• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Need some advice on getting started...

WesNathan

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!

I'm a 67 year old type 2 diabetic truck driver, in otherwise very good health. My doc says I have to get more physical excercise. So I've decided to take advantage of the excercise (machines) room that's part of our apartment complex facilities. My goal is to workout 3 times a week. At 6'2"/220lbs, my weight is about right but the distribution is way out of wack (typical beer belly that has to go).

I really don't care about building an award winning body. I don't even know if a guy my age is capable of developing muscle, given the fact that the body has stopped producing growth hormone, testerone, and who knows what else that's probably required. But if a little of that is produced, and I feel better, with more energy, that will suffice. I've also heard that this kind of excercise can re-enable my sex life (i.e. get me hard once in a while).That would make the effort worthwhile by itself!

So I'm going to need some supplements to help the process along. I have great difficulty swallowing pills and capsules, so whatever it is will have to be a powder or liquid. Given their typically hefty cost, two will be about my limit

I'd be interested in your suggestions that will get me the most bang for the buck. Many thanks.

Wes N

I would get a physical from your doctor before starting a workout regime - I did this myself and I'm half your age. It gives peace of mind knowing the blood tests came back ok and everything is good to go before getting into it.

I think you would benefit greatly from light cardio (walking, elyptical). Be conscious of your heart when working out though... you are in that age range where heart attack risk is greater. You can use a heart monitoring watch to try to keep your heartrate in that sweet recommended spot for your age.

The only supplement I'd use is a multi-vitamin, perhaps whey protein, and perhaps fish oil. (but fish oil is a blood thinner....if you take aspirin I'm not sure taking it is a good idea)

Focus on your diet too, eat better foods. Given what you say about yourself establishing a healthy heart and getting rid of your gut might be your primary goals. Building muscle(lifting weights) I think would be secondary, but lifting weights would help towards those other goals.

More than you asked for, but hope it helps!

Before starting any supplements, I would first talk to your doctor. If taking supplements means that much to you, ask him to make a suggestion.

yeah, MD's are very educated on supplements. :bulb:

As far as supps I would recommend the following to start:
  • Multi Vitamin
  • EFAs (essential fatty acids)
  • Whey Protein
At your age a 'test booster' would probably work wonders, of course I would recommend my own: http://www.ironmaglabs.com/anabolic-matrix.php

AMRx also contains DHEA which is another hormone that is very low at your age.

Once you get into a regular work-out program creatine might be beneficial depending on your goals, i.e. for muscle building. There are other supps down the line that would be of help as well, but to start use the three I listed.

yeah, MD's are very educated on supplements. :bulb:

Just incase you didn't notice he has type 2 diabetes. Giving his doctor a label of a product before he takes it could save his life. So maybe they are not educated when it comes to supplements, when it comes to other things such as sugar, it could mean a world of difference.

Truck driver just got back.

Many thanks for all the responses. I'll respond to several of the points made.
1. Just had a thorough cardiac exam, including the treadmill. My heart is A-OK.
2. The type 2 diabetes is barely a bother. Type one, that involves insulin shots, is much more of a concern, but I don't have to deal with that.

My diet is pretty much whatever I feel like eating. My blood sugar is always below 175 and my cholesterol has been coming down steadlly for the past 12 months. And I have a thorough medical exam set for next Thursday. It will include blood work. My doc has been scheduling these about 3 times a year. I suspect he's ringing the register but it doesn't hurt, so why not.
So, healthwise, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

3. The supplements suggested include a multi vitamin (already take that), fish oil/fatty acids (I already take one of the best), and whey. Not sure what whey is, and what it does for the body. But if its a powder I'll take it. Suggestions welcome.

4. What is a 'test booster' Won't mind taking it...just don't know what it's supposed to do.

I have, in the pantry, a 2 pound jar of Amplify (B Lactoglobulin...an "advanced amino acid blend"). Got it at GNC several months ago, when my wife and I thought we were ready to start the excercise thing. The sales person told me that taking this powder (it's chocolate flavored) with water before and after excercise would prevent sore muscles the next day. We did do some excercise that should have produced sore muscles, but that never happened. So it seems to work. Is this stuff OK?

Guess that's it for now. Again, appreciate everybody's comeback. Sorry I'm so late responding.

Wes N

Back