NapsGear.net

          Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter


Breathing Issue

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Breathing Issue

  1. #1
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589
    Rep Points
    10

    Breathing Issue






    Well 4 weeks ago, I got the worst headache ever during bench pressing heavy. Right after my set my head was pounding, and I was nautious, dizzy, etc. I then came back the next day etc, and the same headache came back. From going to a few doctors that weren't much help, I've come to the conclusion by searching online that it was an EIH (Exercise Induced Headache) from improper breathing.

    Basically I was struggling really hard on 405, and wasn't breathing at all, or not enough.

    So everything is fine now, and I'm just really worried when going heavy now. I never use to focus on breathing, and never really had a problem. Now I'm making myself breathe in and breathe out on the push/pull...But now I feel lightheaded after my set, from OVER breathing. I feel like all I do is breathe now, and I can't even focus on my set. Then 2 days ago I tried doing shoulder press, and I did one set without much concentrated breathing and I felt alot better...Just want to know what I should be doing.

    I've been working out for years, and never even really though about breathing in/out guess I just kinda did it...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    goandykid's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,374
    Rep Points
    7441633

    I breathe in slowly going down(stomach), and explode the air out of my chest while ppushing up. I just had a hernia though, so you might not want to listen to me
    You guys are going to lose. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. " - Gilbert Arenas

  3. #3
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589
    Rep Points
    10

    Also does it matter if you breathe in through your mouth or nose? Lately I've been lightly breathing in, then pushing it out hard. But I read somewhere where it said dont "force" the breathe out

  4. #4
    Registered User
    goandykid's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,374
    Rep Points
    7441633

    One of the vets or PT's could probably answer the actual mechanics of breathing better. I do know however that when you breathe in your abdominals should be loose, make sure you have that down. I breathe 100% out my mouth when I lift b/c I feel like it allows more oxygen into my lungs and my nose is always stuffed.

    The light headedness you get from overbreathing is hyperventilating. Most deep sea divers intentionally hyperventilate before dives to allow more oxygen into their lungs, hyperventitalting allows you to force out most of the co2, kind of like intense yawning.
    You guys are going to lose. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. " - Gilbert Arenas

  5. #5
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    When you got the headache initially did you use the Valsalva maneuver?
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  6. #6
    Registered User
    JimSnow's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    625
    Rep Points
    -1189

    Quote Originally Posted by r0dxx View Post
    Well 4 weeks ago, I got the worst headache ever during bench pressing heavy. Right after my set my head was pounding, and I was nautious, dizzy, etc. I then came back the next day etc, and the same headache came back. From going to a few doctors that weren't much help, I've come to the conclusion by searching online that it was an EIH (Exercise Induced Headache) from improper breathing.

    Basically I was struggling really hard on 405, and wasn't breathing at all, or not enough.

    So everything is fine now, and I'm just really worried when going heavy now. I never use to focus on breathing, and never really had a problem. Now I'm making myself breathe in and breathe out on the push/pull...But now I feel lightheaded after my set, from OVER breathing. I feel like all I do is breathe now, and I can't even focus on my set. Then 2 days ago I tried doing shoulder press, and I did one set without much concentrated breathing and I felt alot better...Just want to know what I should be doing.

    I've been working out for years, and never even really though about breathing in/out guess I just kinda did it...
    This has happened to me a few times times in the last 3 months. I initially thought I was suffering a stroke or aneurism. High volume - lo reps.

    The headaches were persistant... 1/2 hour or so. I admit though, if I lowered 400lbs. onto my chest at this point... the pain would be from the collapse of my chest, lungs and spine.
    "Wait 'till you see special photos of my old man butt in April!"

  7. #7
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    When you got the headache initially did you use the Valsalva maneuver?
    When I went to see a Neurologist...He kept saying that...but didn't seem to know what I actually did. I was just straining really hard, and not breathing for a few seconds while straining.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by JimSnow View Post
    This has happened to me a few times times in the last 3 months. I initially thought I was suffering a stroke or aneurism. High volume - lo reps.

    The headaches were persistant... 1/2 hour or so. I admit though, if I lowered 400lbs. onto my chest at this point... the pain would be from the collapse of my chest, lungs and spine.
    Ya for like a week I was a wreck, I kept thinking it was a aneurism or something bad. It was weird everytime I worked out for a week (any strain) the same headache came back...

    I'm still going full intensity now, just a little more worried when breathing, and feel like I'm overthinking it now

  9. #9
    Good old English grit
    JonnyStead's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    387
    Rep Points
    -20616






    If the headache was behind the eyes and in the forehead there is a chance that its an infection of the Sinuses - have you had a bad headcold or even been bitten by something that showed allergic reaction recently?

    I know this because I had the same problem, out of the blue, last year and was hospitalised for a lumber puncter and CT scan because of it. It turned out that I had been bitten by Mossies in the Caribbean and along with the bites swelling up through an allergy - my sinuses went haywire too - it scared me to death and the doctors didnt work it out at all! - good luck with that mate.
    I'm 34 - when am I officially an old fart?

Similar Threads

  1. Breathing method
    By kobb in forum Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. breathing /HIIT
    By ti6ko in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
  3. Questing About Breathing
    By 911=InsideJob in forum Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
  4. Breathing
    By pengers84 in forum Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 11:40 PM
  5. Breathing during Squats
    By mr_oo3 in forum Training
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 05:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->