• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

what motivates a man to be anti-gun?

clemson357

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] The Anti-gun Male

By

Julia Gorin

LET'S be honest. He's scared of the thing. That's understandable --
so am I. But as a girl I have the luxury of being able to admit it. I
don't have to masquerade squeamishness as grand principle-in the
interest of mankind, no less.

A man does. He has to say things like "One Taniqua Hall is one too
many," as a New York radio talk show host did in referring to the
9-year old New York girl who was accidentally shot last year by her
12-year old cousin playing with his uncle's gun. But the truth is he
desperately needs Taniqua Hall, just like he needs as many Columbines
and Santees as can be mustered, until they spell an end to the Second
Amendment. And not for the benefit of the masses, but for the benefit
of his self-esteem.

He often accuses men with guns of "compensating for something." The
truth is quite the reverse. After all, how is he supposed to feel
knowing there are men out there who aren't intimidated by the big bad
inanimate villain? How is he to feel in the face of adolescent boys
who have used the family gun effectively in defending the family from
an armed intruder? So if he can't touch a gun, he doesn't want other
men to be able to either. And to achieve his ends, he'll use the only
weapon he knows how to manipulate: the law.

Of course, sexual and psychological insecurities don't account for
ALL men against guns. Certainly there must be some whose motives are
pure, who perhaps do care so much as to tirelessly look for policy
solutions to teenage void and aggressiveness, and to parent and
teacher negligence. But for a potentially large underlying
contributor, psycho-sexual inadequacy has gone unexplored and
unacknowledged. It's one thing to not be comfortable with a firearm
and therefore opt to not keep or bear one. But it's another to impose
the same handicap onto others.

People are suspicious of what they do not know -- and not only does
this man not know how to use a gun, he doesn't know the men who do,
or the number of people who have successfully used one to defend
themselves from injury or death. But he is better left in the dark;
his life is hard enough knowing there are men out there who don't sit
cross-legged. That they're able to handle a firearm instead of being
handled by it would be too much to bear.

Such a man is also best kept huddled in urban centers, where he feels
safer than he might if thrown out on his own into a rural setting, in
an isolated house on a quiet street where he would feel naked and
helpless. Lacking the confidence that would permit him to be
sequestered in sparseness, and lacking a gun, he finds comfort in the
cloister of crowds.

The very ownership of a gun for defense of home and family implies
some assertiveness and a certain self-reliance. But if our man kept a
gun in the house, and an intruder broke in and started attacking his
wife in front of him, he wouldn't be able to later say, "He had a
knife -- there was nothing I could do!" Passively watching in horror
while already trying to make peace with the violent act, scheduling a
therapy session and forgiving the perpetrator before the attack is
even finished wouldn't be the option it otherwise is.

No. Better to emasculate all men. Because let's face it: He's a
lover, not a fighter. And he doesn't want to get shot in case he has
an affair with your wife.

Of course, it wouldn't be completely honest not to admit that owning
a firearm carries with it some risk to unintended targets. That's the
tradeoff with a gun: The right to defend one's life and way of life
isn't without peril to oneself. And the last thing this man wants to
do is risk his life -- if even to save it. For he is guided by a
dread fear for his life, and has more confidence in almost anyone
else's ability to protect him than his own, preferring to place
himself at the mercy of the villain or in the sporadically competent
hands of authorities (his line of defense consisting of locks, alarm
systems, reasoning with the attacker, calling the police or, should
fighting back occur to him, thrashing a heavy vase).

In short, he is a man begging for subjugation. He longs for its
promise of equality in helplessness. Because only when that strange,
independent alpha breed of male is helpless along with him will he
feel adequate. Indeed, his freedom lies in this other man's
containment.
[/FONT]

There are 3 types of people...

1)Those who feel they have the right to possess a weapon that fires 100 rounds in 10 seconds.

2)Those who feel all guns should be banned.

3)Intelligent people who fall somewhere in the middle.

