• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

New smith machine design.

Mindset26

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know that very few on the forums here are big fans of the smith machine for
doing squats. I've also read articles on how you can easily hurt your back
doing squats on a standard machine like this because it restricts your
range of movement.
A few companies, however have designed their smith machines with the
poles leaning back at an angle of about 7 degrees instead of straight up
and down.
They claim that this design allows you to achieve a more natural range of
movement while doing squats on a smith machine of this type.
Therefore they say that back injuries will not happen.
It's been difficult to find any reviews on this new design of smith machine
so i'm just asking if anyone has tried this new design or has heard
anything good or bad about it.
I added a picture of one as well.
I know overall, it's probably better to just stick with regular squats.
Just curious.

there is absolutely nothing good about a smith machine. forget about it and get a power rack.

I like these for incline benching, shrugs and upright rows. I have trap injuries at present though so I really dont do uprights at all, and shrugs are LIGHT when at all.

I saw somebody doing bent over rows and OH press on them last week. Both were incredibly poor form aswell. Made me laugh though!

That's hardly any more natural. The bar still moves in a straight line.

Yeah, I guess i'll look into a squat cage instead.
Besides, I was surprised at the prices of these new
smith machines. The one by Bodysolid is 1600$.
I've seen good squat cages for less than half that price.

the good thing about a smith machine is that it is essentially self spotting so you wont kill yourself.

the bad is that there is NO range of movement.

thats why i love the prospot. it is still self spotting but has complete range of movement.

check it out...

http://www.prospotfitness.com/pages/p100.html

there are other models as well

5700-p100_sm.jpg

notice the two thin cables locking the bar into place, nothing else.

Yeah, I guess i'll look into a squat cage instead.
Besides, I was surprised at the prices of these new
smith machines. The one by Bodysolid is 1600$.
I've seen good squat cages for less than half that price.

i was pricing a good power cage also. check out new york barbells.

I use the smith machine when I don't have a spot to do decline and incline presses. Other than that I never use one.

I only ever use the Smith Machine for shoulder shrugs and calf raises. I'm not sure that either would work well with the angled Smith that you have posted a picture of. However, it looks like the one you have pictured includes a free weight squat rack on the opposite side?

IML Gear Cream!
Either way, for doing squats, I prefer the cage the best. Although I've never needed to set down weight while squatting, it's better for my psychologically.

I use the smith machine when I don't have a spot to do decline and incline presses. Other than that I never use one.

How often do you really not have a spot? I can always find a spot at my gym, but even though most of the time somebody doesnt know how to spot to save their life...they are saving mine!

I do calf raises off a block of wood and shrugs on a smith machine also.

How often do you really not have a spot? I can always find a spot at my gym, but even though most of the time somebody doesnt know how to spot to save their life...they are saving mine!

I do calf raises off a block of wood and shrugs on a smith machine also.

I personally don't ask a spot just anyone in my gym. Usually the bug the heck out of me, even if I give them specific directions during the spot. I hate getting assistance when I don't need it!

So sadly true.

Ive told people to not touch the bar unless it starts coming down when its not supposed to. I thought it was fine advice. Well...when I was failing a rep, the fucking guy grabbed the bar and jerked it away from me. I mean were talking an extra 50% more strength than what I was failing. Why help that much? :mad:

I personally don't ask a spot just anyone in my gym. Usually the bug the heck out of me, even if I give them specific directions during the spot. I hate getting assistance when I don't need it!

Yeah, I am the same way. I have about 3 or 4 friends in the gym that I will ask for a spot from, but I will not ask a stranger. That is just one of my weird hang-ups.

Back