• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Allergic Reaction?

MCx2

Señor Member
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Last night about 40 minutes after my PWO shake, I noticed that my throat, my inner ears, my eyes, and my sinuses were extremely itchy. In a few more minutes my throat felt like it was closing up, there was a noticable difference in my voice, and my sinuses were extremely clogged. Then I started getting a pain like indigestion in my chest, my stomach was in knots, and I was having minor difficulty breathing. I ended up taking some benedryl and passing out. I still have some stomach discomfort today but I feel a ton better.

I've had a reaction like this before, not quite to this extent, but the only thing I could link it to was the whey I was using. So I started using a more expensive whey and it didn't happen again. Then I bought some cheaper stuff this time, used it a few times and I was fine, but last night I had a wicked reaction after taking it. Is this just coincidence because I didn't have a reaction for a few days taking it, or could there be something in "cheaper" whey products that I am allergic to? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Does sound like an allergy reaction. Hmm.

Type of whey: isolate, concentrate or blend?

What else is in the whey products?

What else do you add to your shakes?

Have you tried using rice or oat bran or EVO oil to slow down whey absorption and blunt this effect?

Any personal or family history of asthma? Food or seasonal allergies? GI problems?

Does sound like an allergy reaction. Hmm.

Type of whey: isolate, concentrate or blend?

What else is in the whey products?

What else do you add to your shakes?

Have you tried using rice or oat bran or EVO oil to slow down whey absorption and blunt this effect?

Any personal or family history of asthma? Food or seasonal allergies? GI problems?

I can't find on the web site if it's isolate or conentrate but it's Cytosport's Complete Whey. I mix it with water and add 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats to it. No history of asthma, food or seasonal allergies, or GI problems for me or the family.

When I was using BSN's Syntha-6 which I believe is a blend, I had no problems. And I don't have problems every time I use the Cytosport, just last night, but like I said before, I've had a similar experience with other wheys just not to this extreme.

It is a concentrate and a hydrosolate

Don't quote me I think hydrosolates are digested more, or have shorter protein strands and are absorbed more quickly

Ingredients: Special Ultrafiltered, Non-Denatured, Ultra High Quality Whey Protein Concentrate; Pre-Digested, Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Hydrolysate; Natural and Artificial Vanilla Flavors, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Short and long chains of amino acids bonded together by a selective hydrolysate process present the essential nutrient

Publicity doubespeak. There is no 'bonding together'. Idiot PR guy. Hydrosylate refers to partial or nearly total digestion using a combination of enzymes / heat processing (newer processes are low temp).

It packs 13g of glutamine per serving and another 8 grams of alanine and arginine. I'd say it probably has potential for a little CNS ramping.

What other supplements do you use.

The stuffy nose is consistent with a GI induced immune response. I would say that the dose of excitatory amino acids must have been high enough to cause a reaction (esp if you used a double serving, given its relatively puny protein content, I bet you did).

I'd say that you are experiencing some of the side effects reported by others. This would appear to be (notice my hedging) to be related to glutamine/alanine/arginine content. It varies among whey products.

What am I saying here?

Your whey product: 13g glutamine/18g protein.

My why product: 26g glutamine/100g protein. (mine is also a blend. Probolic SR)

Get my drift here?

Company has enriched their product in glutamine. You and MANY others are sensitive to excess glutamine. In the stomach, its oxidized to the acid form.

Other Syntha 6 Ingredients:
A sustained release ultra-premium protein matrix comprised of (ultra-filtereed whey protein concentrate, milk) rich in lactalbumin, microfiltered whey protein isolate (milk) rich in whey isolate peptide fractions, calcium caseinate, micellar alpha and beta caseinates (milk), milk protein isolate (milk), and egg albumen (egg), glutamine peptides), richmix sunflower powder, Litesse II Polydextrose, natural and artificial flavors, nutrisperse MCT powder, cellulose gum, natural vegetable color, sucralose (splenda), acesulfame potassium, lecithin soy, aminogen, and papain.

^^ this sucker is loaded with glutamine as well.

Solution: cut back on the oats and consume a slightly smaller dose of whey product, add oat bran or rice bran plus a little EVO oil instead. Test it, come back and report.

I believe this will reduce your problem and allow you to use the rest of this product up, before replacing it with a more moderate glutamine content whey.