I see no problem with having rifles to hunt, handguns to protect oneself, and a collection of old guns as a hobby. I don't think some retarded hillbilly having the ability to split a deer in half with a single squeeze of the trigger is intelligent or necessary.

1)Those who feel they have the right to possess a weapon that fires 100 rounds in 10 seconds.

I see no problem with having rifles to hunt, handguns to protect oneself, and a collection of old guns as a hobby. I don't think some retarded hillbilly having the ability to split a deer in half with a single squeeze of the trigger is intelligent or necessary.
Good post, I agree with you.

I have always had an interest in guns and knives. I know a lot of gun collectors who are into purchasing assault rifles, class three firearms and accessories (such as sound supressors). Although I think they are cool, I have thought it was necessary for anyone to own these things (especially novelty items like the UZI; however I can understand the desire to own an H&K MP5). The fact that there are a lot of chemically unbalanced psychos ready to snap at any moment out there, I would feel more comfortable knowing assault rifles would be harder for them to obtain.

Good post, I agree with you.

I have always had an interest in guns and knives. I know a lot of gun collectors who are into purchasing assault rifles, class three firearms and accessories (such as sound supressors). Although I think they are cool, I have thought it was necessary for anyone to own these things (especially novelty items like the UZI; however I can understand the desire to own an H&K MP5). The fact that there are a lot of chemically unbalanced psychos ready to snap at any moment out there, I would feel more comfortable knowing assault rifles would be harder for them to obtain.

Ditto, bring back the Brady Bill. Several of my relativles own rifles, I'm not against them. Just that gun laws now are a joke.

A chemically unbalanced person will kill you with a yard light or his/her bare hands, I think the gov. is just trying to one up us, they always are thats the way politics revolve. The American revolution what was one of the top points of discussion of the fore-fathers "The right to bear arms" because once the government has them all and we have none the wrong person can hold you at bay and their beck and call...it's all very simple really.

Ditto, bring back the Brady Bill.

Oh yeah, that would work great.:rolleyes: How MANY times do you see the areas with the least gun control, have the lowest crime and the most gun control the highest crimes? Hmmm, DC?
You obviously speak from which you have heard others, because more gun control does nothing.
Anyone remember when the republicans took control of the house and congress back when Clinton was in office? You know why that was? Because of gun control issues they so stupidly try to push through. Clinton has always said that cost the dems control.
I also think that they are ready to push through new gun control issues over the next two years. Idiots.
Great post Manic.

Ditto, bring back the Brady Bill. Several of my relativles own rifles, I'm not against them. Just that gun laws now are a joke.
Now hold up friend, how in the world do you think the Brady Bill is going to stop criminals frmo obtaining firearms? It sure as hell didn't work the first time!!

Statistically speaking statistics are bullshit. The average Texan owns four guns, statistically speaking. In order to produce such a statistic the Texans who do own a gun need to own way more than four guns just to make up for the people in who no guns. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more. Many of us have a permit to tote one around with us. I was sitting with a law enforcement officer discussing the effects of the laws allowing people to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas. HE then stood up and asked everyone who was legally carrying a handgun to raise his or her hand. LOL ... out of the 18 people in the business ... one of the national coffee franchises ... 8 of us raised our hands. 3 were women. Now picture some whackjob trying to go postal in that particular coffee shop at that particular moment in time. Not.

Crimes against the individual are down. Car jackings, muggings, rapes, even murders are down here since we passed the laws allowing ourselves to carry a gun. We felt that since the crooks were going to have guns no matter what laws were put in place we should be able to protect our families against them.

Now if we could just get that wall between Texas and Mexico built ... :thinking:

This post is 100% dead-on balls accurate.:thumb:

The fact that there are a lot of chemically unbalanced psychos ready to snap at any moment out there, I would feel more comfortable knowing assault rifles would be harder for them to obtain.

You've got two problems there:

1) You can't just look at a person and tell if he/she's getting ready to snap. Shit's gonna happen. Your only hope is if you're prepared to deal with it when it does. That means taking responsibility for your own protection.

2) Who gets to define what an assault rifle is? Feinstein, Boxer, Kennedy, Schumer, etc? That's a pretty scary proposition.

