NapsGear.net

Why not use machines...........

Rep Points

Why not use machines...........

why is it not good to work out with the machines as opposed to free weights? i know that you don't use those stabalizing muscles when on the machines but if i want a bigger chest why should i care about those stabalizing muscles and just concentrate on my chest? i am just playing devil's advocate.........i only use machines for a couple of back excercises but i see a lot to people at my gym on wide,incline, and decline chest press machines and i am just wondering why they are so popular?

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by the_general64 View Post
    why is it not good to work out with the machines as opposed to free weights? i know that you don't use those stabalizing muscles when on the machines but if i want a bigger chest why should i care about those stabalizing muscles and just concentrate on my chest? i am just playing devil's advocate.........i only use machines for a couple of back excercises but i see a lot to people at my gym on wide,incline, and decline chest press machines and i am just wondering why they are so popular?
    IMO, a lot of machines don't allow for a good stretch and the primary movers can slide a little because of teh fixed movement plane...I.E. chest press...pushing out with tri's more than pushing forward with chest and shoulders....get my drift?? I have a bigger stronger chest since using dumbells and barbells.

Free weights are superior in every single way to any machine....so the question you should be asking yourself is "why NOT to use freeweights?"
    Quote Originally Posted by B40 View Post
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

Rep Points

I'm a freeweight person. Haven't joined a gym yet... so that's all I've got. But, machines will tend to "lock" you into form. With freeweights you have to mobility to alter particular movements in anyway you can imagine. Angles and variation.

Doesn't mean I won't use machines along w/ freeweights. It's all 'good'.
    "Wait 'till you see special photos of my old man butt in April!"

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Somehow I always have the idea that I can't go all-out on machines. With freeweights there's a clear last rep. On a machine I always tend to get to the point where I completed the set, but I have the feeling I can do like 10 more sloppy reps. Never really gives a feeling of satisfaction. Guess it's just me.

The equipment for my current program: a barbell. All of my exercises are with a barbell and some are weighted bodyweight exercises.

Rep Points

machines take out the stabalizing muscles. it'd be easy to put 250lbs on a smith machine and hold it overhead, i'd like to see yout try that w/freeweights. plus i dont get that good of stretch in my chest and etc.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by the_general64 View Post
    Thats not all they take out. Do you think there are just one section of stabilization muscles in your body for a chest press? Your chest works harder to stabilize the weight...and it doesnt end there. I mean, yeah its hard, but are we working out to kick back and relax?

Plus, most machines start the movement on the concentric phase vs. the eccentric.

I think machines would be good for rehab, but even when one sees through their injury or return to the gym, theyre gonna get stronger. The machine can only give so much intensity.

I wonder if the pros would consider machines = beginners? To get the individual used to the actual movement. P? Cow?

I know NASM encourages machines for deconditioned peeps...
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I wonder if the pros would consider machines = beginners? To get the individual used to the actual movement. P? Cow?

I know NASM encourages machines for deconditioned peeps...
    I'm not the expert u were lookin for, but here's a little insight into what I have my clients do....

We don't really have any machines at my studio, but I've trained at other studios with vectra machines and I avoided them like the plague. I also have a smith machine here and I have never used it for anything except some push ups for girls...

Using machines IMO really limit a person's ability to progress...example. Squatting on a smith machine will never teach a person how to squat free. I would start with some bodyweight squats and lunges to build balance and stability and form. Then we progress from there.

So I start with light weights and exercises that the client can perform properly....after building some strength and developing proper motor patterns, we can go from there. Machines would do nothing for proper motor pattern development...Thereby limiting progression...and ultimately progress and growth.
    No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Id say over half the trainers at my gym make their clients use the machines... Maybe it helps with sales?

If a client is not able to do such movements freely, I can understand, but maybe my trainers just 'use what works.' For instance, theyve got years of experience in dealing with the pissing and moaning, so they just say fuck it, Ill make them do the machines since they prefer it and keep paying $$.

Sorry ass excuses really, but I wonder if anyone has heard a trainer speak like that.

I really need to replace one or two...well one in particuliar. Ohhh, id love to beat the shit out of him and wash the makeup off my knuckles from his face.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

The Damned
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Id say over half the trainers at my gym make their clients use the machines... Maybe it helps with sales?

If a client is not able to do such movements freely, I can understand, but maybe my trainers just 'use what works.' For instance, theyve got years of experience in dealing with the pissing and moaning, so they just say fuck it, Ill make them do the machines since they prefer it and keep paying $$.

Sorry ass excuses really, but I wonder if anyone has heard a trainer speak like that.

I really need to replace one or two...well one in particuliar. Ohhh, id love to beat the shit out of him and wash the makeup off my knuckles from his face.
    I mean, how EASY is it to put a person on a machine?? Anybody can "do the machines"..why would they pay a few hundred dollars a month for that??
    yeah, that shit!!!

MySpace

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thats how fucking stupid people are. And Id say anyone could take advantage, even trainers.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Rep Points

Both are best, but I use cables over a fixed machine whenm I can.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I use a combination. The main reason being is that the gym I go to is a private gym that's open 24/7/365. I work nights, and I can go in anytime I want. They mostly have machines, but they have dumbells and an EZ Curl Bar. If you want to bench there, you have to use dumbells or the Smith Machine, so I usually do both, plus I have a bench at home. I used to only use the machines, and I've noticed I've been growing a lot more since adding the free weights into my routine. They also have another gym about 35 miles away, so I go there on Saturday sometimes because they have a HUGE free weight room. Not to mention the membership only cost me $300.00 a year.