Gym Idiot Sightings 2007

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 481
  1. #1
    Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER
    ponyboy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Running around somewhere
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Points
    4100113

    Gym Idiot Sightings 2007

    First of the year...sigh...trying to work with clients tonight was a nightmare.

    #1) Guy moving from talking on his cell phone to trying to pick up a hot girl to typing in his blackberry to reading a NEWSPAPER at 6:30 AT NIGHT!? He did 3 sets of bicep curls in 15 minutes that I saw.

    #2) People with no idea of space standing in front of every dumbbell rack.

    #3) The group of four douchebags doing cable crossovers for 25 minutes hogging the only double cable stack on that floor. Can't imagine doing a workout with three other guys.

    Any additions?
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

    The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    goandykid's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,374
    Rep Points
    7441633

    I hate when people stand right in front of the rack, or at its ends. The DB rack in my gym is parallel w/ the room and long, so there's only two ways to get on the other side of it, around the top and around the back. People have this fascination w/ standing right in one of these exits, not sure what it is.
    You guys are going to lose. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. " - Gilbert Arenas

  3. #3
    hardazstone


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    10

    This guy at my gym - loads up for squats with 250 kilos - paces around grunts a bit looks real pumped - then drops it to 200 kilos (without doing even 1 rep of 250) starts to squat with about 2 centimeters of range. Buy the way this is the same guy who left his bright pink underwear on the back of the door in the shower - he now has the nickname PINKY!!!
    Dont be afraid to pass out or spew in a gym from total exertion. PUMP IT UP!
    HardAzStone!

  4. #4
    Barbell Ninja
    TheCurse's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dago
    Posts
    786
    Rep Points
    1499192

    just today i had to be kinda mean to a few idiot kids picking up their dumbells then not taking a step, doing curls right in front of the rack while blocking a good range of dumbells with their endless momentum dependant curl routine.
    Still Alive.

  5. #5
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Peeps it's that same time of year ... same shit every year at the gym. The wannabe's will clear out in a weak week or so after they fail miserably at their collective New Year's Resolution to look like Arnold by Feb. It is sooooo fricken annoying though. The lack of experience in the gym shows in the way these guys cut in or snatch your plates without asking if your done.

  6. #6
    HAHAHAHA! Stories like these really make me glad to have a nice home gym in my cellar.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    goandykid's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,374
    Rep Points
    7441633

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    Peeps it's that same time of year ... same shit every year at the gym. The wannabe's will clear out in a weak week or so after they fail miserably at their collective New Year's Resolution to look like Arnold by Feb. It is sooooo fricken annoying though. The lack of experience in the gym shows in the way these guys cut in or snatch your plates without asking if your done.
    Exactly.My gym is a popular one, every January I have to put up w/ gym retardation until they give up in february. The gym ethics arent even complicated yet msot people still fuck up.
    You guys are going to lose. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. " - Gilbert Arenas

  8. #8
    Registered User
    wilwn's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    28418

    these two doing upright rows had way too much weight the bar. by the way they were jerking the weight up, you'd think they were oly lifters.

  9. #9
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    10

    If anyone lives in my area and sees me at the gym tomorrow....rest assure that someone will be talking about me in this thread.

  10. #10
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    If anyone lives in my area and sees me at the gym tomorrow....rest assure that someone will be talking about me in this thread.
    I got a better idea. Read the stickies, STICK TO YOUR GOALS, and still be right here with us next year as we do what we do every year around this time ... piss and moan about the newbies. Of course that would mean you'd have to deal with being a stronger, leaner, sexier you. Sure eating an entire apple pie at bedtime would be a distant memory. So would the free time that gets replaced with updating your diet and your workout routines by doing proper research ... when your not lifting or doing cardio that is. Aaaaannd you should of course be prepared to handle the extra activities you'll finally get around to ... like looooooonger sex.

    So whadya say there Jaha ... ... can you hang out for a year? It'll change your life ...

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
    I got a better idea. Read the stickies, STICK TO YOUR GOALS, and still be right here with us next year as we do what we do every year around this time ... piss and moan about the newbies. Of course that would mean you'd have to deal with being a stronger, leaner, sexier you. Sure eating an entire apple pie at bedtime would be a distant memory. So would the free time that gets replaced with updating your diet and your workout routines by doing proper research ... when your not lifting or doing cardio that is. Aaaaannd you should of course be prepared to handle the extra activities you'll finally get around to ... like looooooonger sex.

    So whadya say there Jaha ... ... can you hang out for a year? It'll change your life ...
    That's the plan. I'm still going to look like a retard though .

    Oh, and I'm married so longer sex? What would I want it to be longer for?

  12. #12
    Empowered
    motiv8ed's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    113
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    That's the plan. I'm still going to look like a retard though .

    Oh, and I'm married so longer sex? What would I want it to be longer for?


    STick your wife on the eliptical for 45 mins a day and update her diet, throw out all the cakes and candies, cut back her allowance so she cant by mcdonnalds.

    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing."
    -Abe Lincoln

  13. #13
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    That's the plan. I'm still going to look like a retard though .

    Oh, and I'm married so longer sex? What would I want it to be longer for?
    ... like motiv8ed said get her in the game.


    Welcome to IM Jaha ... hope to see you around for a long time.

  14. #14
    Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER
    ponyboy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Running around somewhere
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Points
    4100113

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaha View Post
    That's the plan. I'm still going to look like a retard though .