IML Gear Cream!
Oh yeah, that would work great.:rolleyes: How MANY times do you see the areas with the least gun control, have the lowest crime and the most gun control the highest crimes? Hmmm, DC?
You obviously speak from which you have heard others, because more gun control does nothing.
Anyone remember when the republicans took control of the house and congress back when Clinton was in office? You know why that was? Because of gun control issues they so stupidly try to push through. Clinton has always said that cost the dems control.
I also think that they are ready to push through new gun control issues over the next two years. Idiots.
Great post Manic.

Manic,BoneCrusher and dg806,I agree 100%.My family hunts and we own firearms,no one in the area we live in has broken into our house or stolen gas from our cars nothing.We don't threaten people with guns or violence but they are going to be more hesitant about breaking into our house knowing we are armed,they are going to break into someplace that isn't as dangerous.In short this isn't my family but population in it's entirety.Are you going to rob a place that is going to be full of armed men or someplace thats not.Why should I loose my firearms by law,and a criminal who plans to kill someone doesn't give a rats ass if he gets as illegal gun to do it with.Criminals in short will always have access,banning them only takes them out of honest peoples hands others will easily obtain them.Fuck,just put some thought into it!

Gun ownership is a constitutional right. It is up to the legislature and the courts to determine how far that goes.

Remember that no constitutional right is absolute--life, liberty, property, the pursuit of happiness, free expression---all of that has legislative or judicially imposed limits. Same thing goes for gun ownership.

However, I find the article Clemson posted to be a bit demeaning. The author sets up a straw man argument and then emasculates the straw man.

The author is like Dale's example #1 and she's taking on example #2.

Problem numero uno; people don't put thought into it. They approach the subject on a purely emotional level.

I think too often people fear guns because they haven't been around them while growing up and assume they are evil.I don't prefer them because my family does,I can make my own decisions and feel safer with them.Individuals who have had family shot and murdered often blame guns but thats not fair.If I kill someone with a bat are we going to ban baseball.If I run over someone why don't why stop people from driving cars.It isn't fair to say these crimes are the fault of a gun.A gun is a device that requires human intelligence to be used.I know alot of people have lost loved ones but banning firearms isn't the fix.

Lets get a little freaky here. Just for the sake of the thread and to explore the wide angle view a bit. There is a show on now called Jericho. Now check out something that was not in the news lately but should of been ... American Hiroshima. We all need to be aware of the world we live in. Do we need to put tin-foil on the windows to keep the radio waves from melting our brains? Nah ... but if the leaders of the people this country's leaders have set us to war with have the desire and the potential to pull a Jericho on us it is our responsibility to prepare ourselves for the unlikely event.

Again this is just a little walk on the freaky side but if this were to happen who you gonna call? I know most of you will be tooooo lazy to follow the links I posted and are just gonne see this as a bunch of :blah::blah::blah: ... but to those of you who do read the interview by Hamid Mir what do you see as your moral and civil rights?

Worked better than it does now...

Funny how many police in the past 7 years have come out pro-gun control...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/425044.stm

That particular "America's Police Chief" is the head of the most para-military police force in the country with the least amount of respect for the rights of the people it is bound to serve and protect of any city in the nation. Not to mention that Clinton did massive work to promote gun control laws by funding and demanding support from police leadership.

Ok....

For starters... it DIDN'T work then and it won't work now. Until you lock down the borders and declare all-out war on gun smugglers - there will always be assault weapons and handguns in the posession of criminals.

Your source is not only British but incredibly biased. The BBC has long been an outstanding critic of our 2nd ammendment. I figure they're still pissed about getting their asses kicked in the Revolutionary War by armed citizens.

They (the British) instituted extreme Gun Control measures back in 1997. I remember it well. No one was permitted to own ANY sort of fire-arm. All U.S. Service Personnel were warned to ship their personal firearms back stateside lest they be forced to surrender them. There was a mass collections of all sorts of firearms. Peoples private collections were forced from them and melted down into scrap. Vintage weapons from centuries past were destroyed. It was sad.

