted by mike456 View Post
    are you trying to prove you know nothing?, I am not saying it is bad to train heavy or to failure because it is dangerous if you don't have a spotter, it puts to much stress on your central nervous system, and that can cause lots of problems
    me not know what ur saying

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Double D's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,483
    Rep Points
    10928003

    If you are going to failure on every set then you are doing to much. There is no need to do this. Normally I throw one set in per workout where I go to failure. As far as intensity you should be intense on every set of every rep! But being intense doesnt mean going to failure, it simply means you are putting everything into the set amount of reps you are shooting for!

  17. #17
    Light weight!
    StanUk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away
    Posts
    705
    Rep Points
    1114910

    Thanks for the replies guys! I dont really wanna take sides or anything, i posted my routine just to elaborate on my workouts, but i do appreciate that you've said its not good.

    I have read the stickies but i've found that my routine has been working well for me (well, until i was sick the other day) Perhaps you could elaborate as to why I would be making better gains training movements as opposed to bodyparts?

    My main concern at the moment really is that my intensity is not too high all the time and therefore affecting my CNS.

    Thanks again.

    *EDIT*

    Just to add, how do you difer from training body parts and movements? I mean if you look at my routine you could catagorize it as:

    SUN: Legs/ upper Pull
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: Upper Push
    Wed: Legs/ upper Pull
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Upper Push
    Sat: Rest

    Am I right in saying this? Apologies if this is a noob like statement..
    Last edited by StanUk; 10-03-2006 at 11:10 AM.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    JimSnow's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Points
    -1189

    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood View Post
    fuck, i lift till failure on every set. my reps were 8,6,4(pyrimid style) and when i could do 8 i coulda done 10 and when i coulda done 6 i coulda done 8. well u get it eh?. now my reps are 3-5 till failure or almost. i train heavy every workout.

    I tend to do the same thing, but generally at the end of of workout. About 5 minutes of unadulterated hell as fast and furious as possible at the end.

    Mental health.

    But, more so lately - I'm trying to concentrate hard enough to "feel" the full range of motion, with different paces. That's not as easy as it sounds. Ever concentrate on a full bicep curl, neglecting not a single inch in the movement?

    Efficiency. I guess.



    "Wait 'till you see special photos of my old man butt in April!"

  19. #19
    PISSED!!
    ELITE MEMBER
    viet_jon's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Our home and Native land
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Points
    596737

    Quote Originally Posted by StanUk View Post

    Thanks again.

    *EDIT*

    Just to add, how do you difer from training body parts and movements? I mean if you look at my routine you could catagorize it as:

    SUN: Legs/ upper Pull
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: Upper Push
    Wed: Legs/ upper Pull
    Thu: Rest
    Fri: Upper Push
    Sat: Rest

    Am I right in saying this? Apologies if this is a noob like statement..

    I was about to say that. Your split is pretty much push pull.

    back/bi - pull
    chest/delt/tri - push




    As for going to failure all the time.....I did that when I first started. After 4 months, you start burning out. Also by then your lifts would be much heavier, so I doubt most people could go to failure like that forever.

  20. #20
    Light weight!
    StanUk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away
    Posts
    705
    Rep Points
    1114910

    Jimsnow: Yeh I know what you saying, concentrating perfectly on a bicep curl usuaully requires dropping a few pounds off the weight! I think its the worst excersize to be strict with your form, for me its me least favourite excersize.

    Viet Jon: thanks for clearing that up for me, when i designed my routine i had the push/pull/legs in mind, however I posted it as bodyparts worked for some reason..

    This seems to be my problem, ive managed to make good gains in weight that im lifting, my problem is im constantly keeping the reps very similar and therefore constantly trying to lift to failure at a higher weight and i think this is whats causing me problems.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    SAMIAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    48
    Rep Points
    10

    When I was new to power-lifting I spent the first 8 months or so shocking myself at how quickly my 1RM bench was moving up , and I made what I percieve to be a fairly common mistake. The "high" of being able to move so much weight became addicting and instead of cycling or periodizing(I guess thats what it's called now a days), my bench "workouts" turned into one LONG plateau of lifting the same weight for an ever increasing number of sets - turning almost into an endurance builder.While great for my ego initially , it did squat for strength increase and became very frustrating(altho IMO it did have a pronounced "hardening effect"); finally I broke down and learned wave loading and other techniques that while initially depriving me of the "he-man" feeling of lifting the heavier weight ultimately enabled me to progress again .
    I'm not saying this applies to you 100% but it may fit a little ...Good luck

  22. #22
    Registered User
    JimSnow's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Points
    -1189

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
    When I was new to power-lifting I spent the first 8 months or so shocking myself at how quickly my 1RM bench was moving up , and I made what I percieve to be a fairly common mistake. The "high" of being able to move so much weight became addicting and instead of cycling or periodizing(I guess thats what it's called now a days), my bench "workouts" turned into one LONG plateau of lifting the same weight for an ever increasing number of sets - turning almost into an endurance builder.While great for my ego initially , it did squat for strength increase and became very frustrating(altho IMO it did have a pronounced "hardening effect"); finally I broke down and learned wave loading and other techniques that while initially depriving me of the "he-man" feeling of lifting the heavier weight ultimately enabled me to progress again .
    I'm not saying this applies to you 100% but it may fit a little ...Good luck

    When you get "down and dirty honest" with your workouts, as a bodybuilder, how much are you cheating yourself out of - handling those impressive weights you really haven't learned to handle.

    That's why I'm here.. to suck knowledge off you guys, "intensely"! Hopefully I'll learn enough to add something. LOL
    "Wait 'till you see special photos of my old man butt in April!"

  23. #23
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,567
    Rep Points
    242738373

    If something is working, don't change it. When it stops working, change it.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    JimSnow's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Points
    -1189






    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    If something is working, don't change it. When it stops working, change it.
    Good.
    "Wait 'till you see special photos of my old man butt in April!"

Similar Threads

  1. High intensity training log
    By ihateschoolmt in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 526
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM
  2. High Intensity training!
    By mmuscle in forum Training
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
  3. Special High Intensity Training
    By min0 lee in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
  4. High Intensity Training
    By Weight39 in forum Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->