Divine Nutrition

Sore lower abdominal muscle

Rep Points

Sore lower abdominal muscle

For the past two months I've had soreness in my lower stomach area. Mostly on the left side but sometimes I feel soreness on the right side.

The pain is not sharp, when I don't move I don't really feel anything. Sometimes when I lift really heavy objects I can feel more of pain but nothing too bad.

It usually feels good when I put icy hot on it or put a heating pad on it.

I have been told from Dr's and read online that a muscle strain in my lower abdominal muscle can take quite a while to heal because you have to really try and rest the muscle. The biggest problem with me is I've been unable to do that. I'm on my feet everyday for work, (dont have two days off in a row) lifting heavy objects and twising and turning a lot. So I guess it could make sense that it is still sore.

I've been tested probably 5-6 times for a hernia by several surgeons and doctors and they dont see any signs of a hernia. They have even tested me in my igenial (sp?) canal and say they dont feel any holes.
    I've also had an ultra sound done on my testicles and there is no sign of cancer. I've also had my urine checked for infection-negative.

In a month I will be doing a different job and basically won't be lifting heavy objects or moving a lot. A lot easier physical job so I may heal better then.

I'm posting here because i'm sure some of you have experience the same type of soreness as me and I was hoping to hear any helpful information.

How long were you sore?
    Any exercises to help me stretch the muscle out?

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I wouldn't strain it anymore than neccesary and I would take a long period of off time to let it repair itself, trust me I refused to let an injury get me out of the lifting game and have now been out of the game for over a year so even a few months will be well worth the wait cause if you try to be tough you'll end up like me on pain killers for a year and severely depressed.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    I wouldn't strain it anymore than neccesary and I would take a long period of off time to let it repair itself, trust me I refused to let an injury get me out of the lifting game and have now been out of the game for over a year so even a few months will be well worth the wait cause if you try to be tough you'll end up like me on pain killers for a year and severely depressed.
    Did you have the same type of injury as what I have?

So basically it makes sense why I'm still sore if i'm still lifting heavy objects and moving around a lot more then the average person on the job? I just tend to worry more since its been 2 months. I know 5 doctors have told me I didn't have a hernia but i can't help but wonder if they are all wrong ya know? Thanks for your reply.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I tore some oblique and abdominal muscles last week.

I didn't train for two weeks at all. Then I trained only upper body exercises where I was supported (like bench press, incline bench press, no overhead stuff). After a week of that I was okay to add back in some light leg work.

It depends on the severity of the tear. I would try and rest as much as possible.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

Would you say you're more likely to re-injure yourself in that area if you haven't fully recovered?

Reason I ask is because I took a few days off from work and I was really starting to feel better. But then I went back to work and it got bad again, basically like I started back from the beginning. I dont know if it was because I just didnt feel soreness because I wasn't moving a lot when I was off or if it actually was getting better.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerblue View Post
    Did you have the same type of injury as what I have?

So basically it makes sense why I'm still sore if i'm still lifting heavy objects and moving around a lot more then the average person on the job? I just tend to worry more since its been 2 months. I know 5 doctors have told me I didn't have a hernia but i can't help but wonder if they are all wrong ya know? Thanks for your reply.
    Mines worse, it's a back injury and 6 doctors have yet to pinpoint what is exactly wrong but it feels bone deep I hope it's not cancer or anything I have nightmares that thats what it is and all of the doctors have been looking for herniated discs, bone spurs, etc. right now I am seeing one of the top neurologists on my island he has helped to alleviate my suffering, but we still have a ways to go as to a diagnosis....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

So just one more time, is there anybody else that can relate an injury in that area to mine?