That particular "America's Police Chief" is the head of the most para-military police force in the country with the least amount of respect for the rights of the people it is bound to serve and protect of any city in the nation. Not to mention that Clinton did massive work to promote gun control laws by funding and demanding support from police leadership.
Thanks for pointing this out. I forgot to address Good ole Bernard parks in my previous response.

This guy is nuts... but you covered it well.

Ok....

For starters... it DIDN'T work then and it won't work now. Until you lock down the borders and declare all-out war on gun smugglers - there will always be assault weapons and handguns in the posession of criminals.

Your source is not only British but incredibly biased. The BBC has long been an outstanding critic of our 2nd ammendment. I figure they're still pissed about getting their asses kicked in the Revolutionary War by armed citizens.

They (the British) instituted extreme Gun Control measures back in 1997. I remember it well. No one was permitted to own ANY sort of fire-arm. All U.S. Service Personnel were warned to ship their personal firearms back stateside lest they be forced to surrender them. There was a mass collections of all sorts of firearms. Peoples private collections were forced from them and melted down into scrap. Vintage weapons from centuries past were destroyed. It was sad.

Don't worry Wit, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about this topic and I'm not going to be blindly biased on one side or the other. Having said that, Brady Bill or not, I still think we need harsher gun laws. No reason why assault rifles should be purchasable.

IML Gear Cream!

Cute statement. Completely void of any facts, but cute.:rolleyes:

It's not funny at all. It's a VERY old statistic that again, shows nothing. Police chiefs have always been in favor of gun control because they're politicians. They support whatever they think will get them re-elected. If you want the truth, ask regular police officers how they feel about gun control. A VAST majority of actual working cops say it's worse than worthless, it's dangerous. They know full well they can't respond to an emergency in time to protect the innocent victim. It's up to the general public to defend themselves and then let the police fill out the paperwork a couple of hours later when they finally arrive.

The Brady Bill was nothing but a bunch of political opportunists who had no morals what-so-ever using a tragedy to promote their political agenda. It did absolutely NOTHING to curb violence and it kept NO guns out of the hands of criminals.

Cute statement. Completely void of any facts, but cute.:rolleyes:

It's not funny at all. It's a VERY old statistic that again, shows nothing. Police chiefs have always been in favor of gun control because they're politicians. They support whatever they think will get them re-elected. If you want the truth, ask regular police officers how they feel about gun control. A VAST majority of actual working cops say it's worse than worthless, it's dangerous. They know full well they can't respond to an emergency in time to protect the innocent victim. It's up to the general public to defend themselves and then let the police fill out the paperwork a couple of hours later when they finally arrive.

The Brady Bill was nothing but a bunch of political opportunists who had no morals what-so-ever using a tragedy to promote their political agenda. It did absolutely NOTHING to curb violence and it kept NO guns out of the hands of criminals.

:callme:

My last point left me open to points, not an argument. :)

Don't worry Wit, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about this topic and I'm not going to be blindly biased on one side or the other. Having said that, Brady Bill or not, I still think we need harsher gun laws. No reason why assault rifles should be purchasable.

#1 If you do some research you'll see that the existing gun controls laws, IF ENFORCED, would almost completely eliminated gun violence by criminals. No additional laws are needed. Simply enforce the ones that are already on the books.

#2 Define what an assault rifle is and list how many times they've been used in crimes. You'll see your concern is grossly misplaced.

#1 If you do some research you'll see that the existing gun controls laws, IF ENFORCED, would almost completely eliminated gun violence by criminals. No additional laws are needed. Simply enforce the ones that are already on the books.

#2 Define what an assault rifle is and list how many times they've been used in crimes. You'll see your concern is grossly misplaced.

Limited usage or not, I still don't see a place for them in the public.

Limited usage or not, I still don't see a place for them in the public.

And that's a reason to make something illegal? What's the highest speed limit in the country? Why does anybody need an automobile that can go faster than that? Expecially considering that automobiles kill far greater numbers of people than guns to do every year.

