IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

GOP swept out in anger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

GOP swept out in anger

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
    DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Dems take over the House
    Iraq, scandals drive voters
    Senate battle a nail-biter

WASHINGTON - Democrats rode a wave of anger at President Bush, sweeping to victory in the House last night and threatening the GOP's hold on the Senate.
    In a stunning rebuke to the President, the Iraq war and the scandal-plagued GOP, voters even in deep-red Republican states like Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina - and in upstate New York - decided to throw the bums out.
    Democrats shocked the GOP by picking up at least 30 seats - twice what they needed.
    "This is looking like the first 20 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan,' " said a top aide to a Republican governor.
    In the Senate, they appeared to have clinched at least a tie but were leading in enough states early this morning to possibly control there, too.
    "While the fat lady hasn't sung, we are right on the edge of taking the Senate," a jubilant Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said this morning, adding, "We are not ready to declare victory, but it's looking pretty good."
    Moments later, the high-fiving Schumer ran into House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who squealed with delight when he addressed her as "Madame Speaker."
    The Democratic tide ran strongest in the House. There, the Dems' strategy of running on national issues and against Bush instead of local concerns carried the day.
    Republicans said publicly the vote wasn't a brushback for the President - but not privately.
    "Anything other than keeping both Houses is a rejection of the President," conceded a senior Republican official with close ties to the White House.
    Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), who coasted to reelection, warned the White House to take note of the vote and rethink its Iraq policy.
    "Last week," Clinton said, "the vice president said regardless of the outcome, the administration would go full speed ahead in the same direction. I think the American people have said, 'Not so fast!' "
    House falls
    National exit polls found nearly six in 10 voters disapproved of the war in Iraq and Bush. Many also named corruption as a reason they came out in unusually large numbers in many places.
    Indiana was a major blow to the GOP, with three seats flipping. Pennsylvania swapped three seats, with a fourth in balance, and red-leaning upstate lost three GOP seats. Bush did well in those districts in 2004.
    In North Carolina, evangelical Christian Democrat and former pro quarterback Heath Shuler topped Rep. Charles Taylor.
    In their drive to take the Senate as well, Democrats picked up at least four seats in the early counting, but they needed six to take Senate control.
    After a night of nail-biting for the Democrats, James Webb declared victory over Republican George Allen in Virginia. A recount there is likely. Democrat Jon Tester was leading GOP's Conrad Burns in Montana.
    If those leads hold up, the Democrats would take charge of the Senate.
    Pelosi in power
    An emotional future House Speaker Pelosi promised bipartisan government while backhandedly slamming Republicans who lost. "The American people voted for change and they voted for Democrats to take our country in a new direction," she said, tears glinting in her eyes. "The Democrats intend to lead the most open, most honest Congress in history."
    The loss of bellwether districts marked a major failure for the GOP's vaunted get-out-the-vote operation.
    "It says the Republican machine wasn't strong enough to withstand Iraq and a terrible year of scandal," said Boston University political analyst Julian Zelizer. "We have hit a turning point for conservatives and the Republican Party. A lot of Republicans will be scratching their heads."
    Many Republicans were hanging their heads last night, blaming the President as much as voters apparently did.
    A glum senior GOP official agreed Democrats succeeded in turning the races into a referendum on Bush and Iraq.
    "In a lot of races the Democratic candidate was irrelevant," the official said. "It was all about Bush."
    One of the trends was moderate Republicans being tossed from office in states with large Democratic populations, such as Rhode Island's Sen. Lincoln Chafee, whose loss to Sheldon Whitehouse ends, for now, a Republican dynasty in a blue state.
    In nearby Connecticut, host to one of the most surprising contests of the year, Independent Sen. Joseph Lieberman pulled out a win over the Democratic nominee, Ned Lamont.
    Lieberman recovered from near-pariah status after losing the Democratic primary to the Greenwich businessman.
    Lieberman promised to vote with Democrats, but his old party cannot take him for granted with the count so close.
    Slow motion
    A big question mark that remained from last night was how the new Congress would govern, and whether it could get along with the White House.
    Harlem Rep. Charles Rangel, who will become chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said it was in everyone's interest to cooperate, particularly Bush. He predicted they would.
    "The opportunity is there," Rangel said. "I think it works politically because the Democrats know they will be under scrutiny to prove they can govern for two years. And it gives the President an opportunity not to be a lame duck."
    Observers said whatever mandate Democrats feel they have, they won't move hard and fast.
    Pelosi has an agenda for her first 100 working hours focusing on popular items like raising the minimum wage.
    GOP consultant Rich Galen predicted gridlock would ensure that little would get done between now and 2008. And, he said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    "The nation will sleep very well for the next two years," he said.
    With Thomas M. DeFrank and James Gordon Meek

Originally published on November 8, 2006

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

We have stumbled into some strange times my friends....when America is lending it's republican leaders to the Democratic side to slew/slay/slayeth/sloth? a giant that has bullied it's way into power and refused to listen to what we want to happen...
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hmmm, I am interested to see if democrats actually make something of this.
    Fucking Determined!

