• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

are omega 3 in fish ruined if cooked

thisiswut

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Since omega 3 are polyunsaturated fatty acids, are they ruined if they are heated?

Thus any fish (salmon) that is fried or baked or cooked in almost any way will thus have ruined omega 3 fats.

True or false?

Also, besides the inuit and eskimo populations (who often eat raw fish), do any ethnic or cultural groups in history get adaquate amounts of omega 3 in their diets? DHA not ALA.

Just curious.

I would assume how it is cooked and time of cooking would have an impact. But from what I could find, there was no impact on n3 from cooking

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=15291510

Effects of different cooking procedures on lipid quality and cholesterol oxidation of farmed salmon fish (Salmo salar).
Institute of Nutritional Sciences, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, 1090 Vienna, Austria.
Salmon fillets were steamed, or pan-fried without oil, with olive oil, with corn oil, or with partially hydrogenated plant oil. The exchange between the salmon and the pan-frying oils was marginal, but it was detectable as slight modifications in the fatty acid pattern and the tocopherol contents according to the oil used. Primary and secondary oxidation products were only slightly increased or remained unchanged, which indicated a slight lipid oxidation effect due to the heating procedures applied. The same was observed for tocopherol levels, which remained almost stable and were not affected by the oxidation process. The sum of cholesterol oxidation products (COPs) increased after the heating processes from 0.9 microg/g in the raw sample to 6.0, 4.0, 4.4, 3.3, and 9.9 microg/g extracted fat in pan-fried without oil, with olive oil, corn oil, partially hydrogenated plant oil, and steamed, respectively. A highly significant correlation was found between the fatty acid pattern and the total amount of COPs (r2 = 0.973, p < 0.001). No change has been determined in the n-3 fatty acids content and in the polyunsaturated/saturated-ratio of the cooked salmon fillets. Moderate pan-frying (6 min total) and steaming (12 min) of salmon did not accelerate lipid oxidation but significantly increased the content of COPs. The highest increase of COPs was found through steaming, mainly due to the longer heat exposure. The used frying oils did not influence the outcome; no significant difference between heat treatment with or without oil has been determined.
PMID: 15291510 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mediterranian culture was know for a decent n3 intake. I am sure most costal cultures would have has decent n3 intake.

Lots of people steam fish.

Fish like Tuna for instance should be cooked to a medium rare.

I cook my fish on the foreman.

Messy but nothing like it.

Back