Please don't take this as a slam, it's not meant to be. Just because YOU don't see a need for something shouldn't be a criteria for it being made illegal. I happen to own a couple of very expensive rifles that would definitely be considered assault rifles. I have a great deal of fun with them going to organized matches and pitting my long range rifle skills against other shooters. So there's definitely a place for them in the public.

And that's a reason to make something illegal? What's the highest speed limit in the country? Why does anybody need an automobile that can go faster than that? Expecially considering that automobiles kill far greater numbers of people than guns to do every year.

Please don't take this as a slam, it's not meant to be. Just because YOU don't see a need for something shouldn't be a criteria for it being made illegal. I happen to own a couple of very expensive rifles that would definitely be considered assault rifles. I have a great deal of fun with them going to organized matches and pitting my long range rifle skills against other shooters. So there's definitely a place for them in the public.

The intent of a car is transportation, the intent of a gun is to shoot something. If you take alcohol out of the equation for both, one is meant to kill, the other to get people places. I suppose a case could be made for both in sport, but I don't know of any sport that uses assault rifles.

Also, "just because someone doesn't see a need for something doesn't mean it should be illegal" can be used for anything. That is what the gov't is for.

The intent of a car is transportation, the intent of a gun is to shoot something. If you take alcohol out of the equation for both, one is meant to kill, the other to get people places. I suppose a case could be made for both in sport, but I don't know of any sport that uses assault rifles.

To this I would reply, so what? I don't mean to sound flippant, but really, so what? The INTENT means nothing when tens or hundreds of thousands of people are getting killed. With or without alcohol, that's exactly what is happening with automobiles and I don't hear anyone calling for them to be made illegal.

P.S. I know of quite a few sports that use assault rifles. I already gave one example.;)

Also, "just because someone doesn't see a need for something doesn't mean it should be illegal" can be used for anything. That is what the gov't is for.

I agree on a certain level, but absolutely disagree when that argument is used by the government to make something illegal. "We just don't see a need for it." That's complete bullshit.:finger:

To this I would reply, so what? I don't mean to sound flippant, but really, so what? The INTENT means nothing when tens or hundreds of thousands of people are getting killed. With or without alcohol, that's exactly what is happening with automobiles and I don't hear anyone calling for them to be made illegal.

P.S. I know of quite a few sports that use assault rifles. I already gave one example.;)

I agree on a certain level, but absolutely disagree when that argument is used by the government to make something illegal. "We just don't see a need for it." That's complete bullshit.:finger:

Yeah, but the gov't doesn't see a need for murder, or drug use, or hate crimes, I don't see it as a valid reason not to make something illegal. My point with the car is that it has a productive intent, a gun does not. I agree that there is no need for a car that goes more than the speed limit, though, I'm not a big fan of cars. Intent does matter, if it didn't, there would be no difference between Saddam and GW Bush.

Yeah, but the gov't doesn't see a need for murder, or drug use, or hate crimes, I don't see it as a valid reason not to make something illegal. My point with the car is that it has a productive intent, a gun does not. I agree that there is no need for a car that goes more than the speed limit, though, I'm not a big fan of cars. Intent does matter, if it didn't, there would be no difference between Saddam and GW Bush.
I'm hoping you see the absolute lunacy in this comparison? I mean, come on, Dale!

That's like saying Condoms should be illegal because sexual assault is illegal.

Yeah, but the gov't doesn't see a need for murder, or drug use, or hate crimes, I don't see it as a valid reason not to make something illegal.

What? Are you drunk? Seriously, what are you talking about?

We are granted certain rights. The government is in place to PROTECT those rights, not take them away. For the government to step in and take away any of our rights it's supposed to have a damn good reason.

My point with the car is that it has a productive intent, a gun does not. I agree that there is no need for a car that goes more than the speed limit, though, I'm not a big fan of cars. Intent does matter, if it didn't, there would be no difference between Saddam and GW Bush.

A gun certainly does have a productive intent. You may not like what that intent is, but it sure is productive when you need it.

Back