How did I miss this?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Metrosexual
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,369

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    1865421969

    How did I miss this?!

    I make it a point to know something about everything. I mean, I'm not trying to know everything, but how in the hell did I miss the Tongass National Forest?

    It's a freakin' rain forest in Alaska!



    A quote from Wiki:

    "At 17 million acres (69,000 km²), the Tongass National Forest in southeastern Alaska is the largest national forest in the United States. It is a northern temperate rain forest, remote enough to be the home of many species of flora and fauna considered endangered or rare elsewhere. Created in 1907 by President Theodore Roosevelt, it encompasses islands of the Alexander Archipelago, fjords, glaciers, and peaks of the Coastal Range mountains."

    The official website.

    This is incredible.
    Last edited by DOMS; 01-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER
    Little Wing's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Bangor, Maine
    Posts
    37,218

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    199
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    224
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    i've been to the rainforest in puerto rico but never knew there was one in alaska. it's temperate so not what people would expect a rainforest to be but wow. one of my before a die goals is to stand in the heart of a "real" rainforest. the typical tarzan type.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    bio-chem's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Utah
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,206

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Rep Points
    354157982

    holly hell. a rainforest in alaska. global warming must exist!!!

  4. #4
    Metrosexual
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,369

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    1865421969


  5. #5
    Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER
    Little Wing's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Bangor, Maine
    Posts
    37,218

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    199
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    224
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    The Tongass – Alaska’s Rainforest. The temperate rainforest is the rarest ecosystem or biome in the world.

    http://www.sitkawild.org/index.php?o...d=36&Itemid=61

  6. #6
    Metrosexual
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,369

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    1865421969

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
    The Tongass – Alaska’s Rainforest. The temperate rainforest is the rarest ecosystem or biome in the world.

    http://www.sitkawild.org/index.php?o...d=36&Itemid=61
    Yep, this is a temperate rain forest (they kind that you want to visit is called a tropical rain forest).

    Just think, it's a rain forest where, after you've been there, you can still donate blood.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    bio-chem's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Utah
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,206

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Rep Points
    354157982

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Yep, this is a temperate rain forest (they kind that you want to visit is called a tropical rain forest).

    Just think, it's a rain forest where, after you've been there, you can still donate blood.
    nice. my two years in the philippines kind of screwed me over on that

  8. #8
    Metrosexual
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Age
    47
    Posts
    32,369

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    1865421969

    Quote Originally Posted by bio-chem View Post
    nice. my two years in the philippines kind of screwed me over on that
    You were in the Philippines for two years? Cripes! I'm afraid to even read your posts now.

  9. #9
    grrrrrr
    lioness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ~headed to the beach~
    Posts
    497

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    869209

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    I make it a point to know something about everything. I mean, I'm not trying to know everything, but how in the hell did I miss the Tongass National Forest?

    It's a freakin' rain forest in Alaska!

    This is incredible.
    That's a good find!

  10. #10
    grrrrrr
    lioness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ~headed to the beach~
    Posts
    497

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    869209

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post

    A question from Wiki:

    "At 17 million acres (69,000 km²), the Tongass National Forest in southeastern Alaska is the largest national forest in the United States. It is a northern temperate rain forest, remote enough to be the home of many species of flora and fauna considered endangered or rare elsewhere. Created in 1907 by President Theodore Roosevelt, it encompasses islands of the Alexander Archipelago, fjords, glaciers, and peaks of the Coastal Range mountains."

    The official website.

    This is incredible.
    I was just talking about this the other day...I find it quite interesting that back around 1907, Roosevelt had the foresight to set up the National Park System! I mean...come on...HOW could he POSSIBLY have visioned the US to be as populated and abused as it is today.??

    I mean…he created the National Parks back around 1900-1910 I think….to preserve the land for public use!!!!!!!!!

    Did he have a dream or a vision? A higher power? Fate?

    It just makes you wonder...

  11. #11
    Elite Kiki
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    15,393

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    24446775

    It's called global warming son.


  12. #12
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Age
    42
    Posts
    27,056

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points
    1060383366

    Uh duh you never heard of the Banana Belt

    The term banana belt is used humorously for a region with a relatively mild climate, as in Windsor, Ontario with its hot and wet summers, and Victoria, British Columbia and Saltspring Island with its relatively warm winters all claiming to be the banana belt of Canada. Whitehorse, Yukon is referred to being in the Yukon's banana belt.

  13. #13
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Age
    42
    Posts
    27,056

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Rep Points
    1060383366

    Wikipedia Victoria, BC
    Victoria's equable climate has also added to its reputation as the "City of Gardens" . With its mild temperatures and plentiful sunshine, Victoria boasts gardens that are home to many plant species rarely found elsewhere in Canada. Several species of palms, eucalyptus, and even certain varieties of bananas can be seen growing throughout the area's gardens. The city takes pride in the many flowers that bloom during the winter and early spring, including crocuses, daffodils, early-blooming rhododendrons, cherry and plum trees. Every Februrary there is an annual "flower count" in what for the rest of the country and most of the province is still the dead of winter

  14. #14
    Registered User
    bio-chem's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Utah
    Age
    39
    Posts
    9,206

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Rep Points
    354157982

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    You were in the Philippines for two years? Cripes! I'm afraid to even read your posts now.
    dont worry i got a prescription

  15. #15
    Peelosopher
    Crono1000's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,370

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points
    77825371

    Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Uh duh you never heard of the Banana Belt

    The term banana belt is used humorously for a region with a relatively mild climate, as in Windsor, Ontario with its hot and wet summers, and Victoria, British Columbia and Saltspring Island with its relatively warm winters all claiming to be the banana belt of Canada. Whitehorse, Yukon is referred to being in the Yukon's banana belt.
    manicliowned

Similar Threads

  1. MISS BUTT BRAZIL or Miss BUMBUM
    By min0 lee in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM
  2. I did I miss this?!
    By DOMS in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
  3. HIT or Miss
    By Rocco32 in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 09:29 AM
  4. Does anyone miss the NHL?
    By tucker01 in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 02:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2019 IronMag® Bodybuilding Discussion Forums
Google Authenticator verification provided by Two-Factor Authentication (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.