• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Beast Mode Activated!!

PWGriffin

The Damned
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok I'm starting a journal. Maybe I'll get some feedback this time around. I am training for strength now and am working on my bench and squat at the moment. I have not even done the first workout yet but I am super pumped!! This week I'm working on my clean form so next week I will begin.

I maxed out on bench today and got 265 on the second attempt (sad, I know, but it will go up quickly I hope)

Here is what my week will look like!~

Upper1: RI: 90-120sec
Bench Press 5x3
Weighted Pull ups 5x3
Incline DB Press 3x8-10
Face Pulls 3x8-10

Lower1:
Squats 5x3
RDLs 5x3
Split Squat 3x8
hypers 2x12-15

Upper2:
Push Press 8x3
Bent Rows 3x8-10
Weighted Dips 3x8-10
weighted Chins 3x8-10

Lower2:
Cleans 8x3
Snatch Grip Deadlifts 3x8-10
Lunges 3x8-10

It's kinda my version of westside. I'm also going to be doing shoulder stability circuits 2x a week and perhaps some form of cardio once or twice a week....

Suggestions, advice, criticism and praise are all welcome!!!

What kind of cardio would you guys attempt if you were on westside? You think HIIT cardio might be pushing the limit??

If 265 is sad, then what is my 150. :(

Good luck on your new routine.

I dig the Beast Wars reference.

rhinox.jpg

If 265 is sad, then what is my 150. :(

Good luck on your new routine.

I dig the Beast Wars reference.

rhinox.jpg

I'm definitely not trying to down anybody by saying my 265 is sad...but it is kinda sad for me....I was at 265 almost a year ago, but my training and diet was so poor that it steadily declined for six months to like 225 or so...now I've finally gotten back to where I was and hope to start making some headway soon...

Keep checkin in man!

I still have a lot to learn (most of what I know, Ive learned from this forum), but I like how you set up your routine.

Im currently doing the bill starr 5x5 (this routine has started to take a toll on me, so Im glad im in my deload week), but was thinking of going to an upper lower once its done. Good luck!

So are your bench, squats, push press, and cleans all speed work or what?

Well I guess what I am asking is your 8x3 speed work throughout your workout?

Well I guess what I am asking is your 8x3 speed work throughout your workout?

The push presses and cleans are speed/power work...I'm doing very light loads and hammering speed and form and will take pretty short rests in between sets.

Sounds good then. Cant wait to see the progress.

Lawl, Beast Wars was teh pwnage back in the day... Looks like an interesting journal... Fairly low volume routine it looks like. However often are you going to change volume and/or exercises?

As for cardio, I just stick to ~15 minutes of moderate biking or elliptical. I may also do treadmill interval sprints sometimes too.

Oh I forgot to mention loading parameters....

Week1: 80% 8rm
Week2: 85% 6rm
week3: back off
week4: 90% (set new pr's)
repeat

On the speed work, I will be using roughly 75% of my 1RM....

IML Gear Cream!
what do you mean 80% 8rm? What does that have to do with what you were doing? You were doing 3 reps per set.

I hate doing speed work with something like 75% much to hard onmy joints. I dont like going over about 60 or so.

I hate doing speed work with something like 75% much to hard onmy joints. I dont like going over about 60 or so.

yea, 75% is high.

should probably start at something like 65 ir 70% and work up over a series of weeks.

I was just saying 80% equals 8RM....is this not correct? I'm still doin triples...

Alright 65 or 70% it is...I'm open to all suggestions...keep em comin.

I was just saying 80% equals 8RM....is this not correct? I'm still doin triples...

Alright 65 or 70% it is...I'm open to all suggestions...keep em comin.

yes, that is correct.

So this week I am getting ready to start my new program....Today I am doing cleans (again) Some chin ups and some shoulder stability work....This is kinda like an off week. My knees are feeling 100% better, but not 100% perfect. Right shoulder feels great. Next week will be fun. So...

Cleans 8x3...135lbs...
Chin ups 3 sets to just shy of failure...seeing where I stand
Front squats 3x8...135lbs..light
Shoulder Prehab.

what was/is wrong with your knee? shoulder?

what was/is wrong with your knee? shoulder?

Sometimes I get little shoulder impingements and I have a little tendonitis in my right knee

Sometimes I get little shoulder impingements and I have a little tendonitis in my right knee

Tendonitis sucks. It's one of those annoying things that seems to linger forever.

Started the new program today @80% like I planned.