Rep Points

Re:

I haven't had such injury but from your history and symptoms I would have to agree that it is only a muscle injury and you have to rest it, the only problem is that you use that muscle doing almost everything so you shouldn't be doing any kind of exercises or lifting heavy weights, keep using those hot pads on it and try to take few days off work if possible and REST. It will take longer time because you can't totally not use it as you'll still use the muscle but to a lesser extent so it should heal slowly (physiotherapy could help you here, Doctors know nothing about physiotherapy! and I know that for a fact because I'm a Senior Medical Student and they never taught us anything about physiotherapy except for when to use it in the management plan of some patients!).
    Hope all goes well and sorry if I couldn't be much of help!

BOARD REP

Rep Points

they must of ruled out appendix by your WBC yes? if so its a muscle strain. but who better to get info. from then a senior medical student almost a dr. so i would go with his advice.

all information given is fictional and only for entertainment purposes only. it is legal to use performance enhancement medications where i live. please seek medical advice before using any performance drug, and only if its legal in your country.

Rep Points

subbed

Rep Points

Check the date on this OP guys lol. I appreciate it though. I'll actually give you guys a run down.

Back during that time I went to see a surgeon because it was not getting better. Had a cat scan done and it said no evidence of hernia. However, the surgeon said I had a weak ingueal (sp?) ring. Which means it was allowing more of my insides to protrude the wall. So because it was weak I was more likely to get a hernia. I still have soreness mildly off an on because of this. The surgeon said they could put a patch over it but it was no guarantee they pain would go away as well as a chance it could make it worse. So I never did anything about it. Again, some days I feel sore but for the most part I'd say 95% of the time I feel fine. I might feel a little sore after a work out when those muscles are used. I don't do that heavy lifting for a job anymore so that is a huge plus. I am careful when I lift things because I am more likely to get a hernia because of it being weak. I had a weak ring because I did heavy lifting for several years (3-4 years).

Rep Points

pulled lower abdomen muscle almost 5 years ago now, still hasn't heal, doc say it may never heal becuz u are always using that muscle...suggestions give up weightlifting and take up swimming!!!

Rep Points

Hey if anyone know of something that will heal them ( steroids , surgery , meditation 0 whatever please post

thanks

Rep Points

lower abs

I tried to send you a pm but it wont let me because I am a noob here. My symptoms are EXACTLY as you described. Can you email me so I can find out how you went. I have been sore for about three months. can you email me at pendlebury at hotmail dot com ( using the @ symbol and the .com where I have typed it as it wont let me write that either ) Cheers

Rep Points

I am new hear also, but have basically the same problem, i am not sure if it is abdominal strain or intestine, colon problem. I have had x rays,blood tests , urine,stool samples, and an ultra sound. Everything comes back fine. I too have a physical job. I took three weeks off the gym, but no difference, just trained today. It feels like my ab muscles are contstantly flexed, but mostly left side. Seems alot better if standing instead of sitting or even lying down. Do you guys have any digestion issues. I had really bad gas and cramping,constipation etc,changed my diet added fiber and more water, enzymes etc . Digestion problems are gone but pain is still there. I know its a long shot but im looking into IBS. Hope any of this helps, its been a month an a half and im baffled.

Rep Points

Hey Skinnyman2

I went through or have been goin thru the exact same thing for about 6 years now. I am a poor sleeper so that is complicating my rest and healing. I went to the doctor and had all the same test you have. Cleveland clinic who are supposed to be the best! No such luck, they could not help. Problem is if they cut you again to do some type of repair to the abdominals, the new cut will be a injury in itself!, so they dont do this. I too thought it was an colon issure like I weakened or injured something in there. It seems I have some type of brain gut syndrome going on, because I can make the injury sore just with mental straining and thought. Yeah! sound crazy , but true! Like I said I loved to lift weights and to not be able to for the past 6 years is the worse! I have recently been reading on scar tissue and it seems if you get some type of cross fiber massage it will help remove it and heal the area. Might be my best bet yet. Keep you guys posted!

Rep Points

I think I am having this same problem...I did chin ups woke up the next morning after about 2 hours started having pain on both sides below my well below my belly button. It is now in the left side, sore to touch but no bulge...wondering what this is. It's been about 2 full days now. I will post if it goes away or not.