    Oh, and I'm married so longer sex? What would I want it to be longer for?
    Who said it had to be sex with your wife?
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

    The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Doublebase's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    8,299
    Rep Points
    83671955

    Quote Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
    HAHAHAHA! Stories like these really make me glad to have a nice home gym in my cellar.
    Ditto. It wasn't long ago that I was lifting at Ballys that I saw the most ridiculous people ever. I lifted at one here in Philly and my god I'm so glad to be out of there. The people were rude, loud and this 1 guy always wore a Dallas shirt. What a dick. It does get really crowded around this time of year. You get the soccer Moms and a lot of young kids. For some reason they like to lift in groups.

  16. #16
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,178
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Even my shithole of a gym gets these people. I started training earlier though so hopefully I can avoid most of them.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  17. #17
    Amor Fati
    Yanick's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,231
    Rep Points
    3126249

    i'm gonna have to walk into bally's to see what retards started appearing there.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

  18. #18
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,178
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Does Bally's even have barbells and dumb bells? I always thought it was a place were women go to do crunches and spin.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  19. #19
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    533
    Rep Points
    10

    I work out at home. I fell over sideways while doing dumbell bench. Heh.

  20. #20
    Londoner
    mrmark's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,009
    Rep Points
    1500510

    we had the ol' 2 man bench today. one fat guy loaded up the bench with 3 plates each side, and whilst shouting he 'benched' for 4 reps... whilst his spotter helped him considerably on every rep. He got up and shouted 'yea!!'.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

  21. #21
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Rep Points
    3146125

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
    we had the ol' 2 man bench today. one fat guy loaded up the bench with 3 plates each side, and whilst shouting he 'benched' for 4 reps... whilst his spotter helped him considerably on every rep. He got up and shouted 'yea!!'.
    Some people just make you want to install hidden electromagnets beneath the benches and 'accidentally' flip the switch at the 'wrong' moment.

    Er... maybe that's just me...
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  22. #22
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin View Post
    Some people just make you want to install hidden electromagnets beneath the benches and 'accidentally' flip the switch at the 'wrong' moment.

    Er... maybe that's just me...
    ... I could do that.

    Or turn it on as they reach for the plates ...

  23. #23
    Stealth Moderator
    ELITE MEMBER
    MtnBikerChk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Dead last
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Points
    29513958

    Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    First of the year...sigh...trying to work with clients tonight was a nightmare.

    #1) Guy moving from talking on his cell phone to trying to pick up a hot girl to typing in his blackberry to reading a NEWSPAPER at 6:30 AT NIGHT!? He did 3 sets of bicep curls in 15 minutes that I saw.

    #2) People with no idea of space standing in front of every dumbbell rack.

    #3) The group of four douchebags doing cable crossovers for 25 minutes hogging the only double cable stack on that floor. Can't imagine doing a workout with three other guys.

    Any additions?
    How about the people that go from the bench press to the dumbell curl to the tricep machine - all in a matter of 2 minutes doing 1 set each looking lost and reading all the "how tos" on the machines (disclaimer - not that there's anything wrong with learning how to do an exercise correctly just in this given situation it makes me roll my eyes)

    This time of year I just pull the baseball cap down further over my eyes and turn UP the Ipod

  24. #24
    My Little Man
    KarlW's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney Oz
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Points
    2748183

    People doing hypers that extend way to far both ways and do them like they need to finish the set in 5 seconds. Doesn't bother me per se but I cringe when I see them thinking they're gonna rip the crap out of their back.
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

  25. #25
    SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT
    MODERATOR
    Gazhole's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    11,121
    Rep Points
    186065565

    Overhead Triceps Extensions that look like this:
    Code:
     < 0 >
       |
       |
      / \
    Sigh.
    http://www.getlifting.info

    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    oaktownboy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    smog and fog
    Posts
    4,424
    Rep Points
    7710563

    Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Does Bally's even have barbells and dumb bells? I always thought it was a place were women go to do crunches and spin.
    LMAO...from their commercials, it's obvious they aren't trying to attract dedicated lifters but the average person who has a hard time going to a gym and keeping their commitment to keeping in shape. They used to play Ace of Base..oh geez

  27. #27
    Lift or Die
    ELITE MEMBER
    BoneCrusher's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    8,588
    Rep Points
    10178302

    Quote Originally Posted by oaktownboy View Post
    LMAO...from their commercials, it's obvious they aren't trying to attract dedicated lifters but the average person who has a hard time going to a gym and keeping their commitment to keeping in shape. They used to play Ace of Base..oh geez
    Lol ... they just want your banking info to show up.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    oaktownboy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    smog and fog
    Posts
    4,424
    Rep Points
    7710563

    what's even more interesting is their locations are very out of the way (at least in the Bay Area).

  29. #29
    Registered User
    katt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,400
    Rep Points
    29652394

    How about the people that do a gazillion dips but only go down half way instead of parallel?? Makes me want to go over and push them down all the way

  30. #30
    My Little Man
    KarlW's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sydney Oz
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Points
    2748183

    A new gym in my area has opened called "Beach House Fitness Studio" and I don't live anywhere near the beach. They have pictures of skinny guys and gals sitting on fitness balls on polished floorboards in an empty room looking way too happy with themselves.
    What this means is that when we drop a ball and it falls to the ground, it wasn't the ball that moved (down to the ground), but the ground that moved (up to the ball)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. maybe i'm an idiot
    By Coop817 in forum Mex Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
  2. Mountain lion sightings around Greenwich, CT
    By Gregzs in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
  3. Gym Idiot Sightings 2009
    By Dazino in forum Training
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
  4. Resolutionist Sightings Thread
    By ponyboy in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->