Bench Press 5x3..215
Weighted Pullups 5x3 +15 (weighted was new to me...just testin the water)
Incline DB Press 3x8..75s
DB Rows 3x8..80's ( I threw these in last minute...now I have pulling movements with a pronated, neutral, and supinated grip)

Workout was easy. 0 fatigue...none. I kinda figured this was the goal, move the most weight without inducing the most fatigue. I am really diggin the new program. Lower body tomorrow. I will be icing my knee.

IML Gear Cream!
First Leg day...

Dynamic Warm up/ Foam Roll...3 minutes on the treadmill

Squats 5x3..265....this was actually a little tough, next week is gonna suck.
RDL's 5x3..265...this was not tough, pretty easy actually..I reach an inch or so past my knees...perhaps when I become more flexible I'll attempt more depth.

Bulgarian Split Squat 3x8..35's...I absolutely LOVED these. I felt comfortable with the form and no pain or discomfort in the knees or glutes like I've had at times with dynamic lunges.

Hypers 3x12..+25....I actually tried to maintain a neutral spine during these...at times I would hold the weight straight out or away from the body....hamstrings were really feelin em. I think I need these in my program honestly...I feel my hips have been taking over on a lot of my lifts.

Good workout overall...I took my time..I wasn't in a very good mood though, I think it affected the workout. I was a little depressed for some reason. Oh well.

my journal gets no love. :(

I was wondering what you guys think....essentially, this is a bench and squat program. Should I ramp up the intensity over the course of the month on say..the weighted pull ups and RDL's too? Or should I do more reps with both of those lifts??

I was wondering what you guys think....essentially, this is a bench and squat program. Should I ramp up the intensity over the course of the month on say..the weighted pull ups and RDL's too? Or should I do more reps with both of those lifts??

I'd offer my opinion, but then again everyone seems to think I lift WAY too much, so I'm not the one to ask. I've cut out a lot of stuff from my lifts and everyone still seems to think I lift too much. Then again, I'm also one of the more inexperienced lifters here, as well. Good to see it's going well though. I should probably make my own journal...

I would personally go for both. However, it's not necessary. If you feel like you have the nervous fortitude for that then go for it. You could also kinda play it by ear. If you get to that day with pullups and RDLs and don't feel the motivation to go balls out then don't worry about it.

Squats 5x3..265....this was actually a little tough, next week is gonna suck.

this is the problem with percentage based programs. if you are off, or you have a bad week, it throws off the whole schedule. It is better to play it by ear and see how you feel (RPE) and slowly make your increases, instead of focusing on specific intensities.

this is the problem with percentage based programs. if you are off, or you have a bad week, it throws off the whole schedule. It is better to play it by ear and see how you feel (RPE) and slowly make your increases, instead of focusing on specific intensities.

Gotcha

The percentages can be used as an idea, but they are not a be all end all.

You really want to know...."okay, I am looking at around 85-90% for 6 sets of 2 today.....If I feel good, I'll take 90% (or even take 85 of the first to reps, 87 the next 2 and then 90 on the final 2) for all 6 sets. Or, if you are not feeling 100%, stick around 85%).

You can't get to wraped up with what the program says on paper. that is when you start to have problems....like "it says I have to work up 95% today but I feel like shit!".....well, how productive is that 95% going to be if you feel like shit? You might not even be able to hit the 95% or you might hurt yourself trying to hit the 95%.

The same goes for training other people. The program is there, it is a sketch of what is SUPPOSED to happen. it isn't always what WILL happen.

The percentages can be used as an idea, but they are not a be all end all.

You really want to know...."okay, I am looking at around 85-90% for 6 sets of 2 today.....If I feel good, I'll take 90% (or even take 85 of the first to reps, 87 the next 2 and then 90 on the final 2) for all 6 sets. Or, if you are not feeling 100%, stick around 85%).

You can't get to wraped up with what the program says on paper. that is when you start to have problems....like "it says I have to work up 95% today but I feel like shit!".....well, how productive is that 95% going to be if you feel like shit? You might not even be able to hit the 95% or you might hurt yourself trying to hit the 95%.

The same goes for training other people. The program is there, it is a sketch of what is SUPPOSED to happen. it isn't always what WILL happen.

How do you know until you try? Do you kinda gradually build up to the percentages you were shooting for?

How do you know until you try? Do you kinda gradually build up to the percentages you were shooting for?

I can pretty much tell how I am feeling on that day while I am warming up.

also, I know that I am going to build up over time, so i will hold back when I need to and push when I need to. If I am going between 90-95% for several singles, I may stick with 90% for that first week and see how it goes....technique, bar speed, etc....then move up the next week, etc...

Back