NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Can't Prove It

Thread: Can't Prove It

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Can't Prove It

I ran across an across an article on T-Nation titled "Can't Prove It".

The article asks serveral coaches/trainers something about weight training that they believe to be true, but for which there is no real scientific proof. It's a pretty interesting read.

I like the part about cardio workouts, but I'm not so hot with the last piece on squats.

Rep Points

sounds very interesting, thanks

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That was fun.

Yeah not keen on the last part although I have thought that myself.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yep, sometimes educated speculation can be fun.

Señor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Weeeeeeee.....

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

That is interesting about the squats and deadlifts.

If you've read 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik, he speculates how building muscle very slowly and over a long period of time will help strengthen the connective tissues far better than going for the gold as soon as possible. In other words, add weight very slowly and everything will keep up; add it too quickly and your muscles will outgrow the connective tissues. I wonder whether it's true.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin View Post
    That is interesting about the squats and deadlifts.

If you've read 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik, he speculates how building muscle very slowly and over a long period of time will help strengthen the connective tissues far better than going for the gold as soon as possible. In other words, add weight very slowly and everything will keep up; add it too quickly and your muscles will outgrow the connective tissues. I wonder whether it's true.
    Maybe for a dominate mesomorph, but maybe not for your average person.

I wonder if there has been any studies on this.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post

The point of the article were ideas that had no (or little) scientific backing.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

good read.

the best part about t-bag is not the article itself, but the morons that post after it.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Did they ask stupid shit like, "How many carbs"?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Did they ask stupid shit like, "How many carbs"?

No, they are on a whole nother lever as far as moronic goes.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Lol

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Cool read. I usually don't read TCs stuff, but that was worthwhile.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Lexen Xtreme

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post

That, and possibly when you're a noobie.... The first 6-12 months of training.

Rep Points

yeah I enjoyed that one, what are your guys thoughts on the cardio theory?

I think I've reached a plateau on mt fat loss with slow and steady cardio which usually lasts between 35-45 minutes a time, I got really good results at the start but not so much now.

Was gonna mix things up starting next week and try and incorporate more HIIT and changing my weights routine from a body part split to upper/lower.

Any feedback will really appreciated.

flawless

Rep Points

Take myself for example; I trained 8 years to improve football performance and then 4 years for Olympic lifting. During those 12 years my training was heavily "lower half dominant" because I figured that I needed a lot more leg than upper body strength.

In fact, during my first two years of training I only trained legs (and I trained them 4-5 times per week)! Okay, fast-forward to the present time: I can actually train legs only once every 2 weeks with a few sets of squats and they will grow.

I can gain more leg size with 5 total sets of squats per week than most can with a myriad of exercises and more complex training techniques. However, my chest grows very slowly (as an Olympic lifter, training chest was a big no-no) and requires more frequent and more intense stimulation. Why is that? A lot of it has to do with the fact that my nervous system is "good" at recruiting the HT motor-units in my legs because it had a lot of practice at that.

Another example is Sébastien Cossette (known as Da Freak) who is well known for his huge traps. Yet, we hardly ever used any trap exercises with him. Otherwise they'd grow too big in comparison to other body parts.

Sébastien's father used to own a convenience store. Sébastien worked there and spent his days carrying boxes and that put a tremendous amount of stress on the traps. He did this for years and as a result his traps became insanely easy-responders. However, when he was young he didn't really train his legs intensely (like most kids his age) and as a result they grow slower than his back, biceps, and shoulders.

The bottom line is that the more efficient your CNS is at recruiting HT motor-units within a muscle, the better that muscle responds to training.
    Is this true? The reason i ask is because my legs seem to grow a little slower in comparison to my upper body. Should i work my legs a lot more frequently just so the CNS will be efficient at recruiting HT motor-units within that muscle or just continue doing what i do?

I also don't understand this because people always say that you grow outside of the gym, not in. So, i would need to rest, eat and sleep well. If that's the case, then why did he train legs 4-5 times per week?

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That section baffled me as well. Kind of goes against what you hear most of the time here. cuz you know someone will say they have an "arm day" cuz of the fact that they believe their arms dont grow.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well, he says 'use the muscles a lot'. That doesn't mean you have to work to failure or even at high intensities a lot. Ergo, you train the muscle often, just not with high intensities.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    Well, he says 'use the muscles a lot'. That doesn't mean you have to work to failure or even at high intensities a lot. Ergo, you train the muscle often, just not with high intensities.
    That's what I was thinking. It could be just another way to shock the body.

What I don't quite understand is how someone can train something biweekly and still see gains. I mean, people train to failure weekly sometimes, so what do they train to when their frequency is biweekly?
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169 View Post
    Is this true? The reason i ask is because my legs seem to grow a little slower in comparison to my upper body. Should i work my legs a lot more frequently just so the CNS will be efficient at recruiting HT motor-units within that muscle or just continue doing what i do?

I also don't understand this because people always say that you grow outside of the gym, not in. So, i would need to rest, eat and sleep well. If that's the case, then why did he train legs 4-5 times per week?
    Because he was training his upper body less to compensate. You can train a muscle more frequently, and your body will adapt to that stress. However, you are going to get better results if you lower the volume used on other body parts so your recovery resources can be used for the body part receiving the most stimulation.

1RM Videos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danchubbz View Post
    yeah I enjoyed that one, what are your guys thoughts on the cardio theory?

I think I've reached a plateau on mt fat loss with slow and steady cardio which usually lasts between 35-45 minutes a time, I got really good results at the start but not so much now.

Was gonna mix things up starting next week and try and incorporate more HIIT and changing my weights routine from a body part split to upper/lower.

Any feedback will really appreciated.
    definately use HIIT, try some 1min hard/1min very easy - repeat, along with upper/lower twice a week. I hit bf in the 7's with good diet, 5x5 upper/lower, no cardio. (id advise not to do 5x5 for long on a cut diet, i ended up hurting my shoulder after 4wks)

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    definately use HIIT, try some 1min hard/1min very easy - repeat, along with upper/lower twice a week. I hit bf in the 7's with good diet, 5x5 upper/lower, no cardio. (id advise not to do 5x5 for long on a cut diet, i ended up hurting my shoulder after 4wks)
    Cheers mate.

flawless

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    Because he was training his upper body less to compensate. You can train a muscle more frequently, and your body will adapt to that stress. However, you are going to get better results if you lower the volume used on other body parts so your recovery resources can be used for the body part receiving the most stimulation.
    So, if i have been putting stress on my whole body equally, would it be wise to lower the volume just a tad bit on my upper body and increase the volume a tad bit on my lower body to compensate for it? I don't mean to come off as if my upper body totally dominates my legs because it isn't. I'm still well-proportioned but my legs do tend to grow a little slower compared to my upper body.

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    I dont know why, but this isnt coming in clearly for me. Can you make an example?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Succinct
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I dont know why, but this isnt coming in clearly for me. Can you make an example?
    Training a bodypart more frequently -> more stress on that bodypart -> more recovery required that has to come from somewhere else, like another bodypart.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post
    Training a bodypart more frequently -> more stress on that bodypart -> more recovery required that has to come from somewhere else, like another bodypart.
    I think the point is that the more you use a muscle the more it increases motor unit recruitment.

"The problem, in my opinion, is with the nervous system and not with the actual muscle tissue. Muscle tissue is muscle tissue and the adaptive process is the same regardless of what muscle we are talking about. Sure, some muscles probably have more growth potential than others, but we should be able to stimulate proportional growth to all of our muscle groups. Yet this rarely happens. Why?

The problem is neural: stubborn muscles have a higher activation threshold, meaning the nervous system isn't efficient at recruiting the HT motor-units within that muscle group.

In most cases this is due to a lack of "recruitment skills" (for a lack of better words): your CNS is not used to activating the HT motor-units in that muscle group. This is why a stubborn muscle group should be trained more often and with more targeted (as opposed to only compound movements) training.

Frequent targeted practice will increase your capacity to recruit the HT motor-units within that stubborn muscle group: you become better at it. And as you become better at recruiting the HT motor-units in a muscle group, you will "transform" this muscle into an easy-responder."

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit2169 View Post
    So, if i have been putting stress on my whole body equally, would it be wise to lower the volume just a tad bit on my upper body and increase the volume a tad bit on my lower body to compensate for it? I don't mean to come off as if my upper body totally dominates my legs because it isn't. I'm still well-proportioned but my legs do tend to grow a little slower compared to my upper body.
    Sure. That's what I started doing. I used to train my upper body a lot more. Lately I have been doing a compound lower body movement for every compound upper body movement. It's been that way for a while. As a result, my legs have improved a lot. They aren't amazing or anything, but they used to be chickenesque. I'm in better proportion now.

1RM Videos