PS: glutamate makes my heart beat hard, another CNS reaction. If I have it within a period of about 20 min of using CEE, it can cause gastric upset if the whey has milk product fats (muscle milk).

Last night about 40 minutes after my PWO shake, I noticed that my throat, my inner ears, my eyes, and my sinuses were extremely itchy.

That must be horrible, you are itchy only in places you cant scratch.

IML Gear Cream!
Actually I notice I get a similiar reaction when I eat fruit. Particularly sliced peaches...

My throat, mouth, and lips get itchy. If I have any open sores in my mouth from biting the inside of my cheeks, they swell too.

Ingredients: Special Ultrafiltered, Non-Denatured, Ultra High Quality Whey Protein Concentrate; Pre-Digested, Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Hydrolysate; Natural and Artificial Vanilla Flavors, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Publicity doubespeak. There is no 'bonding together'. Idiot PR guy. Hydrosylate refers to partial or nearly total digestion using a combination of enzymes / heat processing (newer processes are low temp).

It packs 13g of glutamine per serving and another 8 grams of alanine and arginine. I'd say it probably has potential for a little CNS ramping.

What other supplements do you use.

The stuffy nose is consistent with a GI induced immune response. I would say that the dose of excitatory amino acids must have been high enough to cause a reaction (esp if you used a double serving, given its relatively puny protein content, I bet you did).

I'd say that you are experiencing some of the side effects reported by others. This would appear to be (notice my hedging) to be related to glutamine/alanine/arginine content. It varies among whey products.

What am I saying here?

Your whey product: 13g glutamine/18g protein.

My why product: 26g glutamine/100g protein. (mine is also a blend. Probolic SR)

Get my drift here?

Company has enriched their product in glutamine. You and MANY others are sensitive to excess glutamine. In the stomach, its oxidized to the acid form.

Other Syntha 6 Ingredients:
A sustained release ultra-premium protein matrix comprised of (ultra-filtereed whey protein concentrate, milk) rich in lactalbumin, microfiltered whey protein isolate (milk) rich in whey isolate peptide fractions, calcium caseinate, micellar alpha and beta caseinates (milk), milk protein isolate (milk), and egg albumen (egg), glutamine peptides), richmix sunflower powder, Litesse II Polydextrose, natural and artificial flavors, nutrisperse MCT powder, cellulose gum, natural vegetable color, sucralose (splenda), acesulfame potassium, lecithin soy, aminogen, and papain.

^^ this sucker is loaded with glutamine as well.

Solution: cut back on the oats and consume a slightly smaller dose of whey product, add oat bran or rice bran plus a little EVO oil instead. Test it, come back and report.

I believe this will reduce your problem and allow you to use the rest of this product up, before replacing it with a more moderate glutamine content whey.

PS: glutamate makes my heart beat hard, another CNS reaction. If I have it within a period of about 20 min of using CEE, it can cause gastric upset if the whey has milk product fats (muscle milk).

Thank you so much for the help! More than I hoped for. I think you answered 2 questions for me actually. The only other supps I take are a multi, and CEE. Yesterday was the first time I had worked out since buying the new whey and I noticed I was beat red and sweating like a pig through my whole workout, far more than usual.

Now I know what to look for when shopping for whey, that's for sure!

I will try the shake with some EVO oil and pick up some oat bran for now (since I'm sitting on 5 lbs of this whey) and see how I feel. Thanks again! :)

I noticed I was beat red and sweating like a pig through my whole workout, far more than usual.

Yes sir, symptoms consistent with the vasodilation action of arginine, which also increases the skin thermal sensing. That would make you sweat as well.

I try to find a whey blend that has a healthy dose of BCAAs. You might consider it as a comparative factor when shopping the next time for your whey.

Glad to be of assistance.

SORRY to reserect an old thread.

I am having some of the same responses as he author of this thread.

I have read and I am looking online right now but when trouble says " adding 2 TBSP of oat bran or rice bran fiber to whey shakes that will help blunt the response and help repopulate the gut" is she talking about regular oat bran or products like this

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=620

I usually have my shakes as part of my P+F meals so wouldn't adding oat bran fiber spike insulin? ( which is not what we want with P+F meals).

as always I look forward to troubles enlightening solutions for these probs.

Back