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Hmmm, I am interested to see if democrats actually make something of this.
    What you must realize my dear boy is that them thar democrats you think you see, are republicans who didn't like the direction of their party so they joined the Liberal ranks...many of them did if you will look real good and hard....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    many of them did if you will look real good and hard....
    Yeah, but who wants to do that shit?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Poker banning nazis

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    What you must realize my dear boy is that them thar democrats you think you see, are republicans who didn't like the direction of their party so they joined the Liberal ranks...many of them did if you will look real good and hard....
    Right here baby. Look right here. That was me this election.

Rep Points

I hope they recognize that we want change now.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Many "conservative" ballot initiatives won...it seems the country is still by and large conservative, they just can't stand the current batch of Republicans.

The Republican party is ripe for being seriously damaged if the Dems would just take a step or two to the right.

Rep Points

so u guys are all against the war and want ur troops home ?
    When you play for Celtic forget the Jersey forget the club, your playing for a people and a cause.

SeƱor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Richie1888 View Post
    so u guys are all against the war and want ur troops home ?
    In a nutshell, yes.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatMC View Post
    In a nutshell, yes.
    why
    When you play for Celtic forget the Jersey forget the club, your playing for a people and a cause.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Many "conservative" ballot initiatives won...it seems the country is still by and large conservative, they just can't stand the current batch of Republicans.

The Republican party is ripe for being seriously damaged if the Dems would just take a step or two to the right.
    Exactly. Jim Webb in my state was a Secretary of the Navy and worked under Reagan, but switched parties to get George Allen out of office. Thank God, too

Rep Points

why
    How arent you

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by goandykid View Post
    How arent you
    arent i what ?

Rep Points

How aren't you against the war and want our troops home?

You sounded like you were about to say something along those lines.

Rep Points

How aren't you against the war and want our troops home?

You sounded like you were about to say something along those lines.
    no i wasnt

ok yes u got me i was going to say something along those lines

Rep Points

continue

Rep Points

im collecting my thoughts

Rep Points

Rep Points

i hope thats nail bitting with anticipation?

Rep Points

i hope thats nail bitting with anticipation?

Rep Points

my arguement is a bit cold and unsensitive

ur not going to cry or anything if i make it are u?

Rep Points

only if you spell insensitive wrong again

Esprit de Corps
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

my arguement is a bit cold and unsensitive

ur not going to cry or anything if i make it are u?
    Surely you know by now that no one in this forum is "sensitive"

We pretty much just beat the living hell out of each other regardless of "feelings"
    NEVER write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ASS!!

I can run faster mad than you can scared

"All right brain... I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer" ~ Homer Simpson

Rep Points

Well put Wit.

Your dog's hat clashes w/ the cheetah print collar.

Esprit de Corps
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well put Wit.

Your dog's hat clashes w/ the cheetah print collar.
    Ok... that hurts
    NEVER write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ASS!!

I can run faster mad than you can scared

"All right brain... I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer" ~ Homer Simpson

Rep Points

only if you spell insensitive wrong again
    typing error but thanks for pointing it out

basically do they get paid to be in the army ? im pretty sure the answer is yes. so their doing their jobs so let them get on with it

Rep Points

typing error but thanks for pointing it out

basically do they get paid to be in the army ? im pretty sure the answer is yes. so their doing their jobs so let them get on with it
    They get paid shit. Many are doing it (including myself) for college reasons. Plus, Iraq is entering civil war and we're losing this the same way we lsot Vietnam. We can't fight an enemy we can't see. Imagine if New York City was invaded. No matter how long it was occupied, New Yorkers would always be attacking the occupants. Militaristically (word?) at first, but then guerilla style after.

We need to put them in the ebst situation we can for peace, then save ourselves. Our troops are sitting ducks and the longer we stay there the less chance they have of working it through after we leave b/c we breed more and more hate and terrorism every day by being there.

Rep Points

They get paid shit. Many are doing it (including myself) for college reasons. Plus, Iraq is entering civil war and we're losing this the same way we lsot Vietnam. We can't fight an enemy we can't see. Imagine if New York City was invaded. No matter how long it was occupied, New Yorkers would always be attacking the occupants. Militaristically (word?) at first, but then guerilla style after.

We need to put them in the ebst situation we can for peace, then save ourselves. Our troops are sitting ducks and the longer we stay there the less chance they have of working it through after we leave b/c we breed more and more hate and terrorism every day by being there.
    im going to cry if u spell best wrong again

fair point i didnt say ud like my point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast