reverse hyper extension

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Richie1888's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Points
    737152

    reverse hyper extension

    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...extension.html

    is this the reverse hyper thats supposed to help ur back ?
    When you play for Celtic forget the Jersey forget the club, your playing for a people and a cause.

  2. #2
    Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER
    Witchblade's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    4,469
    Rep Points
    2519459

    It says right there the back isn't really targeted.

    Normal hyper extensions target your lower back.

  3. #3
    Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER
    P-funk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    31,713
    Rep Points
    15139848

    yes, they are a good exercise if you have access to the machine.
    Optimum Sports Performance

    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Richie1888's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Points
    737152

    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    It says right there the back isn't really targeted.

    Normal hyper extensions target your lower back.
    i think the gym im in has the machine

    u got a gif or vid of a normal extension ?
    When you play for Celtic forget the Jersey forget the club, your playing for a people and a cause.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    bigbb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    17
    Rep Points
    10

    They are brutal but ya gotta love what they do to your squat.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394


  7. #7
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394

    I guess that link didn't work....

  8. #8
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394

    Ok - I'll try this again

    Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings
    Equipment: Other
    Mechanics Type: Isolation





    Video Guide: Windows Media - MPEG - Video iPod
    Tips: Lie face down on a hyperextension bench, tucking your ankles securely under the footpads. Adjust the upper pad if possible so your upper thighs lie flat across the wide pad, leaving enough room for you to bend at the waist without any restriction. Start with your body in a straight line. Cross your arms in front of you or behind your head. You can also hold a weight for extra resistance. Slowly bend forward at the waist as far as you can while keeping your back FLAT. Do not round your back. Slowly raise your torso until your legs and upper body are in a straight line again. Do NOT arch your back past a straight line!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Registered User
    wilwn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    28418

    Quote Originally Posted by katt View Post
    Ok - I'll try this again

    Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings
    Equipment: Other
    Mechanics Type: Isolation





    Video Guide: Windows Media - MPEG - Video iPod
    Tips: Lie face down on a hyperextension bench, tucking your ankles securely under the footpads. Adjust the upper pad if possible so your upper thighs lie flat across the wide pad, leaving enough room for you to bend at the waist without any restriction. Start with your body in a straight line. Cross your arms in front of you or behind your head. You can also hold a weight for extra resistance. Slowly bend forward at the waist as far as you can while keeping your back FLAT. Do not round your back. Slowly raise your torso until your legs and upper body are in a straight line again. Do NOT arch your back past a straight line!
    those are regular hyperextensions. reverse hypers are just the...reverse. you anchor your upper body, and you extend your legs. they work your entire posterior chain. i love this exercise. it would definitely help your squat and deadlift. louie simmons also swears by it as a form of rehabilitation for your back.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIP-c1IUbR0

  10. #10
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    It says right there the back isn't really targeted.

    Normal hyper extensions target your lower back.
    Normal hyperextensions shouldn't put your spine through flexion and extension either. Really, regular hyperextensions should "target" your glutes too, but most people do them improperly.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  11. #11
    Registered User
    wilwn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    28418

    is it ever okay to work your spine through extension, CP? or should they just be worked isometrically?

  12. #12
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Quote Originally Posted by wilwn View Post
    is it ever okay to work your spine through extension, CP? or should they just be worked isometrically?
    I just don't see the point in hyperextending your lumbar spine. I also highly recommend you don't flex your lumbar spine under load. Repeated cycles of flexion and extension of the lumbar spine, particularly under load, has been shown to contribute to spondylolisthesis. However, flexing your thoracic spine is acceptable in my opinion, a la crunches.

    You will, however, find plenty of people who disagree with my statements and feel it is a good idea. Dr. Ken Leistner performs round back lifts, for example.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  13. #13
    Registered User
    KataKlysm954's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fort lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    203
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbb View Post
    They are brutal but ya gotta love what they do to your squat.
    they improve your squat?? if so i think i need to start doing them

  14. #14
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394

    Quote Originally Posted by wilwn View Post
    those are regular hyperextensions. reverse hypers are just the...reverse. you anchor your upper body, and you extend your legs. they work your entire posterior chain. i love this exercise. it would definitely help your squat and deadlift. louie simmons also swears by it as a form of rehabilitation for your back.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIP-c1IUbR0
    Yeah I know that's a normal hyper exten. but Richie was asking in a previous post for a pic of a "normal" one

  15. #15
    I enjoy SkyDiving
    ELITE MEMBER
    Plateau_Max's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    868
    Rep Points
    4631155

    Is there really any point to doing reverse hyperextensions other than to help alleviate the often improper posture and movement most people exhibit doing the normal ones?

    I guess what I'm trying to ask is... does it work slightly different muscle groups and any more effictively? I mean all you're doing is putting the load on the ankles instead of the upper torso and performing the same movement.
    "Years of hard work for only a single moment of perfection is a worthy trade." - Myself

  16. #16
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,535
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    Normal hyperextensions shouldn't put your spine through flexion and extension either. Really, regular hyperextensions should "target" your glutes too, but most people do them improperly.
    Once again, i am hard time picturing this.. I cant see a hyperextension being done without a flex or extension of the spine, hence the name.

    Are you describing a movement that has a much smaller ROM?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  17. #17
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Once again, i am hard time picturing this.. I cant see a hyperextension being done without a flex or extension of the spine, hence the name.

    Are you describing a movement that has a much smaller ROM?
    You will probably have a smaller ROM unless you have very mobile hips. Imagine a Romanian deadlift: does your spine flex and extend? No, it stays neutral (Hopefully). The motion is about the hips. Same idea with hyperextensions.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  18. #18
    Registered User
    fUnc17's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    1,857
    Rep Points
    195351

    Quote Originally Posted by Plateau_Max View Post
    Is there really any point to doing reverse hyperextensions other than to help alleviate the often improper posture and movement most people exhibit doing the normal ones?

    I guess what I'm trying to ask is... does it work slightly different muscle groups and any more effictively? I mean all you're doing is putting the load on the ankles instead of the upper torso and performing the same movement.
    They are 2 entirely different movements. Reverse hypers are an explosive excersise that target your posterior chain, mainly the glutes.
    www.monmouthkettlebells.blogspot.com
    AJ Oliva RKC, FMS
    Central NJ

  19. #19
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,535
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    You will probably have a smaller ROM unless you have very mobile hips. Imagine a Romanian deadlift: does your spine flex and extend? No, it stays neutral (Hopefully). The motion is about the hips. Same idea with hyperextensions.
    Ok I can picture it now. I was thinking about head movement and such, along with extension...which I may see more than flexion.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  20. #20
    Registered User
    wilwn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    28418

    Quote Originally Posted by katt View Post
    Yeah I know that's a normal hyper exten. but Richie was asking in a previous post for a pic of a "normal" one
    whoops, sorry.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
  2. Hyper Growth Formula?
    By paulsed1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
  3. Syntrax X-Factor, Hyper-H
    By nelson6357 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 06:06 PM
  4. hyper thyroid
    By hyper23 in forum General Health & Awareness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 11:52 PM
  5. Reverse Hyper
    By tucker01 in forum Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->